Windows 10: Is there a point in creating an image of your SSD and HD separately?

Discus and support Is there a point in creating an image of your SSD and HD separately? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; "..."...create a RAMDisk and load Windows ..." I meant: after you do that successfully, tell me how that was done, I'm interested in learning! We used... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by C0zzie, Sep 7, 2017.

1. arachnaut Win User

Is there a point in creating an image of your SSD and HD separately?

We used to be able to use Config.sys to make a VDisk and assign it a drive letter.

You do the current equivalent.

Then you start to install Windows on that drive letter.

Then install your programs.

When done you use an imaging program to backup that drive.

On a restart you restore that drive.

That is a clumsy way, I hope the new Fall Update Pro version has this more streamlined. That way will still need a memory copy from the drive to main memory. I'm hoping the new code will avoid that.

With an NVRAM, you would not need to restore. If a motherboard had support for backup power on the memory modules one could avoid a memory wipe.

I don't know what will be in that new fall update, but the promised non-volatile memory support seems to be a big deal in that new version.

arachnaut, Sep 9, 2017
  2. arachnaut Win User

If you want to go back far enough, I used to have a copy of Intel's 1970's CPU pricelist.
    If I recall, the 8080 had a 10 millisecond cycle time and cost over $100 and it required a whole board full of support chips (memory controller, etc.).
    That's when I decided to buy an Atari.

arachnaut, Sep 9, 2017
  3. CountMike New Member
    I kept my Atari 1040St well into 486 era. Used it mostly for Draphics 3D CAD which made files compatible with AutoCad but was much easier to use and specially much cheaper.

CountMike, Sep 9, 2017
  4. arachnaut Win User

All threads, even in highly structured forums like this one, all seem subject to the inevitable decay of entropy.

As just pointed out in this very post.

arachnaut, Sep 9, 2017
  5. CountMike New Member
    That's because we are all waiting for new build.

CountMike, Sep 9, 2017
  6. arachnaut Win User
    I meant to self-refer to my post, but you just improved on the observation!

And I continue the marathon towards madness.

arachnaut, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is there a point in creating an image of your SSD and HD separately? - Similar Threads - point creating image

2. Separate users on separate SSD's on the same computer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Separate users on separate SSD's on the same computer.: To explain what I'm trying to do I need to explain why I'm doing it:On my PC I have a work user and a personal user, the work user is solely used for work I work from home and the personal user is everything else like gaming, messaging etc.I switch between these users quite...
  3. Separate users on separate SSD's on the same computer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Separate users on separate SSD's on the same computer.: To explain what I'm trying to do I need to explain why I'm doing it:On my PC I have a work user and a personal user, the work user is solely used for work I work from home and the personal user is everything else like gaming, messaging etc.I switch between these users quite...
  4. Separate users on separate SSD's on the same computer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Creating a system image on a secondary SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating a system image on a secondary SSD: I have 3 drives in my pc. C (Boot Drive), D (secondary SSD), and D (secondary SSD). I have been trying to create a system image and save it on my D drive, but for some reason I am getting a message stating that a system image cannot be saved on a drive that my computer uses...
  6. Creating Separate Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating Separate Folder: Hello i just wanna ask a small help. i just need to make a backup everyday automatically and created separate folders with the date so it wont overwrite the previous backup. ex. 09292019 -backup file 1 09302019 - backup file 2 10012019 - backup file 3 above example are the...
  7. Image backup keeps failing - Can't create restore point

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Image backup keeps failing - Can't create restore point: Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro today from 8.1 Pro. Trying to do an image backup (Windows 7 style) in case my disk crashes. I keep getting this error. I have both Volume Shadow Copy service and the Windows Backup service running with automatic start. Digging a little more into...
  8. Imaging a HD

in Windows 10 Support
    Imaging a HD: Will an image 223GB of 1 Tbite HD go into another 500GB HD ? 12899
  9. HD too SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    HD too SSD: Almost a year I updated my Windows 7 pro to Windows 10 Pro. Now I would like to replace my DH with an SSD. I will make a clone of the HD to the SSD with AOMEI Backupper Professional. What about my Microsoft Windows License? Will it still be valid? thanks in advance for...
  10. Image / History on separate partitions?

in Windows 10 Support
    Image / History on separate partitions?: I want to create two separate partitions on a portable usb drive. On one partition, I'd like to create a system image using the windows image-creating capability. On the other partition, I would like to use the windows history capability to maintain a continuously updated...