Windows 10: Is there a point in creating an image of your SSD and HD separately?

Discus and support Is there a point in creating an image of your SSD and HD separately? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; ah so I can use my image backup external 2TB hd, and also add documents to it. I was somehow worried that when you boot the bootable CD, insert the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by C0zzie, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Is there a point in creating an image of your SSD and HD separately?

No. You'd just open Macrium, navigate to the image file on the external, and tell Macrium to restore that file to the destination of your choice.

Do yourself a favor: pretend your SSD fails one minute from now and do what you have to do to convince yourself that you know what to do by walking partway through the procedure. You need to understand the menu choices and need to confirm your "boot disk" will boot.

ignatzatsonic, Sep 7, 2017
  2. C0zzie Win User

I thought if PC fails, e.g it wont boot up, you load the Rescue CD, insert the external HD with the images, select correct image and restore.
    Or is the "open Macrium, navigate to the image file on the external, and tell Macrium to restore that file to the destination of your choice" a procedure for if your PC still loads normally, but something isnt right and you want to restore an old image?

Yes I confirmed that my bootable CD works when I just installed the SSD 3 weeks ago. That is the only thing I have 'tested'.
    But I will definitely look into the Macrium manual more.

C0zzie, Sep 7, 2017
  3. Stevekir Win User
    I used to think that but I haven't seen any Windows update for weeks (attachment). Thanks for the tip-off about next Tuesday. I will make a manual Macrium image of my SSD (C drive) before bedtime on Monday.

Attachment 152473

BTW, I backup my internal HD (Documents, Pictures etc.) regularly using FreeFileSync. It backsup only the changes that have occurred since the last BU, so is very quick despite holding 650 GB in total.

"just a storage"! Mine holds decades of images, and is backed up a second time on another drive.

Stevekir, Sep 8, 2017
  4. Is there a point in creating an image of your SSD and HD separately?

If your PC can still boot from the hard drive, boot and open Macrium from that hard drive, and then restore.

If your PC will NOT boot from the hard drive, boot from the rescue media. You will be presented with the same Macrium interface. Restore from that interface.

The choices made in Macrium are the same in either case. It's up to you to know what those choices are and to choose correctly. I'd think it's better to know that now rather than later when you are in a jam.

ignatzatsonic, Sep 8, 2017
  5. RolandJS Win User
    Just my preference: I make a full of my Data partition now and then. Just recently, I added the learning of how to make restorable incremental backups via Macrium Reflect 7 and Image for Windows 3.

RolandJS, Sep 8, 2017
  6. CountMike New Member
    According to me, backing up data is more important than backing up OS installation. OS (specially W10) and programs you can replace easy enough but precious data may be lost FOREVER !!!

CountMike, Sep 8, 2017
  7. arachnaut Win User
    That depends on your OS changes and installed programs.

I have re-located the user folders, set up links of swapfiles and internet caches to other locations. There are countless small tweaks and customizations and many, many scripts. 630 installed programs and 900+ VSTs (audio devices), most seldom used.

When I upgraded from XP to Win 7 it took me a month. I have since only done in-place upgrades of the OS - never re-installed.

I don't have any SSDs, so I have distributed things across several fast drives to help overcome rotational latencies. In the future, I might not do that if I just had a big SSD for everything and my personal stuff was in one spot.

But that would be one (or two) very large drive(s).

arachnaut, Sep 8, 2017
  8. Is there a point in creating an image of your SSD and HD separately?

SSD's fail just like Spinners so I do an Image Daily on my C: drive , it takes about 5 minutes and since I do not use restore points I find it a necessity. I also image my D: drive which contains all of my Steam games but not that often.

Josey Wales, Sep 8, 2017
  9. arachnaut Win User
    One thing I'm looking forward to in the next version of Windows for HEDT is the support for large amounts of NVRAM memory.

I hope my next computer will have enough memory surplus that I can create a RAMDisk and load Windows and important things there from a storage device.

So everything will be available at PCI memory speeds.

