Windows 10: Is there a difference between laptop memory sticks and desktop memory

Discus and support Is there a difference between laptop memory sticks and desktop memory in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Dell Workstation with two 8GB Kingston memory sticks and want to increase my memory to at least 64GB. Is there a difference in laptop and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Nisko, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Nisko Win User

Is there a difference between laptop memory sticks and desktop memory

I have a Dell Workstation with two 8GB Kingston memory sticks and want to increase my memory to at least 64GB. Is there a difference in laptop and desktop memory sticks (physical size, etc.)? Also, where are sites where I can look to find what I need? I've never purchased components on the internet before. Thank you.

:)

Nisko, Nov 28, 2018
  2. rastalyn Win User

Desktop not recognise memory stick

Original Title: memory

why does my desktop not recognise my memory stick

rastalyn, Nov 28, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Problem with usb port and old memory stick

Hello Steve,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. We will be glad to assist you with your issue.

• Does the issue occur when u try with different USB drive?
    • Did you install all the pending Windows update?

I suggest you to first try and check with different USB Memory stick and check if the same issue occurs. Also try using your current USB memory stick in different USB port and check. Also install all the pending Windows
    updates and check. You can also try using the Memory stick on another system and check if its working fine.

For now, you can try updating the drivers of the Memory Stick and check if it helps:

Follow the steps to update drivers from the Device Manager:

1. Right click on
    Start button, select Device Manager andEnter.

2. Find the drivers which needs to be installed and also see if there are any warning symbols. If yes update the drivers.

3. Right click on the Memory stich device and click on
    Update driver.

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Nov 28, 2018
  4. Is there a difference between laptop memory sticks and desktop memory

Desktop not recognise memory stick

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

In order to assist you in a better way please answer the below questions.

- What happens when you connect memory stick to your PC?

- Do you get any error message?

Meanwhile I suggest you to Run Hardware and Device troubleshooter
    and check if it helps.

If your computer is having problems with a recently installed device or other hardware, try using the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to fix the problem. It checks for common issues and makes sure that any new device or hardware
    attached to your computer was installed correctly.

Follow the steps given below:

• Type Troubleshooting in the search box and press Enter key.

• Click on view all option on the upper left corner.

• Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.

• Click Next to run the
      Hardware and Device Troubleshooter.

Help us with more information to assist you further.

Guru Kiran G, Nov 28, 2018
Thema:

Is there a difference between laptop memory sticks and desktop memory

1. Is there a difference between laptop memory sticks and desktop memory - Similar Threads - difference between laptop

2. “USB memory stick."

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    “USB memory stick.": I wanted to look into what I called, “USB memory sticks among other things and came up with the following term. “A small electronic device used to store digital data, more portable and robust than a hard drive.” Knowing nothing about them I have always bought inexpensive ones...
  3. memory stick

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    memory stick: i have put multiple different memory sticks into my hard drive, and each one says it cannot open i need to download an app.. what app do i download it doesnt tell me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/memory-stick/c41586ed-1f69-42e6-b50c-ad430a8df84b
  4. memory stick

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    memory stick: i have put multiple different memory sticks into my hard drive, and each one says it cannot open i need to download an app.. what app do i download it doesnt tell me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/memory-stick/c41586ed-1f69-42e6-b50c-ad430a8df84b
  5. Memory Stick not recognised

Memory Stick not recognised: Good afternoon Microsoft I have a memory stick that used to work with my HP Pavillion that has Windows 10 on it WE are now using Edge and the PC will not recognise the stick I am 69 and not to PC literate please assist Steve...
  6. memory (ram sticks)

memory (ram sticks): im going to ask this the best way I can, people are getting confused when I ask this, im getting a gaming computer going it has 4 ram slots, I have 4 ddr3 two of them are 8GB(2x4GB) 1600MHZ1.50v the other two I want to use are patriot signature line 8GB(2x4GB kit) DDR3 UDIMM...
  7. memory stick

in Windows 10 Customization
    memory stick: my memory stick is encrypted on my new computer how do I un encrypted it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/memory-stick/43828c14-f6e4-448f-b6fd-7043aea766fc
  8. Is there a difference between laptop memory sticks and desktop memory

in Windows 10 Support
    Is there a difference between laptop memory sticks and desktop memory: I have a Dell Workstation with two 8GB Kingston memory sticks and want to increase my memory to at least 64GB. Is there a difference in laptop and desktop memory sticks (physical size, etc.)? Also, where are sites where I can look to find what I need? I've never purchased...
  9. memory stick problem

memory stick problem: when I but the persons memory stick I had a problem can you help me how do you take the info from the memory stick from the other computer like wipe it off because when I go to office or others it show the other persons profile name....
  10. Difference between graphics card and memory?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Difference between graphics card and memory?: When you watch a 4k movie on your computer, does it use your graphics card or memory? When you use a lot of multiple virtual desktops (for example, I have 20 virtual desktop using the 3rd party program Dexpot), does it require a lot of the graphics card or memory? I have no...