Windows 10: Is there a character limit to the comment property in windows file explore?

Discus and support Is there a character limit to the comment property in windows file explore? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; As the title states, I am wondering if there is a limit to the amount of information I can store in the comment property.With this I mean, if you right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JorrenSchepers, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Is there a character limit to the comment property in windows file explore?

As the title states, I am wondering if there is a limit to the amount of information I can store in the comment property.With this I mean, if you right click a file in windows explorer, go to properties, then open the details tab, one of the editable fields is 'Comments'. I want to store some info in this field for mp3 files and for some files it might be quite some characters...Thanks in advance!

:)

JorrenSchepers, Dec 6, 2021

2. Displaying the Comments Property for FLAC files

Is there something special about a FLAC file that prevents Windows 10 File Explorer from displaying the contents of the Comments Property?

I am using the Comments Property field to log the catalogue numbers of my digitised record collection. When I view MP3 files with File Explorer, it displays the contents of the comments field along with the title, artist, track no, etc. However, if I convert
    the files to FLAC format, the properties remain except for the comments that now appear blank. But, if I convert the files back to MP3 then the comments reappear. So it seems that the Comments Property data is saved but File Explorer is unable to display it.

Do I have File Explorer installed and set up correctly?

Is there a problem with File Explorer itself?

Any advice gratefully received.

Mark

WirelessValve, Dec 6, 2021
  3. File explorer file properties

Hi Richard,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

I suggest you to follow the below procedure and check if you are able to add comment to the file.

• Right click on the files

• Select Properties

• Click on Details

• Move the cursor to comments tab and try typing the captions.
    Check if it allows you to type the comments.

I hope the information helps. If you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact us again. We will be happy to assist you further.

Aswin_Anand, Dec 6, 2021
  4. dab14763 Win User

Is there a character limit to the comment property in windows file explore?

File properties comments deleted

In Windows Explorer (Windows 7) I had added comments to a number of files in the Comments Tags of properties. All these comments have disappeared in Windows 10. Other info I added in other tags has remained.

dab14763, Dec 6, 2021
Thema:

Is there a character limit to the comment property in windows file explore?

1. Is there a character limit to the comment property in windows file explore? - Similar Threads - character limit comment

2. How to limit computer name characters in answer file? For example a limitation of 8 characters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to limit computer name characters in answer file? For example a limitation of 8 characters: I want to limit the number of characters of Computer Name from 15 to 8 characters in answer file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-limit-computer-name-characters-in-answer/986deac8-279f-4115-8b15-a0c8b6887b1c
  3. How to limit computer name characters in answer file? For example a limitation of 8 characters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to limit computer name characters in answer file? For example a limitation of 8 characters: I want to limit the number of characters of Computer Name from 15 to 8 characters in answer file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-limit-computer-name-characters-in-answer/986deac8-279f-4115-8b15-a0c8b6887b1c
  4. How to limit computer name characters in answer file? For example a limitation of 8 characters

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Is there a character limit to the comment property in windows file explore?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a character limit to the comment property in windows file explore?: As the title states, I am wondering if there is a limit to the amount of information I can store in the comment property.With this I mean, if you right click a file in windows explorer, go to properties, then open the details tab, one of the editable fields is 'Comments'. I...
  6. Is there a character limit to the comment property in windows file explore?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a character limit to the comment property in windows file explore?: As the title states, I am wondering if there is a limit to the amount of information I can store in the comment property.With this I mean, if you right click a file in windows explorer, go to properties, then open the details tab, one of the editable fields is 'Comments'. I...
  7. File Explorer No Longer Accessing Files' Comments Property

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer No Longer Accessing Files' Comments Property: I have Windows 10, and File Explorer has suddenly stopped accessing the Comments property in any file. Worked fine before, but now the Comments field is blank and though it allows me to edit the field after Right-click Properties, the changes don't save. I can see and edit...
  8. Character limit when renaming files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Character limit when renaming files: Hi all, windows just updated it's self and now i cant rename a file more than 26 characters, where is this option to change this? THanks! submitted by /u/ameic [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/htbcz2/character_limit_when_renaming_files/
  9. File properties comments deleted

in Windows 10 Support
    File properties comments deleted: In Windows Explorer (Windows 7) I had added comments to a number of files in the Comments Tags of properties. All these comments have disappeared in Windows 10. Other info I added in other tags has remained. 52020
  10. "Comments" field in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    "Comments" field in File Explorer: There is one available; I have included it on my Details listings. How can I assign a comment? 92733