Windows 10: Is The Windows 10 Free Upgrade Still Free?

Discus and support Is The Windows 10 Free Upgrade Still Free? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hmm I firstly thought that free upgrade to windows 10 has end but now I see MS giving away windows 10 free again in this wsite?- Here 74024 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SkillZAZ, Jan 3, 2017.

1. SkillZAZ Win User

Is The Windows 10 Free Upgrade Still Free?

Hmm I firstly thought that free upgrade to windows 10 has end but now I see MS giving away windows 10 free again in this wsite?- Here

:)

SkillZAZ, Jan 3, 2017

2. Windows10 upgrade

windows 10 free upgrade, Jan 3, 2017
  3. Is the Windows 10 free upgrade offer still available?

Hi,

No, the Windows 10 free upgrade offer ended on July 29, 2016.
    To have qualified for the free offer, all upgrades must have completed and reached the “Welcome” screen by 11:59 PM UTC-10 (Hawaii) on July 29th; this is one worldwide point in time.

Windows 10 will continue to be available for purchase, either on a
    device
    or as a full version of the software.
    A discounted "upgrade" version of Windows 10 will not be for sale.

You can find answers to these and other questions about the upgrade to Windows 10 at the
    Upgrade to Windows 10: FAQ.

Rohit Chettri, Jan 3, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Well, it does say:
    To get started, you will first need to have a license to install Windows 10
    - but unhelpfully doesn't seem to say how.

Amusingly I see:
    We noticed you are running Windows 10. If you would like to update to the latest version, click Update now.

Er.. I am running the latest. Oh well, computers/web pages are only as good as the programmers.

dalchina, Jan 3, 2017
  5. SkillZAZ Win User
    Ahh I didn't actually got what were you tryin to say, but I just want to ask is the media creation tool resumable? I mean can I pause-resume the windows 10 upgrade?

SkillZAZ, Jan 3, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    1. As of a couple of days ago it was being reported that the upgrade is still activating for free.

2. The Media Creation Tool is not resumable.

NavyLCDR, Jan 3, 2017
  7. Microsoft has officially announced it is over. But as NavyLCDR posted, it appears to "unofficially" still be giving out Digital Licenses. The Media Creation Tool is used by most, just for downloading and creating install media. Other than updating the image you get via the MCT, I don't think a whole lot of other changes have been made to since it was created. The fact that it is still there, doesn't necessarily mean it will be a free upgrade. The Windows 10 MCT will likely still be the long after the free upgrade is over. The Windows 8.1 MCT is still up. There is one for Windows 7 too. Access Denied

alphanumeric, Jan 3, 2017
  8. Is The Windows 10 Free Upgrade Still Free?

Caledon Ken, Jan 3, 2017
  9. CarlSD Win User
    A friend of mine updated his wife's computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10 less than a month ago. Her computer never had Windows 10 installed during the 'free' upgrade offer so there was no 'digital entitlement' registered with MS for her computer.

He used her Windows 7 product key during the Windows 10 install and it installed and activated without a problem and he didn't use the assistive technologies 'loophole'.

I've seen the same story appear in quite a few places over the last several months.

So, it appears the 'free' Windows 10 upgrade offer didn't really finish on July 29th last year after all.

CarlSD, Jan 3, 2017
  10. There were a few write ups about this and why. The one that stuck with me was the comment that I read at least twice, " How would Microsoft respond if they left the gates wide open and nobody came? "

The media would still hound them for take up numbers and when numbers were low the media would turn it into "Microsoft can't give away Windows 10". Ouch !!

Microsoft announces formal closure and the media swims away. Then through the grape vine people discover and try different avenues. Microsoft obviously knows they are there and could and may close them down in a heart beat.

Until then, users win, they get their OS upgraded, Microsoft wins, one more machine on the way to a billion.

Caledon Ken, Jan 3, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Except that no new discovery or different avenues are required. It's still working just exactly the same as it always has.

