Windows 10: Is there a way o use an SSD as a Cache on Windows 10 without RST?

Discus and support Is there a way o use an SSD as a Cache on Windows 10 without RST? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My uncle has an old system i built 9 years back, instead of going for a new build he/we decided to buy 2nd hand upgrades e.g. we upgraded from 2Gb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by snadge, Jun 4, 2016.

1. snadge Win User

Is there a way o use an SSD as a Cache on Windows 10 without RST?

My uncle has an old system i built 9 years back, instead of going for a new build he/we decided to buy 2nd hand upgrades

e.g. we upgraded from 2Gb (2x1) 800Mhz to 4Gb (2x2) OC'd @ 1000Mhz for £14 ,
    upgraded from an old 2.2Ghz Intel E4500 dual-core (2Mb L2 / 800Mhz FSB) to an Intel 2.4Ghz Quad2Core Q8200 (4Mb / 1333Mhz FSB) for £18 then overclocked it by 10%,
    upgraded from onboard Intel G31/33 GPU to a dedicated 1Gb 710GT (192 cuda cores @ 954Mhz/1800Mhz/64-Bit) for £23

not bad for £55?

we now need to remove the bottle neck in his 5 year old HDD Seagate (which is healthy) and to make it cheap & avoid reinstallation we wanted to buy a cheap 32Gb sandisk CacheReady SSD but we have read all over that the software doesn't work on W10 and nor does other caching SSD's software

unless someone on here knows better?

thanks

:)

snadge, Jun 4, 2016
  2. iHIMself Win User

Is there any way to use an mp3 as a ringtone on the htc mozart?

Why isn't anyone answering this????????????

iHIMself, Jun 4, 2016
  3. DanTup Win User
    Is there any way to use an mp3 as a ringtone on the htc mozart?

Sorry, my bad. Thanks Is there a way o use an SSD as a Cache on Windows 10 without RST? :)

DanTup, Jun 4, 2016
  4. Kyhi Win User

cache is a eMMC drive ...
    you can get a small SATA SSD drive for the same price point

Kyhi, Jun 4, 2016
  5. snadge Win User
    hi Thanks for your reply

We dont want to reinstall windows 10, I know I could get a cheapo 120Gb SSD for £30 and map his downloads to his HDD (as he downloads large files) as thats what I do with my 250Gb Samsung - but like I say we would prefer to cache thus saving reinstall

there is not port for an eMMC drive on the 9 yr old motherboard

snadge, Jun 5, 2016
  6. If there's no port, it looks like your only option is an SSD. If you plan ahead, a clean install can be done in less than two hours, including driver and app installs. You could also try cloning the old drive to a new SSD, but I'm not a big fan of cloning from non-SSD to SSD. Someone else will likely have the proper steps to do so.

DeaconFrost, Jun 5, 2016
  7. snadge Win User
    its looking that way... i dont support cloning either, would have to be a fresh install

thanks

snadge, Jun 5, 2016
  8. Is there a way o use an SSD as a Cache on Windows 10 without RST?

Couldn't you just back up the old drive and restore it to the SSD?

Not a clone, but a backup / restore.

There might be issues due to different devices, but I wouldn't think there would be ... what good would a backup do in the event of disk failure then. You might have to repair the Windows boot, but that's relatively easy.

Slartybart, Jun 5, 2016
  9. snadge Win User
    if we have to go non cache method i would rather install from fresh as cloning or doing that backup/restore just causes issues

cheers

snadge, Jun 5, 2016
  10. Kyhi Win User
    well that's two very good suggestions shot down...

But, starting fresh is always good too...

11. Kbird Win User
    If you have Intel raid on the MB , you can use the RST software to setup a SSD cache drive , I use an old 60GB one for my Raid 0 2TB Array but I am not sure you can do it on a board that is 9 yrs old ? maybe not.....? you would have to look into Drivers etc needed , a good place to start might be Fernando's WinRaid Site for that.

http://www.win-raid.com/t2f23-Intel-...QL-v-WHQL.html

Kbird, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is there a way o use an SSD as a Cache on Windows 10 without RST? - Similar Threads - SSD Cache without

2. Can i use windows 10 without SSD hardwave

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can i use windows 10 without SSD hardwave: I have my computer is still using windows 7 and windows 7 isn't currently supported so should i am upgrade win 10 or still use win 7. Thanks for reading this post and reply my post.My operate system:Processor: Pentium ES5200Ram: 2GB DDR2HDD Disk: 500GB...
  3. Intel RST drivers for SSD - when to use?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Intel RST drivers for SSD - when to use?: Hi I am trying to understand if the Intel RST driver is necessary or not, or if only required for particular setups. I have 2 computers:1)Desktop - boot drive: SATA 3 SSD (Windows and applications), and aSATA 3 HDD for document storage. 2)Laptop M.2 SATA 3 Micron SSD (PCIe...
  4. Use SSD as cache for HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Use SSD as cache for HDD: Hello everyone! I was wondering if I could use a 128GB SSD as cache for my 2TB HDD. What program should I use? Is it a native Windows feature? Is this the right subreddit to post this? Thanks :) submitted by /u/GnossisYT [link] [comments]...
  5. Is there any way of upgrading ssd in windows 10 without re-installing?

Is there any way of upgrading ssd in windows 10 without re-installing?: I have 128 gb of ssd in my system, i am using lenovo y720. I want to upgrade ssd is it possible to do that without re-installing windows and will it has any impact on performance? TIA submitted by /u/dsmedium [link] [comments]...
  6. SSD is 100% without using anything on Windows

SSD is 100% without using anything on Windows: Good afternoon, I have a little problem with my Windows 10, yesterday I was having problems with slow to open several applications, and a slow to start the system, and it was a pain, I had to format it to see if it returned to normal, I formatted and went back to normal in...
  7. How to increase buffer cache use to improve file I/O performance ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to increase buffer cache use to improve file I/O performance ?: I am using a video editor to detect scenes on large video files, around 6GB to 8GB each. It takes hours to process one of those files, and according to task manager, the process is disk bound. My PC has 32GB memory, of which only 4GB appear to be in use. CPU usage is around...
  8. Disable Disk Write Caching on SSD in Windows 10

Disable Disk Write Caching on SSD in Windows 10: Hi, I read the tutorial on how to disable write caching. But, when I shut down and later turn on my PC and check the policy tab for my Samsung SSD C: drive the caching box is checked again. Also I turned off "RAPID" on the SSD. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks...
  9. Intel RST, RAID and Write Cache Settings

Intel RST, RAID and Write Cache Settings: I upgraded to Win 10 from 8.1 with RST version 14.0.0.1143. I have two RAID arrays on the Intel MB controller, a 2-SSD RAID 0 for the system and a 4-SSD RAID 10 for data. I sometimes experienced system freezing when mucking with the write cache settings in the RST app, but...
  10. Asus S400CA - installing windows 10 - using ssd cache

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Asus S400CA - installing windows 10 - using ssd cache: My laptop Asus S400CA comes with 24GB SSD to work as express cache. What should be done while upgrading from windows 8.1 to windows 10 so that express cache is used. Will windows 10 installation take care and use this cache automatically or should any other work to be done by...