Windows 10: Is the same SSD optimization than SSD defragmentation?

Discus and support Is the same SSD optimization than SSD defragmentation? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello all. According to this article it says that windows 10 performs monthly SSD defragmentation. I would like to ask if it's the same than... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Pablo Valcárcel Lázaro, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Is the same SSD optimization than SSD defragmentation?

Hello all.

According to this article it says that windows 10 performs monthly SSD defragmentation. I would like to ask if it's the same than optimization feature you have when you right click on ssd -> Properties -> Tools -> Optimize and from there you can select each SSD you have to optimize. Is that the same that defragment ssd or are completely different things?

Is the same SSD optimization than SSD defragmentation? 731e6ba8-2853-487b-959d-50b201fe36cb?upload=true.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

:)

Pablo Valcárcel Lázaro, Aug 4, 2020
  2. DaveM121 Win User

SSD Optimization

Hi Jack

Microsoft don't recommend optimizing an SSD only HDD's, it is just they have not removed SSD's form the optimize list . . .

With regards to TRIM, you will not find that in a search, because it is not an application, it is a function of Windows that is turned on automatically, once Windows detects an SSD

Click your Start Button, then just type cmd and hit Enter

Paste this into Command prompt and hit Enter

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

Does that command return a 0 i

I so, trim is turned on and you are good to go . .

DaveM121, Aug 4, 2020
  3. Jack U3A Win User
    SSD Optimization

Hi Markosmalliarakis,

I'm sorry it's strange question. You have suggested I look at a link about updating to 1903 and creating installation media, not sure why. You suggest I use the op system as it's designed which I'm quite happy to do, unfortunately things can go wrong...

So can I go back to square 1? My C disk is an SSD. I suspect an SSD is as likely to break down as anything else and would need to be replaced. In view of this I create an image of this C disk to an external HDD on a monthly basis so that IF I have to replace
    the C disk I can copy the latest image onto it. Is this so strange?

As well as creating an image regularly I also create one should there be an updated version of Windows 10 as has happened to me, I now have 1903.

As explained in my initial post I found the image creation having updated to 1903 took far longer than I had expected, I discovered that 'optimization' had not taken place for 31 days. I initiated optimization after which creating the image again was much
    quicker. From this I inferred that optimization is a good thing.

Now I am told by DaveM121 I should NEVER optimize my SSD and rely on the trim feature. The recommendation by Microsoft to optimize is a mistake. I have changed my settings so optimization is disabled on the SSD. I will be creating another image on Oct 1st
    and making careful note of how long it takes.

I have looked at various websites regarding SSD optimization, a lot of conflicting information.

Jack U3A, Aug 4, 2020
  4. BulldogXX Win User

Is the same SSD optimization than SSD defragmentation?

BulldogXX, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

Is the same SSD optimization than SSD defragmentation?

1. Is the same SSD optimization than SSD defragmentation? - Similar Threads - same SSD optimization

2. optimize ssd or not

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    optimize ssd or not: Hi, I'm reading all kind of things about obtimizing my ssd or not using Windows "Defragment and Optimize Drives". Apparently there is or was a bug with Windows wrongly degramenting the ssd. What should I do now ? Keep "Scheduled optimization" turned off for my ssds ? Or...
  3. Disabling SSD Scheduled optimization Defragmentation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disabling SSD Scheduled optimization Defragmentation: I've read that one of the hints to increase the SSD's lifespan and to prevent losing data is through: Optimize Drives / Scheduled optimization / Off Disable. Is that true? Can disabling the scheduled optimization frequency e.g. weekly prevent early damage of SSD? What...
  4. SSD optimize

SSD optimize: I know this has been beaten to death. The answer seems to depend upon the person answering. I cannot figure out whether I should turn windows on or off and if on, for what frequency a month or a week. Thee is a lot of Google gossip that all SSDs should not be optimized then...
  5. using ssd when i checked in defragmente to optimize the driver

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    using ssd when i checked in defragmente to optimize the driver: i am using ssd when i checked in defragmente to optimize the driver it always says need to optimize on the latest version 2004 this issue has so how to optimize the ssd or get rid of it...
  6. SSD Optimization

in Windows 10 Customization
    SSD Optimization: I've recently had to install the 1903 Feature Update. I had delayed this by changing settings to indicate I was on a metered connection and Microsoft gave me the option to update. Eventually they must have lost patience and I no longer had the option. Previous Feature updates...
  7. SSD optimize

SSD optimize: I don't know anything about the SSD in my machine. I have Windows optimizer set for monthly as I thought we should do. Please correct me if I am wrong. Then I read the following and wonder if all this is necessary for the average user to treat the SSD properly? Things You...
  8. SSD Optimization help

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SSD Optimization help: Hi,I have an ssd and I need to somehow make trim to work,as hard disk sentinel sees that it isn't at it's peak performance,but I have a problem I am unsure whether or not optimize drives app or whatever it is(which is windows's defragmentation app) will trim or defragmentate...
  9. Defragmentation of SSD's

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Defragmentation of SSD's: hey guys, since Build 14295 my SSD's defrag starts automatically . The new Build , right now 14328 changes the settings and i have to reset this manually, to prevent this to happen. Am I the only one here? Jut to let you know Jeff 48360
  10. Optimize SSD

Optimize SSD: Since I've installed a SSD, When I run Optimize it says never run-needs optimization. It will never run on it. Any suggestions? [img] 66691