Windows 10: Is there a better file-search utility than the one in Win Explorer ?

Discus and support Is there a better file-search utility than the one in Win Explorer ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The one in Windows Explorer is for too slow. I search for a file and it says "working on it..." for ages. Its much faster opening a CMD window and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bansaw, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Bansaw Win User

Is there a better file-search utility than the one in Win Explorer ?

The one in Windows Explorer is for too slow.
    I search for a file and it says "working on it..." for ages.

Its much faster opening a CMD window and searching dir myfile*.* /s
    Is there a utility that is good? (Dont mind paying a few $)

:)

Bansaw, Jan 6, 2020

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Jan 6, 2020
  3. setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Jan 6, 2020
  4. Tryx3 Win User

Index search in File Explorer

You can search in Windows 10 File explorer in exactly the same way as you did in Windows 7 Windows explorer. The search box in File explorer has not changed its functionality at all. If you are in, say, the My documents folder then using the search box
    confines the search to that folder tree.

The question of how to set that keyboard button to open up File explorer is not as straightforward.

• That keyboard button was created by your keyboard maker and it will have been supplied with a maker's utility that assigned it the function of opening Windows explorer.
    • This maker's utility is not part of Windows.
    • You need to ask the keyboard maker for a Windows 10-compatible version of the utility.
    • Unless you can find the utility in your Start menu & it turns out to be intuitive to use, you also need to ask the keyboard maker for instructions about using the utility so that you can assign that keyboard button to open File explorer [almost all these
      utilities were user customisable]. From your brief description, I think it has defaulted to opening Cortana instead.
    • If the keyboard maker is no help then see if there are user forums for that brand and search them for advice about Windows 10 versions & customising the key's actions.

I would hazard the guess that the original keyboard utility is already sufficiently Windows 10 compatible. So the only real difficulty you might have is in getting instructions for customising it but even this might be easy once you find the utility [the
    last time I had a keyboard with special buttons, its utility had a special section for picking the required action and it was immediately clear how to use it].

Best of luck,

Denis

Tryx3, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Is there a better file-search utility than the one in Win Explorer ? - Similar Threads - better file search

2. is cortana better than alexa

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is cortana better than alexa: I need to set up Cortana or Alexa I know which one to use https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-cortana-better-than-alexa/415fa570-41d8-4a86-92e1-423af2e72035
  3. is cortana better than alexa

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is cortana better than alexa: I need to set up Cortana or Alexa I know which one to use https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-cortana-better-than-alexa/415fa570-41d8-4a86-92e1-423af2e72035
  4. Win 11 File Explorer layout is worse than in Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 File Explorer layout is worse than in Win 10: With Windows 11 the spacing between lines in lists of files has been almost doubled - this means in directories with lots of files in a lot more scrolling is needed to find the file you want, and it is harder to see all the files at a glance. Please either reinstate the...
  5. Win 11 File Explorer layout is worse than in Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 File Explorer layout is worse than in Win 10: With Windows 11 the spacing between lines in lists of files has been almost doubled - this means in directories with lots of files in a lot more scrolling is needed to find the file you want, and it is harder to see all the files at a glance. Please either reinstate the...
  6. Windows File Explorer Indexing; Index Rebuild for better search results

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows File Explorer Indexing; Index Rebuild for better search results: So, in Windows File Explorer I went to View/Options/Change folder and search options then clicked Restore Defaults on all three tabs: General, view, and search because of a whole other issue that I fixed later and has nothing to do with my current issue.BUT by clicking...
  7. File Explorer Win 10 - Search Issues

in Cortana
    File Explorer Win 10 - Search Issues: Hi, I want to search for a certain word in a particular folder in File Explorer. This folder contains subfolders and documents like Word documents and others. Here are the issues: 1. Once in the folder, when I do Ctrl-F, I see the search box in the upper right, but: A It...
  8. how to get more than one instance of file explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to get more than one instance of file explorer: I used to right-click File Explorer in the task bar and I'd get a new instance of File Explorer. Now, it shows me a list of folders. Left-click gives me an instance of File Explorer. If I left-click again it closes that instance. Then click it again, I get the one instance....
  9. File Explorer Search Win 10 vs Win 7

File Explorer Search Win 10 vs Win 7: In Win 7 file search, I could create custom searches by selecting multiple folders across multiple drives. For instance, I could search for "filename" in folders named "DATA" on drive F, G, H, I and J. and not bother with the first five drives, or the other stuff on those...
  10. Win 10 File Explorer Search History

Win 10 File Explorer Search History: I had a number of search windows open when File Explorer crashed. I would like to recover all of the search strings from "Search History" but the Recent Searches dropdown list only has a few of them. How can I access the full list? Thanks....