Windows 10: Is there a way to access user files from another drive on the same PC?

Discus and support Is there a way to access user files from another drive on the same PC? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello not sure if anyone can help. I recently had a free trial from Avast to do a disk cleanup and so I did which ended up bricking my PC and being... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by KaramAl-Dulayymi, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Is there a way to access user files from another drive on the same PC?

Hello not sure if anyone can help.

I recently had a free trial from Avast to do a disk cleanup and so I did which ended up bricking my PC and being stuck on the scanning disk for errors loop.

After trying different methods all day, I decided to put in a new hard drive and install windows on it so I can boot into windows through that drive and salvage any important files from the other drive because it wont boot into windows

I managed to install and boot into windows with “Drive 2” and all my program files are there and accessable. When I try to access any of my files on my desktop Users\Karam it prompts me to gain access and to click continue but nothing happens.

so is there a way to gain acces? or is there a way to attempt to fix my other drive to get it to boot from the Windows on “Drive 2” as I can still view the Windows files on the problematic drive?

:)

KaramAl-Dulayymi, Jan 14, 2021
  2. DTG1 Win User

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

3. File history on USB security user access

Hi,

To isolate this concern, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Open File History folder.
    • Select all the files that you don't want to be accessed.
    • Right-click on the highlighted files and choose Properties.
    • Go to Security tab.
    • Click on Advanced.
    • Select all the user account that you don't want to have access on your File History folder.
    • Click on Disable inheritance.
    • Lastly, click on OK.

Let us know how it goes.

Desiree Yau, Jan 14, 2021
  4. tobi9595 Win User

Is there a way to access user files from another drive on the same PC?

Access network drive after autologin with another user not possible

Hello together,

I´ve got the following problem:

The PC I´m talking about is configured with a general autologon user. Is the user logged in, he has the possibility to connect to a network drive to access his specific files with the personal user, which are stored on the server . Before the user get´s
    access, he is asked for his credentials. Now there are three different situations that occured:

1. I have access
    2. I have no access (Failure report: "You cant access \xxxxx\xxx..... . You don´t have the rights for the access to...")
    3. First I have no access, after about ~5 minutes I got access.

I´m not sure, but I think it could be that he get my credentials, but nevertheless accesses the network drive with the rights from the general autologon user, not from the personalized user.

If I log off the general user after autologon and log in with my personal user on the PC, there are no problems with the access. But unfortunaly this is not a solution.

Anyone with the same problem or with some suggestions to solve this problem?

Best regards!

tobi9595, Jan 14, 2021
Thema:

Is there a way to access user files from another drive on the same PC?

1. Is there a way to access user files from another drive on the same PC? - Similar Threads - access user files

2. Is there a way to merge the files/permissions from one user on a computer to another user...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to merge the files/permissions from one user on a computer to another user...: I have been trying to figure this out for most of the morning.I am in a company IT department and one user inherited both the job/computer of the last person who did her job.On the computer there are two accounts , the one from the user who is gone but current user still...
  3. Is there a way to merge the files/permissions from one user on a computer to another user...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a way to merge the files/permissions from one user on a computer to another user...: I have been trying to figure this out for most of the morning.I am in a company IT department and one user inherited both the job/computer of the last person who did her job.On the computer there are two accounts , the one from the user who is gone but current user still...
  4. Is there a way to merge the files/permissions from one user on a computer to another user...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How To Move All Data Including Apps and files From One User To Another User In The Same PC?

How To Move All Data Including Apps and files From One User To Another User In The Same PC?: How can I move all data from one user to another user in the same pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-all-data-including-apps-and-files-from/d9214152-6981-417c-9cc8-0eac164902f5
  6. Can't access encrypted files on another drive anymore even when using the same user

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't access encrypted files on another drive anymore even when using the same user: Something strange happened: - I encrypted files on another drive D: - I exported all keys related to my account from "certmgr" without deleting the keys - I logged out - I logged in - I can not open the encrypted files from the drive D: anymore! Why not? That does not...
  7. Access my user files from another PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Access my user files from another PC: I am trying to access files from my previous PC. I've restored the backup of that PC's C: drive to a vhdx virtual disk. I can mount it and access all of its files except the files in my user folder - I don't have access rights from my new computer. What to I need to do to...
  8. What is the best way to access another drive with another windows?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What is the best way to access another drive with another windows?: I have an HDD with windows 10 and just got an SSD with a fresh w10 install. Normally I would reboot to choose which drive to load from. Then move it from Documents to public so I can transfer it. Is there a better way for me to retrieve data from the HDD and move it to...
  9. Can not access Windows 10 drive from another PC

Can not access Windows 10 drive from another PC: I've had a good look for an answer to this, so apologies if it's already on here. All the posts I've so far read seem to give alternative routes to do what I've been doing. For years I shared my old XP drives with a Windows 7 laptop but could never work out to share them...
  10. How To Access A Hard Drive On My PC From Another PC?

How To Access A Hard Drive On My PC From Another PC?: Hey, So I have a hard drive on my laptop that I also want to be able to access on my desktop PC. How can I do this? I have already started off by going onto my laptop and into: This PC > (right click) C Drive > Properties > Sharing > Advanced Sharing > Permissions >...