Windows 10: Is there a way to change the primary user on my PC but keep all the files and apps?

Discus and support Is there a way to change the primary user on my PC but keep all the files and apps? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I originally set up my laptop with my son's Microsoft account. He's not using it anymore, and I want to change to mine. I've been using it for a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MaryLa5, Jun 25, 2020.

1. MaryLa5 Win User

Is there a way to change the primary user on my PC but keep all the files and apps?

I originally set up my laptop with my son's Microsoft account. He's not using it anymore, and I want to change to mine. I've been using it for a couple years now, and want to keep the Office 365 apps along with all of the files and documents. Is there a way to do that?

:)

MaryLa5, Jun 25, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

How to change default app for file type

@Bree - yes, I'm quite aware of this thanks, but as you will see it's missing. I recall reading that clicking the dialogue at a certain point in blank space made it appear, and trying that once successfully, but doesn't seem to help now. Plenty of other similar reports of this option being missing.

Is there a way to change the primary user on my PC but keep all the files and apps? [​IMG]

'Fix' described here: (essentially unassociate the extension)
    Windows 10 "Always use this app" checkbox missing - Super User

dalchina, Jun 25, 2020
  3. Change primary alias

Hello,

Thank you for your reply,

As per description, when you click to change the primary on nothing happens.

Have you tried to perform the troubleshooting steps provided under section
    Change which alias is primary
    ?

If you have not performed the troubleshooting steps I would suggest you perform steps under
    Change which alias is primary , from my previous post. Which are as follow.

Note: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset
    parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows.

Ashish Sondhi, Jun 25, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

Is there a way to change the primary user on my PC but keep all the files and apps?

How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

Is there a way to change the primary user on my PC but keep all the files and apps? [​IMG]

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

Thema:

1. Is there a way to change the primary user on my PC but keep all the files and apps? - Similar Threads - change primary user

2. Is there any way to filter admin user group to not become primary users for a PC in Intune?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there any way to filter admin user group to not become primary users for a PC in Intune?: Hi,We have an SCCM + Intune Co-management in place for our Windows workstations.We have some legacy steps in our workstation delivery process , which require our helpdesk team to logon to these computers for installing few components before handing them to our end users.Now...
  3. Is there any way to filter admin user group to not become primary users for a PC in Intune?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any way to filter admin user group to not become primary users for a PC in Intune?: Hi,We have an SCCM + Intune Co-management in place for our Windows workstations.We have some legacy steps in our workstation delivery process , which require our helpdesk team to logon to these computers for installing few components before handing them to our end users.Now...
  4. If i reset my pc but keep all my files will it keep the files for all accounts on the pc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If i reset my pc but keep all my files will it keep the files for all accounts on the pc?: i want to reset my pc but i want to make sure it keeps all the files for all the accounts on the pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-i-reset-my-pc-but-keep-all-my-files-will-it/871ebdf9-44b6-4aad-b9b3-73c2065d86be
  5. If i reset my pc but keep all my files will it keep the files for all accounts on the pc?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    If i reset my pc but keep all my files will it keep the files for all accounts on the pc?: i want to reset my pc but i want to make sure it keeps all the files for all the accounts on the pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-i-reset-my-pc-but-keep-all-my-files-will-it/871ebdf9-44b6-4aad-b9b3-73c2065d86be
  6. If i reset my pc but keep all my files will it keep the files for all accounts on the pc?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Changing primary user

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changing primary user: I want to delete my current Microsoft account (privacy issues) but it is currently being used as the primary user on my desktop. How do I go about removing this account and adding a new one while not losing any of my settings/data? submitted by /u/freshiii_ [link]...
  8. Is there a way to move all my files to another user account?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a way to move all my files to another user account?: Howdy! can you move all the installed programs, documents and other files from one Windows 10 user account to another or other? I was banned from my main account at Microsoft and can't play a game online so I made a second user and created a new Microsoft account where I can...
  9. Is there a way to change the primary account to the guest account?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to change the primary account to the guest account?: When I write "/net user" in CMD the account I want to delete is a "WDAGutilityaccount" while the account I always use is shown as guest. I have tried everything to delete the account but because it seems like it is the main account it can't be deleted. I want to leave only...
  10. change who is the primary user of the computer

in Windows 10 Support
    change who is the primary user of the computer: when you have 2+ users on the computer, it seems to boot the computer with either the oldest account, or (i assume this is the correct one) the highest level account (local admin > admin > standard) so if you're like me and have 2 account, an admin and a standard user, it'll...