Windows 10: Is there a way to completely disable Cortana?

Discus and support Is there a way to completely disable Cortana? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So I just installed Windows 10, everything seems to be running great at the moment except for 1 thing, Cortana is still running in the background... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SlackerITGuy, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Is there a way to completely disable Cortana?

So I just installed Windows 10, everything seems to be running great at the moment except for 1 thing, Cortana is still running in the background (taking up around ~30MBs of RAM), even after following Brink's tutorial (link).

Is there a way to disable it completely?

:)

SlackerITGuy, Jul 28, 2015
  2. SAM-1 Win User
    SAM-1, Jul 28, 2015
  3. Is there a way to completely block Windows Update in Windows 10?

Hi Janka and Michael,

The task that you are trying to accomplish is possible. There is an article about:
    Hide Windows updates or driver updates. Kindly follow the instructions on the article. There is also
    another article about: How to temporarily prevent a Windows Update from reinstalling
    in Windows 10
    . this article will guide you how to hide or prevent this update from reinstalling.

You also said the PC that he is using is having an issue with disk space. Kindly go to
    Settings>> Storage>> Change how to free up space>> check the options that applies to your PC>> Click, Clean now.

In the future, to save space you save your new apps, documents, and files on a
    USB stick
    or a an external hardrive to prevent your disk space from piling up. To do this, please follow these steps: Go to
    Settings>> Storage>> Change where new content is saved>> Select the destination.

If you have other concerns, let us know.

Robert Caw, Jul 28, 2015
  4. Is there a way to completely disable Cortana?

My solution is to right-click, Open File Location. Then, go back, and Go to Details, from there end the process tree. Once you end the process tree, rename the folder and move it to a different folder, or delete it entirely. I don't know what MS will do in the long run, or even address Cortana, so, caution.

PhegPhaceKat, Jul 31, 2015
  5. Thanks for the tip.

I would really like a "master switch" sort of thing, something that disables Cortana completely without jumping through hoops.

I have noticed though that Cortana's process goes down to ~0.1 MB after hours of having your PC turned on.

SlackerITGuy, Jul 31, 2015
  6. I just tried doing that, but when I end the Cortana task, it instantly restarts, faster than I can rename its folder. Am I missing something here?

Anthony2816, Aug 1, 2015
  7. You need to right-click it and end the SearchUI.exe process tree. There is an "end process" option and "end process tree" option.

PhegPhaceKat, Aug 1, 2015
  8. Is there a way to completely disable Cortana?

Yeah, I did that. End Process or End Process Tree...either way it pops right back.

Anthony2816, Aug 1, 2015
  9. Then, I'm uncertain of what can be done. The only other things I have done are editing Group Policies, (Win+R, gpedit.msc) under TaskBar and Start Menu, editing some of the Internet Search options and others regarding Internet access via the Taskbar.

10. slapnuts Win User
    There is a way to still completly stop it in the process area. Like you said, it pops back too quickly but i found a way to stop it but you gotta be a bit quick but the way i did it gives you enough time to rename it.

This is what i did...

Go to "TaskManager" then go into the "Details" tab in task manager...find SearchUI.exe.

Right click on SearchUI.exe and select Open File Location. You will see this folder Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy if you go back to SystemApps or this is the directions to this directory...C Drive/Windows/SystemApps...find Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy folder

Ok now this is what i did to give me enough time to rename Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy....I right clicked on Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy and added a 1 at the end of the title ....It wont let you rename it because SearchUI.exe is running, this we all know. So what i did is when i tried renaming Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy by adding the number 1 at the end of
    Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy1...a small window pops up and says "FILE IN USE" and you will see the button to "TRY AGAIN" ....move this "File in Use" window over to the right of your screen...and then go back to the TaskManger/Details Tab...find SearchUI.exe..right click and select "End Process Tree"....now you will have enough time to go to that open notice that says "FILE IN USE" and quickly press "Try Again" before SearchIU.exe opens back up...you have enough time this method to rename the folder this way.

