Windows 10: Is The Windows 10 Free Upgrade Still Free?

Discus and support Is The Windows 10 Free Upgrade Still Free? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I did a free upgrade of a Windows 8.1 system to Windows 10 yesterday. Did nothing special, just mounted the ISO and ran startup under Windows 8.1.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SkillZAZ, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Ztruker Win User

Is The Windows 10 Free Upgrade Still Free?

I did a free upgrade of a Windows 8.1 system to Windows 10 yesterday. Did nothing special, just mounted the ISO and ran startup under Windows 8.1. After installation completed, Windows 10 was activated.

Ztruker, Jan 5, 2017
  2. Berton Win User

Following the earlier post in this thread I Upgraded an HP G60 Notebook from Vista to Win7 Home [using an unused Upgrade Product Key from the 3-disc-pack we used to be able to get], installed SP1 from disc and got Activated. Then I followed the information in that link of You Can Still Upgrade to Windows 10 for Free, Even After Offer Expired - TechSpot to get Win10. After stalling in the Install phase at 99% twice I turned off Windows Update in services.msc, sure enough the old saying still applies, the third time is a charm. I got Version 1607 Build 14393.0 and turned Windows Update back on, checked for updates and got Build 14393.576 along with Windows Defender updates and an updated driver for the nVidia Display Adapter [that HP didn't have on their site]. Things are fine.

Berton, Jan 5, 2017
  3. cereberus Win User
    Of course, this forum does not (rightly) condone use of the assistative programme to upgrade if the user does not genuinely require assistance.

Indeed (shamefully) many abused this and MS stated they may need to withdraw this programme, making it a requirement for genuine persons to contact MS making life harder for such persons.

cereberus, Jan 6, 2017
  4. strollin Win User

The article by Ed Bott referenced by Borg386 does NOT rely on the assistive technologies program in order to get the upgrade. It points you to the MS standard Windows 10 download page where you can install Win 10 or download the Upgrade Tool. It seems only the GWX app has been discontinued by MS at this point.

strollin, Jan 6, 2017
  5. As near as I can tell, like you said, only the GWX App has been removed. On paper, and on the Internet, Microsoft States the free offer is over. But you can still get it by the usual means, Digital Licenses are still being given out under the old rules. And you don't even actually have to upgrade first. Just input your qualifying Windows 7 or 8/8.1 key and activate. The tap could be turned off at any time though, with no notice. *Wink

EDIT: Disclaimer, I have no way to test it myself. All my PC's now have multiple Digital Licenses for Home, Pro and Education as a result of test installs I've done. I'm just going by reports of others that it still works. The last free upgrade I did was weeks ago.

alphanumeric, Jan 6, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Completely incorrect. If the person is upgrading to the same version and edition of Windows 10 from and installed Windows 7 or 8, the upgrade will not even ask for a product key, the user can keep their programs and files, and the Windows 10 will activate with the matching generic Windows 10 product key using the existing Windows 7 or 8 product key as the basis for the digital license.

If the user wants to upgrade by doing a clean install of Windows 10 then they do a clean install of Windows 10 and skip entering a product key. Still as of less than 24 hours ago, after the Windows 10 is installed they can go to the activation screen, click change product key, and enter a matching Windows 7 or 8 product key to activate it.

If you want to upgrade your Windows 10 Home to Pro using a Windows 7 or 8 Pro product key, then you first trigger the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro by changing the product key to the Windows 10 Pro generic product key. Once the upgrade to Pro is finished, it will not be activated, then you go back to the activation screen and enter the Windows 7 or 8 Pro product key to activate it. This exact procedure used to be published on the Microsoft website, including the Windows 10 Pro generic product key to use, but they removed that section when the free upgrade period "officially ended".

NavyLCDR, Jan 6, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Because it failed on one computer with obvious problems does not mean that it won't work on any computer.

Right here in this thread:
    https://www.tenforums.com/installati...tml#post905902

https://www.tenforums.com/installati...tml#post906483

https://www.tenforums.com/installati...tml#post906903

https://www.tenforums.com/installati...tml#post907032

Notice in particular this one:
    A proper upgrade to the correct version of Windows 10 from an installed Windows 7 or 8 has never even asked for a product key and still doesn't. People get asked for product keys during the upgrade when they are either attempting to upgrade to the wrong version/editions of Windows 10 or there is something wrong with their current Windows activation like they are using an illegal activation method.

NavyLCDR, Jan 6, 2017
  8. Berton Win User

The Notebook I mentioned earlier in this thread came with Vista, I Upgraded it to Win7, installed SP1 then used the referenced method to further Upgrade to Win10 and Win10 never asked for the Product Key from Win7. The final reboot of the installation showed Win10 as Activated.

I noticed one difference from earlier Upgrades, the install.esd file at 2.9GB is a few hundred MB smaller than what I'd saved on those other computers.

Berton, Jan 6, 2017
  9. @ Avocado >> Use the wrong ISO and you will get asked for a key. Example, Use the Home "Single Language" ISO thinking its Home, when you should be using the multi edition ISO, and you get prompted for a key.
    Upgrade to the correct version of Windows 10 using the correct install media (ISO) and you won't be asked to enter a key. Assuming your current install is legally activated that is.

alphanumeric, Jan 6, 2017
  10. WOW, this article does seem to be at least tacitly suggesting that folks do the "wrong" thing, despite the little CYA disclaimer tacked on at the end about doing the right thing:
    The author mentions the Assistive Technologies option FIRST and FOREMOST, even as it likely applies to very few people and likely has already been used by those who legitimately qualify for it.
    That hovers just barely this side of Kosher.

