Windows 10: Is there a limit in GB/TB external drive to be used on a Laptop

Discus and support Is there a limit in GB/TB external drive to be used on a Laptop in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; On a laptop there is one USB C-port, two USB 3 ports and a normal USB port. I got external drives such as 1, 2 TB, 2, 500 GB x2, 3. 250 GB x2 all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Ari94, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Ari94 Win User

Is there a limit in GB/TB external drive to be used on a Laptop

On a laptop there is one USB C-port, two USB 3 ports and a normal USB port.
    I got external drives such as
    1, 2 TB,
    2, 500 GB x2,
    3. 250 GB x2
    all these use some kind of power right? I wonder if there is any limit in Bytes MB/GB/TB I can use on one laptop?
    Or using more (I mean in Bytes) External hard drives will slow down computer,

Any explanation in this regard will be much appreciated.
    Thank you.

:)

Ari94, Nov 20, 2018

2. USB3 problem with 3 TB external hard drive.

I've just experienced the problem I've seen others are posting re USB3 external hard drives. It happens with drives formatted GPT on USB3 ports. I'm running Windows 10 1607 build 14393.187.

I have two external hard drives, both USB3, one is 3 TB formatted GPT, the other 2 TB formatted
    MBR. The 2 TB drive works with both my USB3 port and my USB2 ports, but the
    3 TB one only works with the USB2 ports. My Windows 7 Pro system doesn't have this problem.

Edit: I should add that I have a 64 GB USB3 flash drive that when plugged into the USB3 port, is immediately recognized, assigned a drive letter, and works just fine.

Edit: l mistakenly said 2 GB and 3 GB when I should've said 2 TB and 3 TB. Error corrected above Sept. 17.

Hula_Baloo, Nov 20, 2018
  3. LPoch Win User
    External HDD 1.0 TB

I have a Toshiba External 1 TB HDD. It only recognizes 7 GB available memory. Many attempts to format

are not successful. What is the correct procedure to properly format for the full capacity of the drive??

LPoch, Nov 20, 2018
  4. Is there a limit in GB/TB external drive to be used on a Laptop

USB3 problem with 3 TB external hard drive.

The Dell driver detect program says my USB drivers are up to date and working properly. Device Manager says they're working properly too.

Now think about this. If my USB drivers were corrupt, why would my same brand USB3 2 TB external hard drive and my 64 GB USB3 flash drive work? I believe it's obvious that they wouldn't. So let's see if you can't come up with something
    besides that canned answer I've seen in so many posts where numerous other folks have said it didn't help them either.

FWIW I'm running a 9 month old Dell Inspiron 5559 laptop that came pre-loaded with 64 bit Windows 10 Home, 8 GB DDR3L RAM, and a 1 TB Seagate 5400 RPM hard drive.

Hula_Baloo, Nov 20, 2018
Thema:

Is there a limit in GB/TB external drive to be used on a Laptop

1. Is there a limit in GB/TB external drive to be used on a Laptop - Similar Threads - limit external drive

2. 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .: 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive . Lights up when connected with the computer then shuts off The light not the drive . Troubleshooting says device cannot start code 10 . Then , problem with the driver. Says I have best driver . Tried reinstall . Reinstall fail all the time ....
  3. 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .: 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive . Lights up when connected with the computer then shuts off The light not the drive . Troubleshooting says device cannot start code 10 . Then , problem with the driver. Says I have best driver . Tried reinstall . Reinstall fail all the time ....
  4. limit external drive access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    limit external drive access: I keep most files photo, music, video on an external solid state drive. My desktop PC runs Windows 10. How would I prevent another user of the PC, with a standard local account, from accessing the contents of this external drive? thank you...
  5. limit external drive access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    limit external drive access: I keep most files photo, music, video on an external solid state drive. My desktop PC runs Windows 10. How would I prevent another user of the PC, with a standard local account, from accessing the contents of this external drive? thank you...
  6. limit external drive access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. C drive = SSD 128 GB, D drive = Hard Drive 1 TB

C drive = SSD 128 GB, D drive = Hard Drive 1 TB: I reset my computer because Windows kept installing software on the C drive. When it loaded back up it installed windows 10 files on the C drive again. I went everything to be on the D drive. I went into settings and changed the storage to D, but how do I get windows 10 files...
  8. DiskPart formatting 1 TB external drive

DiskPart formatting 1 TB external drive: Proper drive selected, partition created. Running DISKPART> FORMAT FS=NTFS LABEL=BACKUP It's been running for over three hours and still shows only 1% complete. It must be locked up, because I can't imagine that it would take several days to format a 1 TB drive. I'm...
  9. External drive lost gb availability

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External drive lost gb availability: I recently purchased a Dell 5570-win10. Not sure I like 10 as much as seven but guess I'll get used to it. Anyway, I had a 160gb hp external drive. I stupidly used it as a recovery drive for this new Dell not realizing it would not be available for anything else to be stored...
  10. Is there a limit in GB/TB external drive to be used on a Laptoop

in Windows 10 Support
    Is there a limit in GB/TB external drive to be used on a Laptoop: On a laptop there is one USB C-port, two USB 3 ports and a normal USB port. I got external drives such as 1, 2 TB, 2, 500 GB x2, 3. 250 GB x2 all these use some kind of power right? I wonder if there is any limit in Bytes MB/GB/TB I can use on one laptop? Or using more (I...