Windows 10: Is there a way besides setting networks to metered and disabling automatic updates in...

Discus and support Is there a way besides setting networks to metered and disabling automatic updates in... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I ask because those two methods, which are the ones most commonly found on the internet, no longer work. Windows overrides their customers' preferences... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cbuttons, Apr 4, 2020.

1. cbuttons Win User

Is there a way besides setting networks to metered and disabling automatic updates in...

I ask because those two methods, which are the ones most commonly found on the internet, no longer work. Windows overrides their customers' preferences and settings and shuts down/restarts their personal computers at random times, losing unsaved information during, say, a bathroom break. I have a feeling that the only answer is to stop using Windows products, but looking for alternatives since I would have done that years ago if the software I used wasn't in cahoots with Microsoft. I have had no luck solving this with their support.

Thanks!

:)

cbuttons, Apr 4, 2020

2. Vista Automatic Updating Error

Automatic Updates isn't currently running.

DistantDeath, Apr 4, 2020
  3. Disable updates in sleepmode

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Suggest you to set your network connection as “metered”. Windows 10 won’t automatically download updates on it. Windows 10 will automatically set certain types of connections as metered. However, you can set any connection as a metered connection.

So, if you don’t want Windows 10 automatically downloading updates on your home network connection, need to set it as a metered connection. Windows 10 will automatically download updates when you connect your device to an unmetered network, or when
    you set the network it’s connected to as unmetered again.

Follow these steps to reset the power plan settings to default.

• Open CMD in admin mode.
    • Copy and paste the command ‘powercfg –restoredefaultschemes’ into the command prompt, and press Enter. Once this is done, remember to restart the computer.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking 'Yes' or 'No'.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Apr 4, 2020
  4. Is there a way besides setting networks to metered and disabling automatic updates in...

Disable updates in sleepmode

It's not automatically downloading thats annoying me so much as it decides to update while my PC is in sleepmode, i don't see how that helps me sorry. I've seen some people say disable it in task scheduler but it won't let me do that despite using the pro
    version.

MajorFoley, Apr 4, 2020
Thema:

Is there a way besides setting networks to metered and disabling automatic updates in...

1. Is there a way besides setting networks to metered and disabling automatic updates in... - Similar Threads - besides setting networks

2. Proper way to disable windows automatic updates?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Proper way to disable windows automatic updates?: I want to completely disable windows attempting to do updates unless i specifically click on the ''check for updates'' button myself.The only ways that i found to disable windows update end up breaking it completely and by extension makes me unable to download anything in the...
  3. Proper way to disable windows automatic updates?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Proper way to disable windows automatic updates?: I want to completely disable windows attempting to do updates unless i specifically click on the ''check for updates'' button myself.The only ways that i found to disable windows update end up breaking it completely and by extension makes me unable to download anything in the...
  4. Metered Connection Disables Automatically after enabling

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Metered Connection Disables Automatically after enabling: When I try to set my Mobile hotspot as metered Connection when I click Toggle button is turning into blue but when I revist the Connection property window it shows metered Connection is in off position. Metered Connection disabling automatically. Kindly help me in this regard...
  5. Metered Network

in Windows 10 Customization
    Metered Network: I keep getting a message that says: You are on a metered network etc. What does that mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/metered-network/a6672604-e8fc-4b63-8d13-4cb7d94d4895
  6. Set as Metered account disabled

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set as Metered account disabled: After upgrade "Set as a metered account" and certain "Local Services" are disabled. Is there a fix? Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-as-metered-account-disabled/82b0bfa1-bf19-4f4c-87ec-1b6be40b51f9
  7. Network automatically set to metered after boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network automatically set to metered after boot: So I got this bizarre problem where my wi-fi connection is set to metered automatically after boot. I tried disabling it manually but it keeps enabling after restarting. 128539
  8. metered network?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    metered network?: help! This is a headache! What does this PC is on metered network mean? One drive sync is paused to prevent data charges? That to do ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/metered-network/594456d5-4b5e-4e04-8972-7371beb3678f
  9. Enable or Disable Automatic Pause OneDrive Sync on Metered Network

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Automatic Pause OneDrive Sync on Metered Network: How to: Enable or Disable Automatic Pause OneDrive Sync on Metered Network How to Enable or Disable Automatic Pause OneDrive Sync when on Metered Network in Windows 10 Microsoft account. OneDrive is integrated into Windows 10 where you can view, browse, upload, and...
  10. Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10: How to: Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10 [img] Information A metered connection is an Internet connection that has a data limit associated with it. Cellular data connections are set as metered by default. Wi-Fi and Ethernet network connections...