Windows 10: Is there a way to block bad sectors on a HDD?

Discus and support Is there a way to block bad sectors on a HDD? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Windows 10 Version 1909. My wifes harddisk have some bad sectors, we are aware of this and the harddisk will be replaced eventually. But right now she... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jimkromann, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Is there a way to block bad sectors on a HDD?

Windows 10 Version 1909.

My wifes harddisk have some bad sectors, we are aware of this and the harddisk will be replaced eventually. But right now she have to keep using it.

I have promised help her format and reinstall Windows 10 on her PC.
    Is there any way i can mark those bad sectors to the system will stop storing data on them?
    It is not an SSD.

Thank you in advance
    Jim

:)

jimkromann, Dec 9, 2019

2. HDD Bad Sector

Hi Nataniel!

I am not sure what your question is exactly, but one thing I'd recommend for sure will be to look for a replacement drive since there is already a bad sector on your current one.

Basically there are two kinds of bad sectors - hardware and software:

• Hardware ones are caused by physical damage or becoming magnetically fixed, and they are unrepairable. In short, once they appear it's only a matter of time (no way to say how long) until the HDD fails.
    • Software bad sectors on the other hand occur when something called an Error Correction Code (ECC) doesn't match the contents of the hard drive. These can be repaired by overwriting the data on the drive with zeroes (a.k.a. low level formatting) and sometimes
      by running a **chkdsk [write the letter of the drive:] /r** in the CMD.

As for getting the information from the drive if one of the partitions fail, most likely you won't be able to, which is why I'd suggest to make a regular backup of your most important data.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

MightyMiro_WD, Dec 9, 2019
  3. BAD SECTORS ON HDD, REFORMAT AND REINSTALL W10 FREE UPGRADE

Hi,

Thank you for providing us with the response to our questions.

I suggest you to run Check disk and check if it helps. Remove your external Hard drive and perform the steps on your system:

Check disk is a utility that can check your hard drive for corrupted segments and fix them. You can refer to these steps to run the Check disk utility:

• Press Windows key + X, select “Command promt (Admin)”.

• In the command prompt window, type
      “chkdsk/r” and press Enter.

• Press “Y” when it asks if you want to check disk to run when the computer boots the next time.

• Restart the computer for Check disk to detect and repair any corrupted sectors in your hard drive.
    Important: While performing Error-checking or ChkDsk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found and when attempting to repair that sector, the
    data available on that sector might b
    e lost.

Please let us know if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Dec 9, 2019
  4. AsRock Win User

Is there a way to block bad sectors on a HDD?

drive with bad sectors

There is no way to fix a bad sector\block on a HDD although some times it's marked as bad when it's not.

So backup your data and format the HDD ( not quick format ). Then run chkdsk on it again and see if they show up.

If they do maybe your HDD is under warranty still ?.. Time for a RMA as when bad sectors start showing it it can get a lot worse depending on whats making the error.

AsRock, Dec 9, 2019
Thema:

Is there a way to block bad sectors on a HDD?

1. Is there a way to block bad sectors on a HDD? - Similar Threads - block bad sectors

2. Bad sectors on Seagate ST2000DM001 HDD. The end?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bad sectors on Seagate ST2000DM001 HDD. The end?: hello.i am using a Seagate st2000dm001 hard drive which apparently has "bad sectors" on it. i am running HD Tune 2.55 right now and i have already found 4 bad sectors. The hard drive is somewhere around 8-9 years old now. i've been getting a lot disk read errors while gaming...
  3. Bad sectors on Seagate ST2000DM001 HDD. The end?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bad sectors on Seagate ST2000DM001 HDD. The end?: hello.i am using a Seagate st2000dm001 hard drive which apparently has "bad sectors" on it. i am running HD Tune 2.55 right now and i have already found 4 bad sectors. The hard drive is somewhere around 8-9 years old now. i've been getting a lot disk read errors while gaming...
  4. Bad Sectors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bad Sectors: Hi, my HDD has bad sectors and my os is just ubuntu , Can I fix them via windows 10 media disk chkdsk without any change my ubuntu system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bad-sectors/aada8c97-4e9c-4afe-b1b3-2c4494039794
  5. Cant fix bad sectors on HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cant fix bad sectors on HDD: I have a hard drive that is about 64% health the last time i checked its status. This time window files got corrupted after each restart now so i did chkdsk /r and dsim in boot drive command prompt. Each has completed their operation but yet it doesnt seem that they both did...
  6. How to repair bad sectors of hdd ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to repair bad sectors of hdd ?: How to repair bad sectors of hard disks in Windows 10 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-repair-bad-sectors-of-hdd/43da372e-56e9-47aa-890e-af262706fde0
  7. Bad sectors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bad sectors: Windows replaced bad clusters in file CD of name windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI GAMING 3. ETL. Windows replaced bad clusters in file 365 of name \PROGRA-2\INCRED-1\Logs\BUILDS-1. LOG....
  8. HDD is about to fail, bad sectors...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    HDD is about to fail, bad sectors...: So I have a problem with my HDD (Seagate Barracuda 2TB st2000dm008 7200 RPM) that I bought in May 2020, I've been using it since then, and when I checked it's health in HD sentinel and other programs it showed %4 health like on this screen: [ATTACH] I currently have no...
  9. Bad Sectors on HDD and SSD: Introduction and Repairing

in Windows 10 News
    Bad Sectors on HDD and SSD: Introduction and Repairing: [ATTACH]Before understanding Bad Sectors and how to repair bad sectors, you should know about sectors and what they do. This post explains sectors, bad sectors, […] This article Bad Sectors on HDD and SSD: Introduction and Repairing first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com....
  10. Bad sectors in HDD question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bad sectors in HDD question: I got a new HDD Seagate Barracuda 1 TB this August 2019. And now I have 2016 bad sectors in it. My previous WD 1 TB HDD which was 1 year old also failed due to bad sectors. I wanted to ask why my new HDDs getting bad sectors so quickly. I shut down my pc properly and I do...