Windows 10: Is there a limit in GB/TB external drive to be used on a Laptoop

Discus and support Is there a limit in GB/TB external drive to be used on a Laptoop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On a laptop there is one USB C-port, two USB 3 ports and a normal USB port. I got external drives such as 1, 2 TB, 2, 500 GB x2, 3. 250 GB x2 all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ari94, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Ari94 Win User

Is there a limit in GB/TB external drive to be used on a Laptoop

On a laptop there is one USB C-port, two USB 3 ports and a normal USB port.
    I got external drives such as
    1, 2 TB,
    2, 500 GB x2,
    3. 250 GB x2
    all these use some kind of power right? I wonder if there is any limit in Bytes MB/GB/TB I can use on one laptop?
    Or using more (I mean in Bytes) External hard drives will slow down computer,

Any explanation in this regard will be much appreciated.
    Thank you.

:)

Ari94, Nov 20, 2018

2. USB3 problem with 3 TB external hard drive.

I've just experienced the problem I've seen others are posting re USB3 external hard drives. It happens with drives formatted GPT on USB3 ports. I'm running Windows 10 1607 build 14393.187.

I have two external hard drives, both USB3, one is 3 TB formatted GPT, the other 2 TB formatted
    MBR. The 2 TB drive works with both my USB3 port and my USB2 ports, but the
    3 TB one only works with the USB2 ports. My Windows 7 Pro system doesn't have this problem.

Edit: I should add that I have a 64 GB USB3 flash drive that when plugged into the USB3 port, is immediately recognized, assigned a drive letter, and works just fine.

Edit: l mistakenly said 2 GB and 3 GB when I should've said 2 TB and 3 TB. Error corrected above Sept. 17.

Hula_Baloo, Nov 20, 2018
  3. LPoch Win User
    External HDD 1.0 TB

I have a Toshiba External 1 TB HDD. It only recognizes 7 GB available memory. Many attempts to format

are not successful. What is the correct procedure to properly format for the full capacity of the drive??

LPoch, Nov 20, 2018
  4. mac_user Win User

Reliable 1TB External Drive

I would suggest this one. WD My Passport Ultra 2 TB Externe Festplatte - WDBBKD0020BWT - USB 3.0

mac_user, Nov 20, 2018
Thema:

1. Is there a limit in GB/TB external drive to be used on a Laptoop - Similar Threads - limit external drive

2. Is there a limit in GB/TB external drive to be used on a Laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is there a limit in GB/TB external drive to be used on a Laptop: On a laptop there is one USB C-port, two USB 3 ports and a normal USB port. I got external drives such as 1, 2 TB, 2, 500 GB x2, 3. 250 GB x2 all these use some kind of power right? I wonder if there is any limit in Bytes MB/GB/TB I can use on one laptop? Or using more (I...
  3. large 4 tb drive but windows only recognizes 2 TB

large 4 tb drive but windows only recognizes 2 TB: Trying to figure out a workaround to utilize the second partition on my 4 TB drive. The drive shows an active partition of 2048 GB and an unallocated partition of 1678 GB. I cannot format, activate or do anything as all options presented when I right click are greyed out....
  4. Large 4 tb drive but Windows only recognizes 2 TB

Large 4 tb drive but Windows only recognizes 2 TB: Trying to figure out a workaround to utilize the second partition on my 4 TB drive. The drive shows an active partition of 2048 GB. I cannot format, activate or do anything....
  5. Is there an external devices limit?

Is there an external devices limit?: Is there a maximum number of external accessories that Windows 10 Home Creator's Update will accept? The system hasn't used all the letters of the alphabet yet but it won't create a new drive icon once I have 19 letters used. (Some of them are reserved by the system for USB...
  6. Backup Questions Using the Internal or an External Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup Questions Using the Internal or an External Drive: I am trying to use Windows 10 Rescue and Recovery to back up or image my entire HD. I will either backup onto my internal HD or an external HD. The Resue and Recovery does not give the option to use the C drive so it seems to me that if I created another drive or partition on...
  7. 3.0 TB exterior Haed drive

3.0 TB exterior Haed drive: I don't know if this is the right place to post this or not,my wife got me a 3TB exterior hard drive for christmas. I plugged it to my Hp 32 bit .Pc on the instructions it says to plug the hard drive into a usb 3.0 port for usb 3.0 transfer speeds I have 5 usb ports on my PC...
  8. USB 3.0 external hard drive 3+ TB GPT NTFS

USB 3.0 external hard drive 3+ TB GPT NTFS: I am aiming to get a USB 3.0 external hard drive of at least 3 TB to be formatted as a single user-data partition using the GPT organisation and NTFS, and to have it visible by Windows 10 and by Windows 7 (actually WS2008R2 SP1). Searching gives a number of views. One of...
  9. gb used

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    gb used: My system seems to be a little high on GB used (92) for what is installed. What should be the average usage?: 17404
  10. How to use external drive for programs?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to use external drive for programs?: I have been in computers since 1984. I was off any computer from about 2004 until 2010. No I was NOT in jail. *Roflmao2 Actually my ex left me and I ended up in a homeless shelter. I am very sick now and could kick the bucket at any moment. So I feel kinda bad asking for...