Windows 10: Is there a reason Windows shows duplicate folders when using OneDrive

Discus and support Is there a reason Windows shows duplicate folders when using OneDrive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Two Documents and two Desktop folders. But only one Pictures folder. The locations to the two empty folders show as username\documents and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by questorfla, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Is there a reason Windows shows duplicate folders when using OneDrive

Two Documents and two Desktop folders. But only one Pictures folder. The locations to the two empty folders show as username\documents and username\desktop. The "other" desktop and Documents are located in the username\OneDrive Folder.
    I always get confused on this part especially as there is no distinction between the two images. Both have the normal Icons for their folder types. The system is set with all defaults on Onedrive but I added the Backup option for Desktop, Pictures, and Documents. (seems they would have added downloads too but i am free to drag the folder in myself).
    i can't see any way to change the display icon so the OneDrive Desktop can be Blue? And I dont want to risk renaming one of them in case this is an intentional duplicate name. But it is a little confusing at times and wondered if i have set one of the choices wrong?

:)

questorfla, Aug 11, 2019

2. onedrive duplicating my folders...

Hi.

Again, onedrive is going crazy and is duplicating my main folder, full of subfolders. It's locking me out of all my files. I have windows 10, Office 365 home. I paused synch at the moment before I have 1000 copy of my folder, which I can't open anyway!
    Please don't ask me any question that will further delay the repair. Simply give me a step by step solution and then improve onedrive so this won't happen again to so many of us. I suggest you also add "onedrive" in the list of "Windows Topics" below since
    thousands of users have issues with it.

Thanks

Michel

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Michel Chiangmai, Aug 11, 2019
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    Duplicate Documents Folders

Hi Batya,

Conflicts with the OneDrive settings on your computer is one of the possible reasons why you have duplicate document folders. For us to assist you better, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Which Version and OS Build number of Windows 10 is currently installed? To check, press the Windows key, type winver, and press the Enter key.

Meanwhile, you can try unlinking your OneDrive from your computer and re-activate it under a new and empty folder on your hard drive after you restart your device.

Regards.

Eric Ber, Aug 11, 2019
  4. Eric-Kell Win User

Is there a reason Windows shows duplicate folders when using OneDrive

Duplicate User folder.

I moved my default Pictures, Documents, Music folders to a new Data partition (D).

My Users/myName folder remained on the C partition.

Everything was fine for 2 years.

For some reason this myName folder is now duplicated on the D partition (D\myName)

I have now a default documents folder in

• D\Documents
    • D\myName\Documents
    • Onedrive\Documents
    • C\Users\myName\Documents
    The same with the other system folders.

I can not change the location of the folders in the 2 duplicate user folders.

Rightclicking in properties, there is no location option.

Only the folders in OneDrive and the D partition have this option.

Any ideas?

Eric-Kell, Aug 11, 2019
Thema:

Is there a reason Windows shows duplicate folders when using OneDrive

1. Is there a reason Windows shows duplicate folders when using OneDrive - Similar Threads - reason shows duplicate

2. Onedrive does uploading a photo create a duplicate on onedrive folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Onedrive does uploading a photo create a duplicate on onedrive folder: If I upload a photo from "pictures" using Onedrive.live website that photo file now also appears on the Onedrive folder on my PC. So does that mean it duplicates it on my PC. It is still in the original folder in "pictures". I was looking to see if I could use Onedrive to...
  3. Onedrive does uploading a photo create a duplicate on onedrive folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive does uploading a photo create a duplicate on onedrive folder: If I upload a photo from "pictures" using Onedrive.live website that photo file now also appears on the Onedrive folder on my PC. So does that mean it duplicates it on my PC. It is still in the original folder in "pictures". I was looking to see if I could use Onedrive to...
  4. File Explorer with Onedrive duplicates files in folder instead of folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer with Onedrive duplicates files in folder instead of folder: When using OneDrive, if you try to duplicate a folder, it creates a copy of all the files inside instead of creating a copy of the folder.So if I have this folder structure:New Folder file1.txtThen when I copy-paste the folder to duplicate it, I get this:New Folder file1 -...
  5. Duplicate Desktop Folder in Pictures Folder and OneDrive - which, when deleted, wipes out...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplicate Desktop Folder in Pictures Folder and OneDrive - which, when deleted, wipes out...: I have duplicate Desktop folders in Pictures folder and OneDrive folder which also contains duplicates of other major folders, even though I switched off OneDrive sync. The type is shown as File folder, so it is definitely not a shortcut. I am sure the Desktop folder occupies...
  6. Documents folder stuck in OneDrive and duplicate Pictures folders.

Documents folder stuck in OneDrive and duplicate Pictures folders.: I was moving some folders around and my Documents folder ended up getting moved into my OneDrive Folder from This PC. Where my Documents folder used to be there's now a duplicate Pictures folder with the same icon as my old Documents Folder. When I tried to restore the...
  7. Duplicate Folders (OneDrive, Dropbox)

Duplicate Folders (OneDrive, Dropbox): Is there a way to stop program folders from appearing more than one in file explorer? OneDrive and Dropbox appear in the navigation pane under Desktop and my user folder....
  8. Duplicate files created in OneDrive Folder

Duplicate files created in OneDrive Folder: When I create a new file in a child folder in my "This PC" parent folder, the file is automatically also created in a child folder in my "One Drive" parent folder. As a result, I essentially am doubling the storage usage on my PC. Similarly, if I delete a file from my "One...
  9. Duplicate OneDrive folders in Explorer on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Duplicate OneDrive folders in Explorer on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]OneDrive is regarded as one of the leading cloud storage services. It is most used by the enterprise bundled along with the Office 365 subscription -although, there are many users who use it for their personal accounts as well. One [...] This post Duplicate...
  10. onedrive duplicating my folders...

onedrive duplicating my folders...: Hi. Again, onedrive is going crazy and is duplicating my main folder, full of subfolders. It's locking me out of all my files. I have windows 10, Office 365 home. I paused synch at the moment before I have 1000 copy of my folder, which I can't open anyway! Please don't ask...