Just my two cents and worth less.*Smile

MM

P.S. @Caledon Ken, I am NOT in any way suggesting that you were/are promoting lying to get Win10. I merely quoted your post because it contains the link to the TechSpot article.*Smile

MoxieMomma, Jan 6, 2017
  11. Fafhrd Win User
    Last time I had the opportunity to successfully upgrade a system to Windows 10 from a qualifying OS was in October 2016. As long as the genuineticket.xml file is the basis for validating an installation for activation during updates or installations, there is little chance of the "free" upgrade becoming unavailable. It may be that future setup versions will prevent this. If an earlier RTM version of Windows 10 like 10586 is used for installation or upgrade, which has numerous alternative pathways to activation, there is little reason to suppose that activation will not follow automatically.

Fafhrd, Jan 7, 2017
  12. Berton Win User
    Just did another Upgrade from Win7 w/SP1 to Win10, both Home versions. Win7 was activated and the install of Win10 Version 1607 Build 14393.0 is activated, now downloading the latest update. The only thing with this latest is the install.esd file never showed up.

Berton, Jan 7, 2017
  13. Is The Windows 10 Free Upgrade Still Free?

I know this is an old thread but thought I might be able to get an update from the members

I have a Lenovo E530 running WIndows 7 Pro. OEM License. All valid stuff.

Does anyone know if the upgrade is still being performed for free to Win 10 for OEM licenses.

I assume I just use the tool and take the option "Upgrade this PC"

I used ShowKeyPlus and received an OEM key and an "Installed" key. Of course if process is still working it will just use keys it needs without asking. Thing I was concerned with was OEM license and it not being a Retail.

Any recent usage of the tool and upgrade process? Anyone know of an issue with OEM licenses.

Thank you all.

Caledon Ken, Jun 30, 2017
  14. Berton Win User
    I've done the free Upgrade on several OEM machines. As far as I can see the only thing that actually expired was the GWX/Get Windows 10 application. I'd try the Media Creation Tool to download what is needed, either an .iso file to use in burning the bootable install DVD or the bootable USB Thumb drive [use 8GB or larger, every thing on it will be deleted]. I've used it several times without issue.

Berton, Jun 30, 2017
  15. Thanks Berton. When you create USB key, which I have, do you just run "Setup"?

Thanks again.

Caledon Ken, Jun 30, 2017
Thema:

1. Is The Windows 10 Free Upgrade Still Free? - Similar Threads - Free Upgrade Still

2. Is windows 11 upgrade still available for free?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is windows 11 upgrade still available for free?: I’m wanting to purchase a refurbished Lenovo T480 with windows 10 & was wanting to know if windows 11 is still free. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-windows-11-upgrade-still-available-for-free/3f220c09-d559-4d88-95f2-db3fddb25afe
  3. Is windows 11 upgrade still available for free?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is windows 11 upgrade still available for free?: I’m wanting to purchase a refurbished Lenovo T480 with windows 10 & was wanting to know if windows 11 is still free. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-windows-11-upgrade-still-available-for-free/3f220c09-d559-4d88-95f2-db3fddb25afe
  4. Is it still possible to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 for Free ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it still possible to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 for Free ?: I got one Windows 7, but I don't know, if I can upgrade it to Windows 10 for free any more.I just want confirmation. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-still-possible-to-upgrade-windows-7-to/6024c546-7331-4237-8ad5-89c4751790d5
  5. Is it still possible to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 for Free ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it still possible to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 for Free ?: I got one Windows 7, but I don't know, if I can upgrade it to Windows 10 for free any more.I just want confirmation. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-still-possible-to-upgrade-windows-7-to/6024c546-7331-4237-8ad5-89c4751790d5
  6. Is free Windows 10 upgrade still legitimate?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is free Windows 10 upgrade still legitimate?: I recently did a free upgraded of my Windows 7 computer to Windows10 using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. Even though the free upgrade offer expired about four years ago, the new install of Windows 10 was activated using a digital licence supplied by MS. I see there...
  7. Can windows 7 still free upgrade to Windows 10

Can windows 7 still free upgrade to Windows 10: Dear Experts, Can i confirm that , as of now are we still able free upgrade windows 7 to windows 10 ... i just tested a few machines, used the product key from the sticker Windows 7 Product Key and try activate, it was success .... is this the right way or please...
  8. Is it possible to still upgrade to W10 for free?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to still upgrade to W10 for free?: Hi all - I've been reading a few articles of recent vintage that claim if I have a valid Windows 7 x64 Product Key, I can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro x64 for free. Seems that the 1809 MCT doesn't work anymore for this purpose, so I wanted to find the real truth among...
  9. Free upgrades are still free February 9

Free upgrades are still free February 9: A tale of two laptops - wife's laptop, licensed on Windows 10 Home only and spare laptop, previously licensed on both Windows 10 Home and Pro. Laptops are different manufacturers and models. Wife's laptop needed repair, so moved her hard drive to spare laptop. As expected,...
  10. I've still not used the FREE Windows 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I've still not used the FREE Windows 10 upgrade: Brink , I've still not used the FREE Windows 10 upgrade, What are your suggestions for me , before this offer expires ? No more than I know how to keep from facing issues later . 53146