Windows 10: Is there a way to change the name of this user file without breaking things?

Discus and support Is there a way to change the name of this user file without breaking things? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Pookias [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fpni33/is_there_a_way_to_change_the_name_of_this_user/ Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Pookias, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Is there a way to change the name of this user file without breaking things?

/u/Pookias, Mar 26, 2020

2. How to change User name on Windows 10

Hi Davit,

I will certainly help you in changing the User name on Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to change the User name:

• Press Windows logo + R keys to open the run command, type
      netplwiz
      and click on Ok.
    • On the Users tab, click on Properties to change the user name and then click on
      Apply.
    Kindly get back to us for any further assistance on Windows 10. We will be glad to help.

Thank you.

Sudeep Aprameyan, Mar 26, 2020
  3. user name change

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you are facing some issues using Windows 10.

I would suggest you to follow the steps given below and check if that helps.

• Press Windows + X key.

• Click on control panel.

• Click on user accounts.

• Click on change your account name.
    Change the name as per your according and restart the computer.

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if you need any other assistance with Windows in future. We will be happy to assist you.

Mayank Gupta10, Mar 26, 2020
  4. Martmcd Win User

Is there a way to change the name of this user file without breaking things?

How to change the name of the user

You cant reply to the automated email, it is just notifying you that a thread has a response.

going back to your original post.

when you create a new user, windows creates folders under the c:\Users directory with the account name (ie Geoff) if you rename the user, although the new name is shown on login etc the directory names don't change.

the easiest way to get rid of Geoff is to -

• change the username to something else (or back to Geoff)
    • create a new user with your name
    • copy all your documents, photos, videos etc. from Geoff to your new user
    • delete the Geoff user account and remove folders etc.
    this can all be done in user accounts as suggested by Ruth

Martmcd, Mar 26, 2020
Thema:

Is there a way to change the name of this user file without breaking things?

1. Is there a way to change the name of this user file without breaking things? - Similar Threads - change name user

2. Change User File Name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change User File Name: my system was set up buy the the people putting it together.my name was misspelled and i would like to correct it.this is a windows 11 system I was a some how able to change my profile name as the admin.in the registry it has my correct name - just the user file on C: Drive...
  3. Change User File Name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change User File Name: my system was set up buy the the people putting it together.my name was misspelled and i would like to correct it.this is a windows 11 system I was a some how able to change my profile name as the admin.in the registry it has my correct name - just the user file on C: Drive...
  4. User Name changing without user input

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Name changing without user input: I have a notebook for an employee who's user name was "Kim." This morning her notebook now shows her user name as "Kim_KXVYL." No one intentionally changed her user name. How could such a change happen unintentionally? I don't know if it is related but this users desktop...
  5. User Name changing without user input

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User Name changing without user input: I have a notebook for an employee who's user name was "Kim." This morning her notebook now shows her user name as "Kim_KXVYL." No one intentionally changed her user name. How could such a change happen unintentionally? I don't know if it is related but this users desktop...
  6. User Name changing without user input

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Is there any way to rename user folder name aka this : C:\Users\<user name> without...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is there any way to rename user folder name aka this : C:\Users\<user name> without...: i am trying to rename this because my current folder name is kind of a joke. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-any-way-to-rename-user-folder-name-aka/4858d831-8cf8-4422-b0c7-3f2b69fae403
  8. User File Name Change

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User File Name Change: I was wondering if there was any way to change the user file name https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-file-name-change/3ccd48c5-aeb4-4eae-a7bb-6accc2165d01"
  9. Change User file name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change User file name: Hi During a complete reinstall somehow a user file name got changed C:\Users\X it should have been C:\Users\Richard how do I change it back? Thanks for any help. Rich 116571
  10. Change User file name

in Windows 10 Support
    Change User file name: Hi During a complete reinstall somehow a user file name got changed C:\Users\X it should have been C:\Users\Richard how do I change it back? Thanks for any help. Rich 116571