NavyLCDR, Jan 3, 2017
  12. Superfly Win User
    I had predicted that the cut-off date would be extended (but not unofficially... LOL) , the "Billion user base" is primary and Win 10 uptake has not been as expected... thus 'till then, happy days *Smile

Superfly, Jan 3, 2017
  13. Is The Windows 10 Free Upgrade Still Free?

Free upgrade might end earliest after Creator's Update, MS has to alter MCT/ISO to accommodate for changes.

TairikuOkami, Jan 3, 2017
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    If you have valid retail W7 / W8 / W8.1 products you can still upgrade FREE. Enter the key of your qualifying product.

I'm still using some of my old Technet keys - and the upgrade works fine.

Note though edition must be similar --you can go from HOME-->HOME or with W7 PRO / ULTIMATE -->PRO.

I last did an upgrade yesterday (Jan 4).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 4, 2017
  15. Borg 386 Win User
    Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade | ZDNet

Borg 386, Jan 4, 2017
Thema:

1. Is The Windows 10 Free Upgrade Still Free? - Similar Threads - Free Upgrade Still

2. Is windows 11 upgrade still available for free?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is windows 11 upgrade still available for free?: I’m wanting to purchase a refurbished Lenovo T480 with windows 10 & was wanting to know if windows 11 is still free. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-windows-11-upgrade-still-available-for-free/3f220c09-d559-4d88-95f2-db3fddb25afe
  3. Is windows 11 upgrade still available for free?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is windows 11 upgrade still available for free?: I’m wanting to purchase a refurbished Lenovo T480 with windows 10 & was wanting to know if windows 11 is still free. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-windows-11-upgrade-still-available-for-free/3f220c09-d559-4d88-95f2-db3fddb25afe
  4. Is it still possible to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 for Free ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it still possible to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 for Free ?: I got one Windows 7, but I don't know, if I can upgrade it to Windows 10 for free any more.I just want confirmation. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-still-possible-to-upgrade-windows-7-to/6024c546-7331-4237-8ad5-89c4751790d5
  5. Is it still possible to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 for Free ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it still possible to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 for Free ?: I got one Windows 7, but I don't know, if I can upgrade it to Windows 10 for free any more.I just want confirmation. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-still-possible-to-upgrade-windows-7-to/6024c546-7331-4237-8ad5-89c4751790d5
  6. Is free Windows 10 upgrade still legitimate?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is free Windows 10 upgrade still legitimate?: I recently did a free upgraded of my Windows 7 computer to Windows10 using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. Even though the free upgrade offer expired about four years ago, the new install of Windows 10 was activated using a digital licence supplied by MS. I see there...
  7. Can windows 7 still free upgrade to Windows 10

Can windows 7 still free upgrade to Windows 10: Dear Experts, Can i confirm that , as of now are we still able free upgrade windows 7 to windows 10 ... i just tested a few machines, used the product key from the sticker Windows 7 Product Key and try activate, it was success .... is this the right way or please...
  8. Is it possible to still upgrade to W10 for free?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to still upgrade to W10 for free?: Hi all - I've been reading a few articles of recent vintage that claim if I have a valid Windows 7 x64 Product Key, I can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro x64 for free. Seems that the 1809 MCT doesn't work anymore for this purpose, so I wanted to find the real truth among...
  9. Free upgrades are still free February 9

Free upgrades are still free February 9: A tale of two laptops - wife's laptop, licensed on Windows 10 Home only and spare laptop, previously licensed on both Windows 10 Home and Pro. Laptops are different manufacturers and models. Wife's laptop needed repair, so moved her hard drive to spare laptop. As expected,...
  10. I've still not used the FREE Windows 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I've still not used the FREE Windows 10 upgrade: Brink , I've still not used the FREE Windows 10 upgrade, What are your suggestions for me , before this offer expires ? No more than I know how to keep from facing issues later . 53146