Windows 10: Is there a way to change the volume level of a playback device that's not the default one...

Discus and support Is there a way to change the volume level of a playback device that's not the default one... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I am pretty sure that the title is very descriptive, and shows what i want to achieve without a description. However i also know that some of you are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TheCreepyPL, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Is there a way to change the volume level of a playback device that's not the default one...

I am pretty sure that the title is very descriptive, and shows what i want to achieve without a description. However i also know that some of you are curious why i would want to do that, well here's the (short) story behind it:

Basically i am a Youtube and Twitch content creator (i am not providing any links since i don't want this to look like an advertisement, unless you'll ask for it), and i was always struggling with having the perfect audio. Basically i found a way to separate: my music (spotify), my mic, my friends (either Discord or TS3), and everything else on the last track (like game audio, electric guitar sound, pc notifications etc.). The way i did it is by installing virtual audio cables, and then mixing everything inside Voicemeeter Banana. And everything works very very well. However, I have a slight issue with adjusting the volume on the run (with my keyboard). In Voicemeeter i can hook my volume keys to the main output, but that only effects "the everything else track", so not my music nor my friends. However, if i manually adjust the volume level of my headphones (not the level of the "Voicemeeter" device), then it works as expected. The thing is, i need to keep the "Voicemeeter" device as default one for everything to work. And as far as my google research went, i couldn't find a solution to it. So i decided to make a post here.

In advance,

Thanks for your help lovely people of Reddit!

submitted by /u/TheCreepyPL
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/TheCreepyPL, Feb 12, 2020

2. Maintaining volume level across different devices or Device specific volume to be used

Hello Jain,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your requirement in this regard.

With your description, we tried to reproduce the issue and found a way to make it possible. Follow below mentioned steps and see if they helps you.

* Go to System tray (I.e. bottom right corner) and right-click on
    Speaker Icon and select Playback devices from connect menu.

* Under Playback tab, right-click on the Speaker device listed there and select
    Properties.

* Go to Levels tab, drag and set the volume slider for Speakers as required and click
    OK. Close all windows.

* Now plug-in the Headphones and again go and right-click on Speaker Icon and select Playback devices
    from connect menu.

* Under Playback tab, right-click on the Speaker/Headphones device listed there and select
    Properties.

* Click on Levels tab, then drag and set the volume slider for Headphones to other value as per your requirement and Click
    OK. Now check if it works.

Let us know how it went.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Feb 12, 2020
  3. Shortcut for Playback Devices in Win 10?

hi since upgrading to widows 10 I have lost cd and dvd playback capabilities , and after opening volume control and selecting playback devices found there is not any devices there

michaelwilliamsmith, Feb 12, 2020
  4. Is there a way to change the volume level of a playback device that's not the default one...

Different default playback device for each user profile.

Hi hs369258,

Windows 10 has a feature that allows you to select a default sound output. If you want to replace your current audio device, you can select the other audio playback device available on your system and set it as
    default. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Right-click the sound icon in your system tray and click
      Playback Devices.
    2. On the Playback tab, check which device is the default. Then, right-click it then set it to default.

In addition, you can visit this link:
    https://winaero.com/blog/change-default-audio-device-windows-10/
    to perform an alternative option to change your default audio device.

If you would like me to provide additional advice, simply respond to this thread. I will get notified and I’ll reply to you as soon as I can.

Johann Eva, Feb 12, 2020
Thema:

Is there a way to change the volume level of a playback device that's not the default one...

1. Is there a way to change the volume level of a playback device that's not the default one... - Similar Threads - change volume level

2. Visual volume slider only shows the default playback device's volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Visual volume slider only shows the default playback device's volume: When I change the volume for my headset using its hardware slider its volume is changed as expected, but the visual volume slider shows the current volume of my default playback device, which is not my headset.I use Voicemeeter Banana so setting my headset to be the default...
  3. Visual volume slider only shows the default playback device's volume

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Visual volume slider only shows the default playback device's volume: When I change the volume for my headset using its hardware slider its volume is changed as expected, but the visual volume slider shows the current volume of my default playback device, which is not my headset.I use Voicemeeter Banana so setting my headset to be the default...
  4. Microphone Volume Level changing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microphone Volume Level changing: This problem has persisted for as long as I've been using windows 10 and I have never seen a working fix. My microphone Is plugged in, set to default device in sound control panel and I've set the gain on the microphone itself to where I would like it and have also set the...
  5. Change the default device and default communication device, changing it this way only...

Change the default device and default communication device, changing it this way only...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/the_frgtn_drgn [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/khugir/change_the_default_device_and_default/
  6. Select playback device doesn't change the default communication device.

Select playback device doesn't change the default communication device.: I often switch between my headset and the monitor for audio, and while this is simply done for most applications by clicking the volume icon in the taskbar and changing devices, this only changes the default audio device, not the default communication device. This becomes a...
  7. Volume Levels Always Changing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Volume Levels Always Changing: To start I generally use a bluetooth headset with my pc but I dont think its the hardware itself. Whenever I'm watching shows, playing games, or just chatting in a call I've noticed that the audio levels just keep becoming louder for no clear reason. It's gotten to the...
  8. Change the output volume for one device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change the output volume for one device: Hello I've recently got new headphones for my desktop, but the problem is they are ridiculously loud (e.g. I have to the system volume down to 2 just to not blow my eardrums). There are volume buttons on the headphones, However they change the system volume not the...
  9. Cannot Change Default Playback Device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot Change Default Playback Device: I did a fresh install of windows 10 pro from windows 7 and I'm already starting to hate myself. I open the playback devices tab under sound and click on my Siberia v2 illuminated headset and click set as default device and it does nothing. I can't disable my speakers or...
  10. Change Default Audio Playback Device in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Audio Playback Device in Windows 10: How to: Change Default Audio Playback Device in Windows 10 How to Change Default Sound Output Device in Windows 10 The default audio playback device is the device that Windows uses to output (play) sound. When you connect speakers, headphones, Bluetooth headset, or...