Windows 10: is there a difference between restart and shutdown + manual reboot if fast boot is disabled ?

Discus and support is there a difference between restart and shutdown + manual reboot if fast boot is disabled ? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; just wondering, i know that if fast boot is enabled, restart is a clean boot while shutdown is a semi hibernation mode. If its turned off, do both... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Vulpera_is_coming, Mar 14, 2020.

1. is there a difference between restart and shutdown + manual reboot if fast boot is disabled ?

just wondering, i know that if fast boot is enabled, restart is a clean boot while shutdown is a semi hibernation mode. If its turned off, do both options clean boot, or is it switched around ?

submitted by /u/Vulpera_is_coming
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Vulpera_is_coming, Mar 14, 2020

2. Windows 10 Restart fails/hangs but Shutdown and manual Start works

I updated from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10.

During the installation it-self, each time Windows restarted, it hung up displaying just blue Windows logo. I had to manually shutdown and start the laptop each time and surprisingly the due installation step proceeded after start.

But finally now when Windows 10 is installed and running fine, I have one last problem.

Each time I Shutdown, I can switch on windows nicely. But if I chose Restart, it fails during start phase. It just displays Windows 10 blue logo indefinitely.

What to do?

I have tried following:

- BIOS changes

- Disabling Fast Shutdown

- Ran the command: bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

Because of this, even safe boot is not working (because in Windows 10 safe boot run only during Restart process)

_ShashankS, Mar 14, 2020
  3. BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO On Reboot

Thanks for taking the time to help me with this. I really appreciate it, and I haven't been able to find any similar issues through searching.

I have everything important already backed up.

I was trying different BIOS settings just now and discovered the following:

• With Fast Boot disabled in the BIOS (and from the Fast Boot application), I don't encounter the BSOD.
    • Windows 8.1/10 WHQL Support was disabled. I enabled it. This changed several other related settings, namely only allowing UEFI Boot Mode (which I would expect to be standard for my system and Windows version). I thought maybe this was the problem. It seemed to make no difference.
    • This BIOS has two "Fast Boot" options: "Fast Boot" and "MSI Fast Boot." According to the manual,
      I tried both (separately, as they can't both be enabled) after enabling WHQL Support, and I encounter the BSOD on the first restart every time. Still, the second reboot that occurs after the BSOD is a significantly faster boot and does not result in the BSOD.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Bits Please, Mar 14, 2020
  4. is there a difference between restart and shutdown + manual reboot if fast boot is disabled ?

Windows 8.1 Pro Slow When Restarting But Cold Boot Is Fast

Hi starvinmarvin, this is Techhelper89. I'm here to help.

Try the following troubleshooting steps:

Step 1: Disable Fast Startup and check if it works for you.

Fast startup is a new feature in Windows to help your PC start up faster after shutting down. When turned on, Windows does this by using a hybrid shutdown (a partial hibernate) method that saves only the kernel session and device drivers (system
    information) to hibernate (hiberfil.sys) file on disk instead of closing it when you shut down your PC.

Steps:

1. Press Windows + X key and click Control Panel.
    2. Click on Power options.
    3. Click on Choose what the power buttons do.
    4. Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable. If it prompts to click on yes, then click Yes.
    5. Uncheck Turn on fast startup (Recommended) under shutdown settings.
    6. Click Save changes to configure the settings.

The link I have found these steps from is slow restart problem -windows 10. (This is another post on the Microsoft Community.)

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Thanks.

834e5206-26cf-43e1-a121-0fab5d3e1d44, Mar 14, 2020
Thema:

is there a difference between restart and shutdown + manual reboot if fast boot is disabled ?

1. is there a difference between restart and shutdown + manual reboot if fast boot is disabled ? - Similar Threads - difference between restart

2. What's the difference between fast restart and regular restart? How to set my Windows 10 to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What's the difference between fast restart and regular restart? How to set my Windows 10 to...: I have Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whats-the-difference-between-fast-restart-and/fe33c101-cbfe-43c5-85ae-9bb6032617d0
  3. What's the difference between fast restart and regular restart? How to set my Windows 10 to...

in Windows 10 Customization
    What's the difference between fast restart and regular restart? How to set my Windows 10 to...: I have Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whats-the-difference-between-fast-restart-and/fe33c101-cbfe-43c5-85ae-9bb6032617d0
  4. Disable Reboot on Update and Shutdown

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disable Reboot on Update and Shutdown: Since Windows 10 v2004, when there's a pending update and you select "Update and Shutdown" on the start menu the behavior has changed for the worse. Before, when selecting Update and Shutdown, Windows would complete the first stage of the update usually 30% and then power...
  5. Disabling fast boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disabling fast boot: How can I disable fast boot for all users on my PC in one go? I have observed that when I disable fast boot through the normal way only the account I disable it on will have it disabled while all the other users will still get the fast boot and hibernation file when they...
  6. What is the difference between Shutdown and Restart?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What is the difference between Shutdown and Restart?: When I receive an order to stop what I am doing and MS force an update, it gives me the option to Restart or Shutdown." Is there any difference? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-difference-between-shutdown-and/fa211af9-a13d-43da-9f8d-a5d2973a5c77
  7. Win 10 reboots on shutdown with fast boot enabled

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 reboots on shutdown with fast boot enabled: when ever i power or go to hibernation mode my laptop freezes on a black screen for a couple of seconds and then reboots instead of powering off. Now i read something about this issue with Enduro laptops (Dual video cards) and im indeed a enduro laptop, But i can find the...
  8. Hybrid boot/fast startup causing system to reboot after shutdown.

in Windows 10 Support
    Hybrid boot/fast startup causing system to reboot after shutdown.: Recently I have observed that my system reboots after 1 sec when booting up. This happens only when I use Shutdown. I disabled the Fast Startup and now it boots correctly but very slow but that is predictable since it hybrid boot was disabled. I have windows 10 Home and...
  9. Difference between the Manual and Manual (trigger start) services

in Windows 10 Support
    Difference between the Manual and Manual (trigger start) services: Hi I noticed that some services of Windows 10 Preview although I set them on Manual, they are automatically set to "Manual (trigger start". Why? What is the difference between these two startup modes? Lastly, with these services, how do I set them to the first startup...
  10. Difference between shutdown /p and shutdown /s ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Difference between shutdown /p and shutdown /s ?: Hello, I followed Brink's tutorial here: Shut Down Computer in Windows 10 And I saw that there are 2 ways to fully shutdown Windows through cmd: /s and /p. What is the difference between these 2, if both of them are said to perform a full shutdown? Thanks 39792