Windows 10: Is there a way to automate find/replace in MS Word?

Discus and support Is there a way to automate find/replace in MS Word? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I know there is macros and other shortcuts, so I was wondering if there is a way to do something like this, or to its effect. I have a document... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/AceDenied, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Is there a way to automate find/replace in MS Word?

I know there is macros and other shortcuts, so I was wondering if there is a way to do something like this, or to its effect.

I have a document "my_document_XXXX" and the phrase 'XXXX' appears in multiple places in the document. So I was wondering if there is a way where if I replace the document title 'XXXX', it will find and replace all instances of 'XXXX' within the document.

submitted by /u/AceDenied
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/AceDenied, Jan 10, 2021

2. MS WORD

I have proceeded with your suggestion of selecting the word document saved in a path and tried to select it for right clicking but miserably failed. It has not allowed me to select the word document first and windows explorer hanged circling for sometime
    and came out of explorer itself. This issue may be something different I feel. Other MS docs like excel, notepad etc are opening correctly when I double click as usual and this word document only giving problem.

Please suggest some other workable solution.

Thanks,

Balakrishnan.

BalakrishnanVenkatraman, Jan 10, 2021
  3. asus2016 Win User
    Word replacing curly quotes with straight ones not working

This is for Windows version 1909, and Word version 2002.

My wife runs, as far as I can tell, the same build of Word as I do - 1257.20242.

But the pretty basic Word process to replace curly quotes with smart ones isn't working on her machine and copy of office.

That process would of course be:

• File > options > proofing > autocorrect
    • Uncheck the straight quotes/smart quotes box
    • Click okay on the bottom
    • Pick replace from the right side of the ribbon
    • Enter " in both the find and replace boxes, then pick "replace all"
    • Repeat, but with ' in the find and replace boxes
    • All your smart quotes will now be straight quotes

Doing the above, the "replace" step comes back with nonzero number of replacements made (ten for example). But the quotes will still be curly ones, when she wants straight.

If she sends me a docx file she's having this problem on, I can easily fix it (straighten the quotes) on my machine/Word. But it won't work on hers.

I even tried replacing the quotes with a nonsense string (\\\\) and those changes stuck. As did replacing \\\\ back with quotes. But they were curly, not straight.

Other things tried, that didn't work:

• Signing out and then back into Word with her Microsoft account
    • Quitting all instances of Word and then picking the documents up again
    • Toggle the smart/curly box, make the replacements, toggle box again, make replacements

This can't be that hard. What am I missing?

- - - Updated - - -

Other interesting update.

I opened a file she emailed me, that had curly quotes on her machine. And it had straight quotes on mine. And I then changed the straights to curlies on mine, and they stuck, and back to straight and they stuck.

How can her document have the right kind of quotes on my machine, but wrong on hers?

asus2016, Jan 10, 2021
  4. Is there a way to automate find/replace in MS Word?

How to add new words to the built in dictionary in Omnia 7

You can't add them directly, but there is a way within spell check. If you have several you know you want to enter, open a word doc, and type your company name in with a space behind it.Tap the name and it will have a squiggly underline. At the bottom where
    the suggestions are, the first one will be your company name with a little plus in front of it. Tap that and it will be added to the dictionary.

If your company name is close enough to something that WP automatically 'fixes' it for you when you hit space, (the first item in the suggestion list is bold), don't worry, tap the replaced word, and again the first word in the suggestion list will be what
    you typed originally, with a plus in front. Again hitting the word/plus will add the word.

That is a good hint for anytime WP replaces a word for you didn't want replaced. Just tap what it put in and your word will be first in the list of suggestions.

Be careful, as I know how to get things into the list...I haven't a clue how you would get a mistake out Is there a way to automate find/replace in MS Word? ;)

Sven Johannsen, Jan 10, 2021
Thema:

Is there a way to automate find/replace in MS Word?

1. Is there a way to automate find/replace in MS Word? - Similar Threads - automate find replace

2. Ms Word

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ms Word: When I open Ms Word then it automatically open in Chrome but I want to open it as an app so how can I do this....pls reply? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-word/49ff8dad-2dc2-4cf3-9cf0-3e8aa75b3e9d
  3. Ms Word

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ms Word: When I open Ms Word then it automatically open in Chrome but I want to open it as an app so how can I do this....pls reply? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-word/49ff8dad-2dc2-4cf3-9cf0-3e8aa75b3e9d
  4. MS Word

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS Word: I lost my Word files when my hard drive crashed last week Where can I get download for my new hard drive ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-word/1cfbe2cf-d742-4f22-8e33-f1ed07672b58
  5. MS Word

MS Word: I lost my Word files when my hard drive crashed last week Where can I get download for my new hard drive ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-word/1cfbe2cf-d742-4f22-8e33-f1ed07672b58
  6. Find and Replace, Word, with wildcards?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Find and Replace, Word, with wildcards?: I'm trying to replace in a TXT files lines of the form: [email protected]com or [email protected] with @xyz.com or @xyz.org I can't seem to find the right combination of wildcards and other settings in Word 2013. Either nothing gets replaced, or I thousands of replacements...
  7. MS WORD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MS WORD: Whenever I save a Word document choosing the path in my desktop system it is successfully done. But when I access this Word file later on in the path it is saved 'windows explorer' hangs and the saved Word file is not opening. When I go to the task manager it shows windows...
  8. Any Way to Automate a Response?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Any Way to Automate a Response?: Hi! I'm owning my private website dedicated to the FS franchise (Lessons In Microsoft Flight Simulator / Leçons de vol pour les Flight Simulator de Microsoft, http://flightlessons.6te.net/ ) and I often answer to the questions here about troubles with installing, or...
  9. replacement for utility that automates Outlook scanpst repairs

in Windows 10 Support
    replacement for utility that automates Outlook scanpst repairs: I'm not a professional IT guy, so i don't know how to solve this problem myself. I'm just Joe Enthusiast here. Here is the situation. System is Win 10 64 Pro, currently at 1809, with patches applied. 16 GB of RAM, with SSD for C: and D: (data) partitions. Outlook is part of...
  10. Is there a way to find word endings in Windows Explorer?

Is there a way to find word endings in Windows Explorer?: When I search for the end of a word, such as "HV22" in Windows explorer, it won't find it, yet, If I search for the beginning of the word, it will. Is there any way to find the word endings without needing another app? 119334