Windows 10: Is there a run command to check for Windows Updates online?

Discus and support Is there a run command to check for Windows Updates online? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm using the run command as below (1st pic), but I get a server timeout error, but if I go to the settings screen there is an option to "Check online... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Bobby Phoenix, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Is there a run command to check for Windows Updates online?

I'm using the run command as below (1st pic), but I get a server timeout error, but if I go to the settings screen there is an option to "Check online for updates from Microsoft Update." (2nd pic). Is there a run command for this one since it works through settings? I use the run command a lot, and it's just easier for me. I tried just adding "-online", but it didn't work.

Is there a run command to check for Windows Updates online? [​IMG]

:)

Bobby Phoenix, Mar 27, 2018

2. Is there a way to "check recent activity" for adult accounts in Family Safety?

Hi Steve,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. I understand your concern and I am glad to assist you.

Recent activity is a feature to see their activity from Windows 10 PC and Windows 10 mobile devices. When this is turned on, we display reminders to the child that their activity is reported to adults in their family.

There is no option to "check recent activity" for adult accounts in Family Safety.

Hope this helps. Get back to us for any further queries that you face with Windows in future. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, Mar 27, 2018
  3. Is there a way to "check recent activity" for adult accounts in Family Safety?

Hello,

I'm setting up Family Safety for my family. I see that for my children there are features to "Check recent activity", "Purchase & Spending", "Screen time", etc. Can these options be enabled for the adults in my family as well? I don't see them but it
    doesn't seem like an unreasonable feature if there were a way for the adults to "authorize" participation in these Family Safety features.

Thanks,

Steve

steve_elmer, Mar 27, 2018
  4. Callender Win User
  5. Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried that already. It only adds the regular update check that times out, and not the direct link that I'm after.

And to be clearer I did search for three days trying to find it, and all the suggestions are for the same update which links to the the big button to "Check for updates". I haven't even found one thread that is a shortcut for the online check.

6. lx07 Win User
    What version are you on? I don't have the "Check online for updates from Microsoft Update." bit you highlighted just this:

You can see your version running winver - this is mine:

And ms-settings:windowsupdate-action (which takes me to the first screenshot above) and all the other stuff from here works fine for me (not that that is any help for your question I know).

7. When I use the run command it takes me to the same screen you have, but after it checks for updates, I get an error code, and when I look it up it shows the server timed out. But if I use the online check, it goes through the same process, but I get updates, and they install normally. The last check was today, and since there were no "real" updates, all it found was Defender definitions to update.

Here's my version info:

8. RickC Win User

Is there a run command to check for Windows Updates online?

I just used ms-settings:windowsupdate-action and it went off, checked for updates and started downloading automatically. (I'm currently on 1709 Build 16299.125.)

RickC, Mar 27, 2018
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Mar 27, 2018
  10. Thanks for the link Brink. I'll read up on it. I wonder why I still have the link if it's no longer supported. Maybe in a future update (if I can ever update) it will disappear? Anyway thanks again. I'm on a domain, and we are allowed to check online, so I think it's depending on the System configuration it uses. Either the internal WSUS server (which times out), or the external Microsoft Update Server to look for available updates. That's why I was looking for a shortcut for the online version.

11. lx07 Win User
    I checked on 16299.309 (10 Pro) and don't have it their either so no obvious difference in the next upgrade. Perhaps someone with Enterprise can check as I only get updates through WU.

I don't know how WSUS works - I imagined updates were pushed rather than demanded but I could be utterly wrong.

12. You're correct on the WSUS. We get monthly updates pushed to us via a Software Center, or any zero day patches that may be needed in between, and that's what's linked to the big button update check, and why it errors out when used. Can't pull/check from that. We can only use the online check to manually update.

13. lx07 Win User

Sorry I've no way to check that scenario. Hopefully someone else here can.

14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I have the latest Insider build 17133.1 of Windows 10 Enterprise on a VM, and I don't have that link either.

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is there a run command to check for Windows Updates online? - Similar Threads - run command check

2. Windows run commands

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows run commands: I've been having this issue since I started using windows 11. Whenever I use the Windows key + r and I want to run a application like notepad, mspaint they don't load. The only thing that works is CMD. Any suggestions on how I can fix this?...
  3. Windows run commands

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows run commands: I've been having this issue since I started using windows 11. Whenever I use the Windows key + r and I want to run a application like notepad, mspaint they don't load. The only thing that works is CMD. Any suggestions on how I can fix this?...
  4. i want to run check update by command

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    i want to run check update by command: hii want to run check update by command promp https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-run-check-update-by-command/1cd220de-81b0-4458-85b1-b390cbd0cc4a
  5. i want to run check update by command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i want to run check update by command: hii want to run check update by command promp https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-run-check-update-by-command/1cd220de-81b0-4458-85b1-b390cbd0cc4a
  6. i want to run check update by command

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Running a Windows Online

Running a Windows Online: Hello, I want to ask if it is possible to run a Windows OS online which is 24 hours up. I need to run my applications there. Can I do that with Cloud servers. I don't know much about it. Please give me some advice. Thanks....
  8. "Check Online for Updates from Windows Update" option disappears sometimes.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Check Online for Updates from Windows Update" option disappears sometimes.: I'm working with PC's on a domain with WSUS, but sometimes I want to bypass WSUS and check for updates from Windows Update (like if there are errors downloading from WSUS). However, whenever there are any errors with the standard "Check for Updates" option, the "Check...
  9. Windows 10 update: checking for updates runs and runs

Windows 10 update: checking for updates runs and runs: I went to Settings|Windows Update and tried checking for updates. The app runs and runs. I downloaded and ran the update checker tool. It hung up on "pending reboot" and ran and ran and ran. There is no obvious pending reboot. What can I do to get Windows Update running? I...
  10. DISM and Online check

DISM and Online check: Hello, What does 'Online' in the below instruction? DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth Does this mean that we should be connected to the internet? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dism-and-online-check/c6dd3f76-8887-4090-897f-021db0bc0d06

Users found this page by searching for:

1. command to get windows update online

2. command to check for Windows Updates online