Windows 10: Is there a specific way to set up windows search?

Discus and support Is there a specific way to set up windows search? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm having problems with searching for files and folders in windows search and would like to know if there is a specific way to set things up to make... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by silverz, Feb 27, 2021.

1. silverz Win User

Is there a specific way to set up windows search?

I'm having problems with searching for files and folders in windows search and would like to know if there is a specific way to set things up to make searching easier.

At the moment searching for files is pretty much non-functional and unless I know the location of a file I am unable to find it.

For example I've just done a basic search through the search bar in file explorer in which I searched for my girlfriends name - a 5 letter word which is the title of numerous folders and photos on my computer that are in an easy to find location (the photos folder and the desktop) - something that should be extremely easy to find and I suspect would represent a common thing to search for. However the search returns only 1 text document with this name in the title. Files plainly visible to me on the desktop are not returned in the search as are many many other files I know contain the search term. Search is simply not functional.

Can anybody explain to me what I am doing wrong and what the correct method is to find files and folders by name in windows 10?

Windows 10 pro
    Version10.0.19042 Build 19042

:)

silverz, Feb 27, 2021

2. Windows 10 search for a specific folder name and file name

Carlos: Thanks for your reply. What you suggest is what I have been doing. I search for folders with a specific name and get a list. Then I have to search each folder for a specific file. So it's a two step search and that's what I was trying to avoid.

I assume there are applications out there that allow for an "AND" search in Windows. I'll try that approach.

Thanks, again.

MarkMcDonough45, Feb 27, 2021
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Feb 27, 2021
  4. Hitesh12 Win User

Cannot search in a specific folder [Windows 10]

THANKS A LOT !!

This worked like a charm. Now search is working perfectly

Thanks a lot Ruth, really appreciate your help

Hitesh12, Feb 27, 2021
Thema:

1. Is there a specific way to set up windows search? - Similar Threads - specific set search

2. Best way to do specific date search in Windows 10 File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Best way to do specific date search in Windows 10 File Explorer?: Much seems to have been said about the difficulty that emerged, some 2 years ago, in accessing the Search Ribbon on Windows 10 File Explorer – and then to be presented with the limited eight options ‘today’ to ‘last year’ available for date search. Not good enough for my...
  3. Is there a way to assign a specific time for Windows to SEARCH for updates?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is there a way to assign a specific time for Windows to SEARCH for updates?: Is there a way to permanently prevent Windows from searching for updates until I manually initiate it. like at the end of a work session, maybe My system description: Windows 10 Pro, ver. 21H1 Processor: AMD Turion II P520 Dual-Core, 2.3 GHz Installed RAM: 8.00 GB 64-bit...
  4. Is there a way to set specific programs to NOT bring up the 'run as administator?' prompt...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to set specific programs to NOT bring up the 'run as administator?' prompt...: It's such a small thing, I know. submitted by /u/Like20MinutesAgo [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j1ooku/is_there_a_way_to_set_specific_programs_to_not/
  5. Is there a way to make Windows 10 to search for a specific file type?

Is there a way to make Windows 10 to search for a specific file type?: I have a PC with 4 diffrent hard drives installed... Actually 3 hard drives and 1 SSD... Not too long ago I made a .rar file that I can't remember where I put it or what was it called... Is there a way to make windows 10 search for all .rar files somehow so that I can find it...
  6. Way to create shortcut for specific settings page?

Way to create shortcut for specific settings page?: For example, I want to create a shortcut to the "Rearrange your displays" setting since I need to switch between my primary monitor if I am playing a game or something. Is there any way to make a shortcut instead of having to keep manually pulling this up? submitted by...
  7. Windows settings are not showing up on search

in Cortana
    Windows settings are not showing up on search: Hello, I just installed win10 today on my new SSD. But there is an issue I am facing on search. On my previous OS, when I search "Disk Management" it doesn't appear. Same for "Adjust ClearType text" and many things. Seeking for help....
  8. Is there a way to search for results from specific years in Bing?

Is there a way to search for results from specific years in Bing?: For example, if I want results only from the years 1990 to 2000 are there switches we can use like in Google? Thanks submitted by /u/monkeyjunks [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eo47g1/is_there_a_way_to_search_for_results_from/
  9. "Cortana & Search settings" not showing up in windows search

in Cortana
    "Cortana & Search settings" not showing up in windows search: I am trying to disable bing results when I search using the windows 10 search bar. Every article I have found saying how to do this says that I must search "cortana" in the search bar and click on the result that says "Cortana & Search settings". However, there is no result...
  10. Setting up search - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting up search - Windows 10: I am moving from Windows 7 to 10. How do I set up search so that the results for the entire PC appear in the search folder? My searches show a small subset of the search results, typically a folder with the search term in the name. In Windows 7 my searches display the entire...