Windows 10: Is there a Substitute for the Office Shortcut Bar?

Discus and support Is there a Substitute for the Office Shortcut Bar? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Hello ALL: My wife used the Office XP Shortcut bar to keep a quick way to launch software within categories. Is there an equivalent she can use in 64... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by MPSAN, Dec 22, 2016.

1. MPSAN Win User

Is there a Substitute for the Office Shortcut Bar?

Hello ALL:
    My wife used the Office XP Shortcut bar to keep a quick way to launch software within categories.
    Is there an equivalent she can use in 64 bit Windows 10 with Office 2016? Her main goal is to have a small group of Icons separated in categories.

:)

MPSAN, Dec 22, 2016
  2. elie7 Win User

is there a free office editor for the n900

hello guys, i just want to know if i can get a free documents editor for the n900, thanks .

elie7, Dec 22, 2016
  3. JK_Kumar Win User
    is there a free office editor for the n900

Yes in Maemo community.

Its called K office and was recently uploaded.

You have to add a new download catalogue to your phone for this.

Visit Maemo community and you can get the details of how to add new catalogues as well as download the Koffice suite.

JK_Kumar, Dec 22, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

Have a look at Toolbars on the taskbar. To see how a Toolbar looks right-click on the taskbar to bring up a menu. Under Tootbars> select Desktop and it will appear on the taskbar. Click the >> after its name to see a menu of all the items and links on your desktop.

If this looks like something that meets your wife's needs, then you can create your own custom Toolbars. Create a folder for each 'category' and put shortcuts to all the items you want in the appropriate folder. You can put these folders anywhere you want, but if you put them on the Desktop you'll have an alternative way to find and use the links. Now right-click on the taskbar, select Toolbars > New Toolbar... and point it to one of these 'category' folders. Repeat until you have all categories showing on the taskbar.

The folder you point to doesn't have to be one you've made and filled with links though, you could equally well point to your Documents folder and be able to see everything it contains, with subfolders opening up as submenus, much like the old Start menu did in Windows 7.

5. MPSAN Win User
    I printed this and we can look. It does work, but can I increase the space for the NEW Toolbars? I mean as she adds Categories, it will fill the taskbar.

MPSAN, Dec 22, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I like sTabLauncher. Light on RAM, easy to use, configurable, categories. Did I say it's free?
    Oh, and recalling one problem someone found, you can change how sensitive it is e.g. if you set it to hide, then move your mouse there to unhide it, you don't want that to happen to quickly e.g. if it's at the top of the screen. (Can't have it at the sides).
    Home

Drag 'n drop shortcuts, can drag 'n drop files onto the shortcuts to launch the program.

If for some reason that doesn't suit, I used to use Launchmate (free).

dalchina, Dec 23, 2016
  7. MPSAN Win User
    Thank you so much.
    I also saw some Winstep programs that are FREE, but is that overkill? We have a secondary issue now that the default Theme is not showing highlights, etc on most programs. I changed it on my other system but have no idea what I used...it just says custom, so though that a Winstep program may help...if not overkill!

MPSAN, Dec 23, 2016
  8. Try3 Win User

Mpsan,

Here is an illustration of a Taskbar toolbar [the solution proposed by Bree above]. By making all the "categories" I want as subfolders of a single Menus Toolbar instead of as separate Toolbars then, no matter how many "categories" I add, it fills no more space on the Taskbar than its folder name Menus takes up.

The folders fly out XP-style and, as the illustration shows, you can use it to put in shortcuts to applications and to individual files.

Is there a Substitute for the Office Shortcut Bar? [​IMG]

Denis

9. MPSAN Win User
    Thank You, I can show her this to see what she thinks.

MPSAN, Dec 24, 2016
  10. MPSAN Win User
    Try3, I tried this and will show it to my wife. It looks good.

MPSAN, Dec 29, 2016
  11. Try3 Win User
    I did not mention anything about a location for the Menus folders. Personally, I created a folder called DataSettings within my own user folders and stuck the Menus folder in there [along with a few other things not related to your question]. This means it can easily be reached using File manager for any changes to be made but it is normally out of sight so I don't keep fiddling with it for no good reason.

Denis

12. MPSAN Win User
    I use Q-DIR and can edit my Folder(s) and add to them. I like the dual pane view.
    Anyway, I first put this in Desktop, but soon saw the error of my ways. It added it to...well...my desktop. *Wink

MPSAN, Dec 29, 2016
  13. MPSAN Win User

Is there a way I can make this default to Icons only unless I hover on one?

MPSAN, Jan 22, 2017
  14. Try3 Win User
    I have not heard of any method for "default to Icons only unless I hover on one".

Instead, I just chose a short name for mine [Menus] to reduce the amount of taskbar space that is used up.

Denis

Thema:

1. Is there a Substitute for the Office Shortcut Bar? - Similar Threads - Substitute Office Shortcut

2. Office 365 icons for desktop shortcuts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Office 365 icons for desktop shortcuts: I've created a shortcut to the power button in my taskbar of Windows 11. The options for changing the icon are limited. Is there a way to use an icon from Office 365 instead? I can't see a way to download that icon and the choose as the icon for the shortcut.Many thanks,...
  3. Office 20007 Home and Student lost; substitutes clunky, so...

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 20007 Home and Student lost; substitutes clunky, so...: 20H2 The background is that two or so weeks ago I experimented with the free substitutes, but found them difficult and lacking. Somehow a strange file appeared, STR.TLB, before Excel and any substitute would open. Neither I nor a repair man, whom I called in to solve an...
  4. office shortcuts not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    office shortcuts not working: Win Pro 10. Office 13. started out after a Win update. Outlook would not start from task bar. outlook runs ok from win+R but all shortcuts fail to start. no indications in event folder. Been looking at shortcuts but nothing jumps out except the target field shows no path,...
  5. Using Office XP Shortcut Bar

Using Office XP Shortcut Bar: Hi, I like to use Office XP Shortcut Bar on right side of desktop to launch preferred applications. Installation was fine for Windows10 v2004 and it shows the bar as expected. But when I drag a shortcut to the bar, the shortcut icon is missing and when I click on it, it...
  6. Substitution for Movie Maker

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Substitution for Movie Maker: Is there or is there NOT a compatible program or app that lets you edit movie files and make dvds with Windows 10--AFTER Jan 2020? That is.... without having to save to a cloud or use with Edge....
  7. What is the shortcut for opening Office?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is the shortcut for opening Office?: Today my cat hit Windows key and some other keys around it and my PC opened the Microsoft Office instantly. And now i wonder what was that shortcut.. I pressed every button near Windows key(Windows key + other key combination) and i got nothing so far.. submitted by...
  8. WMC substitute?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WMC substitute?: I installed Windows 10 on a new HDD that was in my Laptop. So the WMC that comes with Win 7 was not installed. And because I knew that fact, I installed RP 18 and then, later, the VLC media player. But the results were the same. Only a one minute from the DVD is played, and...
  9. Shortcut volume bar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shortcut volume bar: [ATTACH] Hi, I would like to create a shortcut (like Ctrl + F11) to open Windows volume bar and access to spotify volume manager. Volume bar I found some way to manage volume (like this one) but that's not what I want. Thanks in advance. submitted by /u/Hyimota...
  10. Office xp shortcut bar Icons do not display

Office xp shortcut bar Icons do not display: I have used the Office XP shortcut bar with every windows version up to windows 7 without problems. When I upgraded to Windows 10, the Icons only show a ? and the program associated with the icon will only execute if I right click on the icon and click either open or run as...