Backups would then be equivalent to memory dumps.

arachnaut, Sep 8, 2017
  10. RolandJS Win User
    "...create a RAMDisk and load Windows ..." I hoping you can tell us how you did it, when that time comes *Smile

RolandJS, Sep 9, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    As far as I can tell, you use GRUB to create a ramdisk, and use it to boot a virtual hardrive. Not a simple exercise but obviously has been done looking on web. However, to do this on NVRAM would cost an insane amount of cash. People skirmished with NVRAM a few years back, but SSDs have advanced enough to give most of the benefit anyway.

cereberus, Sep 9, 2017
  12. arachnaut Win User
    It doesn't have to be NVRAM, I'd be willing to re-load memory on each restart. I just want the support to run from memory that that edition may supply.

It would be expensive, but some people buy yachts, gamble, etc. You gotta have a hobby.
    The main issue is motherboard support for something near a Terabyte of memory on 8 or 16 channels - that might be years away.

No matter the SSD speed there is still a copy from disk to memory. I don't know, but I'm hoping that support will avoid the copy.

arachnaut, Sep 9, 2017
  13. RolandJS Win User

Is there a point in creating an image of your SSD and HD separately?

"..."...create a RAMDisk and load Windows ..." I meant: after you do that successfully, tell me how that was done, I'm interested in learning!

RolandJS, Sep 9, 2017
  14. arachnaut Win User
    Like my 120 Mhz Gateway Windows XP computer, all SCSI, with SCSI DAT backup and HP Scanjet scanner. Costs just $10K.

Or my old music hardware that cost $30K.

I just laugh at the current prices, they really are insane.

arachnaut, Sep 9, 2017
  15. RolandJS Win User
    My first Dell 486DX (with a 240MB HD @ $1/MG) I think was $2500+-; my first Pentium III MMX was $2K+- if memory serves me. Software ranged from DOS 3.33 to DOS 6.22, Windows 3.1 thru WFW 3.11; was forced to jump to Windows 95, later onto to 98/98SE; I had to make the jump to Windows 7 -- where I am today; I refuse to go to Windows 10.

RolandJS, Sep 9, 2017
Thema:

Is there a point in creating an image of your SSD and HD separately?

1. Is there a point in creating an image of your SSD and HD separately? - Similar Threads - point creating image

2. Separate users on separate SSD's on the same computer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Separate users on separate SSD's on the same computer.: To explain what I'm trying to do I need to explain why I'm doing it:On my PC I have a work user and a personal user, the work user is solely used for work I work from home and the personal user is everything else like gaming, messaging etc.I switch between these users quite...
  3. Separate users on separate SSD's on the same computer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Separate users on separate SSD's on the same computer.: To explain what I'm trying to do I need to explain why I'm doing it:On my PC I have a work user and a personal user, the work user is solely used for work I work from home and the personal user is everything else like gaming, messaging etc.I switch between these users quite...
  4. Separate users on separate SSD's on the same computer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Creating a system image on a secondary SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating a system image on a secondary SSD: I have 3 drives in my pc. C (Boot Drive), D (secondary SSD), and D (secondary SSD). I have been trying to create a system image and save it on my D drive, but for some reason I am getting a message stating that a system image cannot be saved on a drive that my computer uses...
  6. Creating Separate Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating Separate Folder: Hello i just wanna ask a small help. i just need to make a backup everyday automatically and created separate folders with the date so it wont overwrite the previous backup. ex. 09292019 -backup file 1 09302019 - backup file 2 10012019 - backup file 3 above example are the...
  7. Image backup keeps failing - Can't create restore point

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Image backup keeps failing - Can't create restore point: Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro today from 8.1 Pro. Trying to do an image backup (Windows 7 style) in case my disk crashes. I keep getting this error. I have both Volume Shadow Copy service and the Windows Backup service running with automatic start. Digging a little more into...
  8. Imaging a HD

in Windows 10 Support
    Imaging a HD: Will an image 223GB of 1 Tbite HD go into another 500GB HD ? 12899
  9. HD too SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    HD too SSD: Almost a year I updated my Windows 7 pro to Windows 10 Pro. Now I would like to replace my DH with an SSD. I will make a clone of the HD to the SSD with AOMEI Backupper Professional. What about my Microsoft Windows License? Will it still be valid? thanks in advance for...
  10. Image / History on separate partitions?

in Windows 10 Support
    Image / History on separate partitions?: I want to create two separate partitions on a portable usb drive. On one partition, I'd like to create a system image using the windows image-creating capability. On the other partition, I would like to use the windows history capability to maintain a continuously updated...