Windows 10: Is there a way to access my data MBR HDDs and SSDs on a UEFI system?

Discus and support Is there a way to access my data MBR HDDs and SSDs on a UEFI system? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello,I have a 2TB HDD and a 480GB SSD which I used in my old setup MBR mode to store work photographs and games. I bought a SSD and installed Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Verciretti, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Is there a way to access my data MBR HDDs and SSDs on a UEFI system?

Hello,I have a 2TB HDD and a 480GB SSD which I used in my old setup MBR mode to store work photographs and games. I bought a SSD and installed Windows 10, now in UEFI mode, to be able to upgrade to Windows 11; it so happens that I can't upgrade anyway because my PC doesn't support TPM 2.0 and to my disappointment, found out those drives can't be accessed at all.The MBR2GPT command ruined the old Windows SSD and I don't fancy risking years of photography work and face days reinstalling games, so, is there any way to use those drives without changing them to GPT? Or should I just forget about

:)

Verciretti, Oct 24, 2021
  2. redhonker Win User

Can I restore an image of UEFI system to a MBR partition?

Is this feasible?

I have Windows 10 on UEFI/GPT partition. I have an image created by Windows own backup tool.

I got a small SSD which people say it's better to kept in MBR.

Is it possible to somehow restore the UEFI system image to MBR SSD?

Thanks

redhonker, Oct 24, 2021
  3. cereberus Win User
    Ugrading my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD

You should do steps as follows

1) clone 1TB hdd to SSD

2) run mbr2gpt utility to convert ssd to uefi

Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss

3) extend 1tb partition on SSD to 4TB using tool like Easeus Partition Master (free version is ok).

Step 2 is the critical step.

cereberus, Oct 24, 2021
  4. RickW1255 Win User

Is there a way to access my data MBR HDDs and SSDs on a UEFI system?

Transferring from BIOS/MBR system to UEFI/GPT

This may be clear as mud, but I'm going to give it a shot.

The SSD on my Dell 3847 computer failed, so I connected it as a secondary drive to another, older Dell (660) and was able to copy a lot of files off of it. That older computer has an HDD; I used it while waiting for Sandisk to send a replacement SSD.

I first cloned the HDD in the 660 to my new SSD, but when I put it back in the newer computer, it couldn't be read; it said there was no boot file (if I remember correctly). I then created a system image of the older drive and tried to install it in the newer
    one with my new SSD, but that failed because the older one has BIOS with an MBR formatted HDD, and the newer one didn't like that; it has UEFI and wants to format to GPT. I then set about trying to convert the older one to GPT so a system image could be read
    on the new SSD, but found that, if I could do that at all, it would required wiping that drive, which is precisely what I didn't want to do. And I found that apparently the motherboard of the older computer can't work with UEFI anyway. The two Dell computers
    aren't all that different in their specs, so I never expected there to be a difficulty.

I read in a few places that EFI is backward compatible with BIOS, but I got an error message saying that was the problem (when I tried to install the system image). Other online sources said they are incompatible in either direction. Since I can't get my
    old 660 to use UEFI, I'm stuck. It seems pretty clear to me that there is no way to clone (or create a system image of) the older HDD and have it work in the newer one. I went ahead and started from scratch with the newer one, using a Windows recovery drive,
    but I hate to have to set up all my programs. Am I right? Is there no other way?

RickW1255, Oct 24, 2021
Thema:

Is there a way to access my data MBR HDDs and SSDs on a UEFI system?

1. Is there a way to access my data MBR HDDs and SSDs on a UEFI system? - Similar Threads - access data MBR

2. Add Windows drive with MBR to a UEFI System

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add Windows drive with MBR to a UEFI System: Hi!I have a booteable hard disk by mean MBR with Windows Server 2019.I want to add that hard disk to a system with UEFI which has Linux installed with its boot loader /boot/efi partition.How can I add the Windows drive in order to get adual boot sistem?Thank you in advance...
  3. Add Windows drive with MBR to a UEFI System

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Add Windows drive with MBR to a UEFI System: Hi!I have a booteable hard disk by mean MBR with Windows Server 2019.I want to add that hard disk to a system with UEFI which has Linux installed with its boot loader /boot/efi partition.How can I add the Windows drive in order to get adual boot sistem?Thank you in advance...
  4. Is there a way to access my data MBR HDDs and SSDs on a UEFI system?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a way to access my data MBR HDDs and SSDs on a UEFI system?: Hello,I have a 2TB HDD and a 480GB SSD which I used in my old setup MBR mode to store work photographs and games. I bought a SSD and installed Windows 10, now in UEFI mode, to be able to upgrade to Windows 11; it so happens that I can't upgrade anyway because my PC doesn't...
  5. Is there a way to access my data MBR HDDs and SSDs on a UEFI system?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to access my data MBR HDDs and SSDs on a UEFI system?: Hello,I have a 2TB HDD and a 480GB SSD which I used in my old setup MBR mode to store work photographs and games. I bought a SSD and installed Windows 10, now in UEFI mode, to be able to upgrade to Windows 11; it so happens that I can't upgrade anyway because my PC doesn't...
  6. Large HDDs or SSDs?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Large HDDs or SSDs?: Hi, There is an ongoing thread about changing drive letters and a question was asked. I didn't want to post my question there in fear of hijacking it. But what is the purpose of larger HDDs/SSDs?. There are some members who have really large HDDs, 3-4tb or more, internal or...
  7. System partition is MBR, so no access to UEFI. Any way to bypass that?

in Windows 10 Support
    System partition is MBR, so no access to UEFI. Any way to bypass that?: Hi, My system partition is set to MBR, so access to UEFI from advanced startup options is missing. I accidentally set the boot order to external HDD first, so whenever something is connected and I restart the computer, it tries to boot from the external device. I...
  8. UEFI or MBR ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    UEFI or MBR ?: I 'm making a bootable usb flash drive with Rufus to install Windows 10 as a dual boot with Windows 8.1. When I installed my new video card I had to disable safe boot and enable legacy support in the bios. When I make the bootable flash drive should I choose UEFI or MBR? 1969
  9. MBR/UEFI issues

MBR/UEFI issues: My motherboard is UEFI compliant, however it was set up in MBR mode, I'm now receiving messages from Microsoft saying my PC will not be updated after 10 April because it is not set up in UEFI mode. I understand that to set up in UEFI mode all data on HD will be lost. I...
  10. Converting an mbr install to UEFI without loss of data.

Converting an mbr install to UEFI without loss of data.: Just seen a well presented video that shows how to convert an mbr based installation of windows to a UEFI based install without reinstalling OS and losing data. Convert Windows 7/8/10 Installation from Legacy to UEFI Without Data Loss (Simpler Method) - YouTube...