Windows 10: Is there a quick way to edit File History preferences?

Discus and support Is there a quick way to edit File History preferences? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; How can I edit my File History preferences without having to spend all day doing it? It automatically chooses a whole raft of folders to back up, which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ricecrispies, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Is there a quick way to edit File History preferences?

How can I edit my File History preferences without having to spend all day doing it? It automatically chooses a whole raft of folders to back up, which I want to simplify, but when I try to remove or add one folder from or to the list, it takes a couple of minutes processing it before I can get onto the next one. That means that it will take me literally hours to sort it all out that way. What I want to do is to delete the whole list of folders and then start again with a short list that corresponds with how my personal files are actually organised. Is there a way to do this quickly? Using 21H1.

:)

ricecrispies, Jul 3, 2021
  2. Suman_B Win User

In File Explorer Quick Access

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, we would need some information.

1. What exactly do you mean by “old firefox”?

Quick Access is basically showing you folders that you frequently used, and showing you files that you’ve recently accessed.

If you want to clear the files from file history, you can right click on the file and click on 'Remove from Quick Access"

I suggest you refer the below steps to clear file history.

1. Click Start and type: file explorer options and hit Enter or click the option at the top of the search results.
    2. Now in the Privacy section make sure both boxes are checked for recently used files and folder in Quick Access and click the Clear button.

Cookies
    are stored on your computer by websites you visit and contain information such as site preferences or your login status, refer this article on
    Enable and disable cookies.

Refer this article on Disabling third-party cookies in Firefox.

Thanks,

Suman.B

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Suman_B, Jul 3, 2021
  3. Xi Zhuang Win User
    File explorer search box history dispears after click Quick access

Windows 10 version 20h2

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open file explorer

2. type something in search box

3. clear search box

4. click search box again, you will see a drop down list showing recent search history

5. click the Quick access which is located at the top of file explorer Navigation pane

6. click search box again, it does not show the history list anymore

I have to close file explorer and open it again to get the search history back.

Xi Zhuang, Jul 3, 2021
  4. Is there a quick way to edit File History preferences?

Quick Access bar

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty.

Remove items from Quick access.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps.

• Right click on the file or folder.
    • Select the option “unpin from the quick access”

To pin items to an item already on the quick access bar.

Follow the below steps.

I would suggest you to create folder in the desktop screen & place all the files or folder which need to pin to the quick access.

• Open the quick access.
    • Select the Desktop option.
    • Right click on the folder & select the option “pin to quick access”

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Jul 3, 2021
Thema:

Is there a quick way to edit File History preferences?

1. Is there a quick way to edit File History preferences? - Similar Threads - quick edit File

2. Is there a way to access a history of files opened and/or modified?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to access a history of files opened and/or modified?: Hello,My PC had two drives: an HDD mounted on D: for files and documents, and an SSD mounted on C: for the operating system Windows 10. Recently, my PC's HDD had been unexpectedly destroyed, losing those files, but the SSD is completely in-tact. So the PC still loads the OS...
  3. Is there a way to access a history of files opened and/or modified?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to access a history of files opened and/or modified?: Hello,My PC had two drives: an HDD mounted on D: for files and documents, and an SSD mounted on C: for the operating system Windows 10. Recently, my PC's HDD had been unexpectedly destroyed, losing those files, but the SSD is completely in-tact. So the PC still loads the OS...
  4. Is there a way to access a history of files opened and/or modified?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to edit file history settings manually

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to edit file history settings manually: The file history has been seriously gimped in Windows 11 and has been buggy on me in Windows 10 before I couldn't add a specific folder so I went editing the configuration manually.I found the two XML config files in %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration...
  6. How to edit file history settings manually

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to edit file history settings manually: The file history has been seriously gimped in Windows 11 and has been buggy on me in Windows 10 before I couldn't add a specific folder so I went editing the configuration manually.I found the two XML config files in %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration...
  7. Notepad edit history

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Notepad edit history: Hello all! Not sure if this is the right place to ask, please let me know where I should post it if it isn't. I've gotten into coding a lot recently and have been using notepad as my working program. Recently, I made a simple little program but accidentally edited something...
  8. Is there a way to edit a PDF adobe file?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to edit a PDF adobe file?: Im running windows 10 and I have this work document(adobe pdf) I have to fill out and email back. Instead of printing it and filling it out and then scanning it and emailing that back, is there a much more simpler way where I can edit the document and email that document...
  9. Any way to tell if File History backup is working?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Any way to tell if File History backup is working?: I am trying to keep my files backed up regularly (weekly). First, I cannot set an automatic weekly backup. Secondly, when I set the backup to run I can't tell if it's working (so a few times I've cancelled and started again, probably needlessly. Thirdly, can I sign out of...
  10. Is ther a way to tweek File History?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Is ther a way to tweek File History?: Because I plan to use more than one computer, I'd like to keep my user files on a flash drive but back them up to a logical partition on my hard drive. File History sounded great for this, but when I went to set it up, it didn't give D:\ (my hard drive logical partition) as...