Windows 10: Is there a list of multi-threaded applications?

Discus and support Is there a list of multi-threaded applications? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; There has been a lot of talk about new CPUs with 8 (or more) cores capable of running 16 (or more) simultaneous instruction streams (threads). But this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by bbinnard, Feb 24, 2017.

1. bbinnard Win User

Is there a list of multi-threaded applications?

There has been a lot of talk about new CPUs with 8 (or more) cores capable of running 16 (or more) simultaneous instruction streams (threads). But this has a real benefit only of an application is multi-threaded, meaning it can split it's processing job up into multiple, simultaneous instruction streams that the CPU can process in parallel.

In the world of 3D product design and 3D printing this can make a huge difference - far greater than any difference due to CPU cycle time. But so far there are very few applications that can actually do multi-threading. It would be nice to see a list of apps that are multi-threaded, since these will run much faster than single threaded ones.

:)

bbinnard, Feb 24, 2017

2. Is there a legend ANYWHERE with a complete list of Nokia indicators?

it simply means calls diverted

techbuzzireland, Feb 24, 2017
  3. grschinon Win User
    Is there a legend ANYWHERE with a complete list of Nokia indicators?

I've just checked and there's nothing like that in your manual. Boo hiss, Nokia! You're not helping people with that.

The G on its own means that there's a GPRS connection available and ready to use. If it's in a box then the connetion is active and being used. If there's a bar through it then the connection is on hold during a voice call or while a text message is being sent
    or received.

grschinon, Feb 24, 2017
  4. Is there a list of multi-threaded applications?

Only if their workload can be spread across multiple threads. This can only be done for operations that are not dependent, that can run out of sequence.

See: Parallel computing - Wikipedia

And for the record, most applications are multi-threaded. Open Task Manager > Details > Right-Click on the column headers > Select Columns > Threads. Majority of the time an application is running UI threads, processing threads, and so forth.

logicearth, Feb 24, 2017
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Nice post, but I think the OP means CPU core threads, and that's different than program threads.
    What is the relation between the number of threads and the number of CPU cores? - Quora

I don't have a server motherboard with 4 XEON proccessors.

Is there a list of multi-threaded applications? [​IMG]

For the OP:
    Some programs have a multicore option in their preferences, but usually that's for their paid versions.
    A good example is MediaMonkey:

Is there a list of multi-threaded applications? [​IMG]

Most programs only need a single CPU thread.
    A good example is when overclocking my 6700K to 5.18986GHz: Official OC Leaderboard
    I needed to use only a single core, and turn off hyperthreading to boot into Windows 10 and not BSOD(keeps the CPU cooler).
    With this single thread, I was able to use Windows, have EDGE running, play music in Groove, and validate using CPU-Z, at the same time with no problems.

Cliff S, Feb 24, 2017
  6. Well yes there is that, but when you are working in the confines of the Windows Programming Model, you generally don't work directly with CPU threads (We are not in the old DOS days anymore.) You go though Windows. Directly working with the CPU is usually something only done in very special cases on special hardware configurations and not in Windows.

Old Days: Real mode - Wikipedia
    New Days: Protected mode - Wikipedia

logicearth, Feb 24, 2017
  7. bbinnard Win User
    Yes, I am fully aware of the differences between the multiple tasks shown by Task Manager and the ability of some applications to split their workload into multiple parallel processes that can run simultaneously. It is the latter concept I was addressing.

One good example of this is the Vegas video editor program. As anyone who does video editing knows, rendering the final output to a viewable video file is the most CPU intensive part of the entire editing process. Vegas has the ability to break this into as many individual processes as its CPU can provide - on my i7 CPU I typcally specify 8; this allows the rendering process to finish in far less time than if there were only 1.

Another example is slicing a 3D printable model to produce the required GCode to run a 3D printer. Most slicing programs today are single threaded, but the one I use (Craftware) uses all the CPU power from all the i7's cores, and so it slices complex 3D models far faster than any other slicer.