Let me repeat....You gotta slide over the "File in Use" window over on your screen..so you have the "Try Again" button visible when you go back to TaskManger / Details tab to quickly close out SearchUI.exe by closing the tree process..then soon as you do that go back over to "FILE IN USE" and quickly press "Try Again" ...it will work this way.

I now have only 900mb of memory used in windows 10 after doing this...and i have a pretty fast rig i built...the Cortana Search ate up some mem..not that its windows 10 is bad..i really like windows 10..seems very efficient as it is.

Here is the "FILE IN USE" small window that pops up...the photo below is just an example

Is there a way to completely disable Cortana? [​IMG]

slapnuts, Aug 1, 2015
  11. ^ Pretty much this. I posted the same thing in another forum regarding disabling Cortana, and this seems to be the easiest way to do it.

12. SeaTrane Win User
    Disable Cortana and web search in "Search bar" by clicking on it, going to Settings by pressing on a cog icon, and turning off both
    Is there a way to completely disable Cortana? [​IMG]

SeaTrane, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Is there a way to completely disable Cortana?

1. Is there a way to completely disable Cortana? - Similar Threads - completely disable Cortana

2. Is there a way to completely disable the numpad on my desktop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to completely disable the numpad on my desktop?: I've obviously tried the NUMLOCK key but that only disables the actual numbers. The ENTER key and * / etc. still function. Also the NUMPAD numbers act like arrow keys for moving the cursor. Due to my desktop set up I use a pillow to prop up my arm and it hits the numpad and...
  3. So is there a way to completely disable Windows Defender now?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    So is there a way to completely disable Windows Defender now?: now that Windows prevents creating keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender is there a way to disable completely Defender? submitted by /u/RedBlueWhiteBlack [link] [comments]...
  4. Is there a way to make Cortana completely silent?

in Cortana
    Is there a way to make Cortana completely silent?: I don't wish to hear her annoying voice, I want to get answers ONLY in written form. I searched the whole Internet and found no answer. Please don't tell me I'm the only person on this planet who wants to have that option available. There must be a way, through registry...
  5. disable cortana

in Windows 10 Customization
    disable cortana: how can I disable cortana completely when I play a game it pops up in task manager and takes a little cpu and it hangs my game a little https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-cortana/d7fd4128-6c0d-438c-a556-34ca7b7c38ed
  6. Cortana Partially Appearing After Disabling. How to Disable Cortana Completely?

in Cortana
    Cortana Partially Appearing After Disabling. How to Disable Cortana Completely?: Hello, I am trying to disable cortana in my new laptop Windows 10 system, which I am still configuring things. I followed some steps in regedit and set a flag to 0. Source: https://www.hows.tech/2019/04/disable-cortana-in-windows-10.html But it is still showing up the...
  7. Is there a way to stop/disable Cortana?

in Cortana
    Is there a way to stop/disable Cortana?: Cannot keep Cortana from running nor from restarting after I do End Task on Task Manager. How to disable it permanently? I don't feel confident enough to do the Registry Edit thing, so hope there are other options available. It sucks that Microsoft is forcing all of these...
  8. Looking for a way to completely disable virtual desktops

in Windows 10 Support
    Looking for a way to completely disable virtual desktops: Working in a school environment we are trying to find a way via GPO to completely disabel the virtual desktops for our workstations. We have pt in place the setting to hide the taskbar icon but the WIN-CTRL-D shortcut is still accessible. The registry hacks to disable the WIN...
  9. Disable Cortana??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Cortana??: How do you disable this?? I used a registry hack but still no good. I want to be able to search without this This is after the new 1607 update. 58467
  10. How to disable Cortana completely?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable Cortana completely?: How to disable Cortana completely? I have turn it off but its still in the task bar running. After end task, it will repop after few sec. 12421