Windows 10: Is there a system restore feature in W10?

Discus and support Is there a system restore feature in W10? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Today I somehow deleted an important folder from my desktop, and I am desperate to get it back? So is there a system restore feature in W10, if so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Willabong, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Willabong Win User

Is there a system restore feature in W10?

Today I somehow deleted an important folder from my desktop, and I am desperate to get it back?
    So is there a system restore feature in W10, if so where is it found, and would it restore my folder?*cry

:)

Willabong, Feb 14, 2018
  2. Scyfth Win User
    Scyfth, Feb 14, 2018
  3. Is there a feature in windows 10 mobile for choosing a preferred web browser as default web browser?

I doubt this will ever happen on Windows Mobile.

Paul van der Heu, Feb 14, 2018
  4. hawkman Win User

hawkman, Feb 14, 2018
  5. cereberus Win User
    First, a bit obvious but just in case, have you checked in recycle bin?

Also running Recuva may be able to recover files. You would have to create a usb drive with recuva or put it on another drive, and recover files elsewhere than drive that had files so you do not overwrite data you are trying to recover.

I would not use system restore until you have tried Recuva first as very act of using system restore could wipe data.

cereberus, Feb 14, 2018
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    In addition, system restore does not include the folders in your user profile "C:\Users\<username>" folder. *Sad

Brink, Feb 14, 2018
  7. cereberus Win User
    It is for reasons like this, that (as I have stated before) I have given up using System Restore and now use Macrium Reflect (Home) and incrementals as it is fast, reliable and I know exactly what state pc will be in after doing it. It backups all data on C drive plus any data partitions you choose to backup.

cereberus, Feb 15, 2018
  8. Stigg Win User

Yes, System Restore is still there in Windows 10 and works quite well, but it is a bit hidden.
    For this reason, I create a System Protection folder on the Desktop for people who struggle to easily find it.

Create a shortcut to C:\Windows\System32\SystemPropertiesProtection.exe on your Desktop and name it System Protection. *Smile

Stigg, Feb 15, 2018
  9. CountMike New Member
    Well, not exactly hidden, it's also in same place where it was since XP

Is there a system restore feature in W10? [​IMG]

CountMike, Feb 15, 2018
  10. f14tomcat Win User
    In search (Cortana thing at bottom left of task bar), type restore , press enter. Top of the list, click it. Entry says "Create a restore point", but it's the main System Protection panel.

f14tomcat, Feb 15, 2018
  11. Willabong Win User
    Found it and tried it ..... But it failed to work! Error message says: A file could not be found so nothing was changed (tried 3 times with different restore dates, they all failed!)
    Anyway I managed to find an older folder on a removable hard drive that had most of my missing files, so it is not as much of a disaster as I feared!
    I will give Macrium Reflect a try from now on!
    Thanks for the help everyone!

Willabong, Feb 15, 2018
  12. RolandJS Win User
    Giving MR6 or MR7 a try should mean: making routine full image backups of one's OS and Data partitions onto external media, else that try might become another cry in the dark *Smile

RolandJS, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is there a system restore feature in W10? - Similar Threads - system restore feature

2. Restoring Favorites Feature

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restoring Favorites Feature: Hi, I have Windows 10 and I use the Favorites feature a lot (aka Bookmarking websites I want to return to). Suddenly it stopped working. When I'm on an internet page I want to save, I click on the star, a pop-up comes up, I click "Add"--but the star no longer leaps over to...
  3. System Restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore: How do I perform a system restore on Windows 10 laptop to the condition it was in on 1st June 2018? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-restore/c4292b5c-a18f-48ef-8985-53119d1b747f
  4. System Restore

System Restore: I started a system restore Dec. 5 at 9:45 p.m. It has been almost 24 hours now and it is still going. I read somewhere that it should only take about 30 min. I don't think it is froze, it is only trying to restore 2 days of files....
  5. System Restore

System Restore: How do I access System Restore in Windows 10 on my Asus series F555L laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/system-restore/2edd88cd-f4d7-4b86-8d07-3fcc66967cbf
  6. System Restore

System Restore: Hello, I'm having a problem with my Windows 10, I'm trying to enable System Restore but can't find where and how. My refurbished PC came with win 7 and I upgraded to win 10 right away without using win 7. In the system sub-menu I don't even see the "System protection" on the...
  7. Clean W10 Install, Can't Restore System Image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clean W10 Install, Can't Restore System Image: I created an image of my tower a week or two ago. I decided to restore to said image, but cancelled it. I went to boot it up later, and I received an error that there was no OS. I reasoned that it would be fine to reinstall and then restore. I got W10 through the free upgrade...
  8. Upgrading to W10; System Restore Options

Upgrading to W10; System Restore Options: My PC came with a W8 system image. I generally do a restore to factory settings every few months to keep the PC running clean. Will I be able to do something similar with W10 once I complete the upgrade? If I wish to do that and maintain activation, will I only be able to...
  9. Restore points in W10

Restore points in W10: I like to have some kind of safety net - a reinstall is always possible but dull. Restore points are one option but I like to have several options since we know that restore points are very volatile. For the purpose I tried AOMEI OneKey which worked perfectly.. One Key...
  10. W10 Restore Question

W10 Restore Question: Good day all, We have a Windows 10 machine which would not boot correctly just after the most recent update from MS. Using a W10 repair USB drive we were able to bring the machine back up to normal working status. However, we now have a few missing files. Most notably we...