My original question was whether or not there was a list of multi-thread capable programs, ,because these will always process far faster than comparable single-threaded ones. Of course, to be multi-threaded, an application's workload has to be able to be broken down into multiple parallel parts, and the application developers have to be able to write code that supports parallel processing. I recognize that this is a major departure from the single-threaded approach most software development has used to date, but my experience so far shows that multi-threading produces far greater performance improvements than relatively small improvements in CPU cycle times.

bbinnard, Feb 24, 2017
  8. Cliff S New Member

Cliff S, Feb 24, 2017
  9. bbinnard Win User
    That;s great - just what i was looking for. Thanks,

bbinnard, Feb 25, 2017
  10. Cliff S New Member
    You're welcome*Smile

Cliff S, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is there a list of multi-threaded applications? - Similar Threads - list multi threaded

2. Word Multi-level lists automatically go to single level list

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Word Multi-level lists automatically go to single level list: In my Microsoft word, no matter what I try, when I try to use multi-level lists it automatically goes back to single level list. I've closed the app, I've checked my add ons I've tried typing a list and then selecting and making it a list but when I do that it does single...
  3. Word Multi-level lists automatically go to single level list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Word Multi-level lists automatically go to single level list: In my Microsoft word, no matter what I try, when I try to use multi-level lists it automatically goes back to single level list. I've closed the app, I've checked my add ons I've tried typing a list and then selecting and making it a list but when I do that it does single...
  4. Multi-GPU, unable to set specific GPU for applications?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Multi-GPU, unable to set specific GPU for applications?: I have both an Nvidia RTX 3080 and an RTX 2070 in my system. When I go to "Graphics Settings" and I attempt to select applications, it only shows the 3080 for both "power saving" and "high performance." How am I supposed to be able to specify which GPU is going to be used for...
  5. Is there a way to totally reserve a thread for an application, telling other applications...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to totally reserve a thread for an application, telling other applications...: I'm running a game server that can only utilize a single thread. The developer of the game absolutely refuses to go multi-threaded and the application itself has a tendency to hit the tick limit. I want to reserve an entire thread for it but I can't really seem to do this...
  6. A multi-threaded softwarePFC3D-to do simulation not using all the available cores

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A multi-threaded softwarePFC3D-to do simulation not using all the available cores: Hi all, I'm using a multi-threaded softwarePFC3D developped by Itasca consulting to do some simulations.After moving to a powerful computer Intel Xeon Gold 5120T CPU 2.2GHZ 2.19 GHZ 2 Processors28 physical cores, 56 logical coresWindows10 to have rapid calculations, the...
  7. Why Aren't Core Windows Operations Multi-Threaded

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why Aren't Core Windows Operations Multi-Threaded: The Year is 2019. Mainstream multi-core/multi-threaded cpu's have been out for over 20 years. Why has Microsoft not optimized many of the basic tasks in Windows to use more than one thread. Here is an example: Disk Cleanup Utility. Doing system update / update log /...
  8. mail not in the list of applications

in Windows 10 Customization
    mail not in the list of applications: not in the list of applications https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mail-not-in-the-list-of-applications/02b269aa-c6da-4b2c-b69d-22caa3a462bf
  9. Modernizing applications for our multi-sense, multi device world

in Windows 10 News
    Modernizing applications for our multi-sense, multi device world: Tomorrow at Build 2018, Joe Belfiore and I will have the privilege of sharing with you some of the advancements in Microsoft 365 that are focused on multi-sense and multi-device experiences. Microsoft 365 allows developers to drive more productivity and engagement...
  10. Multi Monitor Application Changes

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Multi Monitor Application Changes: Im running 3 monitors. When windows goes to sleep and wakes all the open applications are moved between displays and resized. I've google'd and found some topics but, with no resolution. I'd like to be able to pin/stick an application to a display. One monitor is just a 7"...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. list of multithreaded applications