Windows 10: Is there a way to CPU-limit or freeze processes in non-active sessions?

Discus and support Is there a way to CPU-limit or freeze processes in non-active sessions? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My gaming PC is also used by other members of the family. We're each having our separate accounts, all of them regular (non-admin) users, and all is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ThePathIsAnIllusion, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Is there a way to CPU-limit or freeze processes in non-active sessions?

My gaming PC is also used by other members of the family. We're each having our separate accounts, all of them regular (non-admin) users, and all is well.

Often, people stop what they are doing - e.g., playing a game - and just lock the screen to let others switch to their account; or just lock the screen and come back 5 hours later. Some games or applications still use as much CPU as they can get if they're in the background, making the PC quite sluggish for the active sesssion, and sometimes preventing energy saving mode.

Is there a way, either with onboard tools, or 3rd party, to automatically throttle/freeze all processes of non-active user sessions? I would prefer if they are not outright killed/logged out, but even that would be a possibility (but in that case it needs to be limited to certain accounts and/or processes, or with a grace period). The optimum would be if they would simply get 0 CPU at all (and I am using the term "simply" loosely here, I know that it is not), i.e., freeze up until their session becomes active again. I am aware that this would wreak havoc with applications/games that use an online connection, but that would be fine with me.

submitted by /u/ThePathIsAnIllusion
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ThePathIsAnIllusion, Dec 12, 2020

2. Windows 10 freezing due to high CPU usage.

I installed Windows 10 yesterday. Now when I turn on my computer and sign in after about 30 seconds on the desktop it's starts to freeze and lag a lot! I manage to open Task manager in that 30 seconds and it says "system" uses around 90+% of the cpu and
    then other processes make it up to 99% of the cpu being used. There's no way to stop it as if I try to open another thing it freezes and stops working. Ive tried going into the updates list to maybe uninstall the updates but it freezes loading up the list
    as it's to much for the cpu. The only way I can get it to work is to unplug the computer and turn it back on but it just keeps recurring over and over again. I don't know what's wrong!

michaelryan1727, Dec 12, 2020
  3. cs1909 Win User
    Is it ok to change CPU rate limit of SID mid process?

One process in particular is using a lot of CPU (100% and raising temps to 95C) which needs to run for long period of time(~3 hrs). Using this

guide
    helped limit the usable bandwidth of CPU to 50%. But unfortunately it slowed that process considerably(~9hrs), is it ok if I raised the CPU rate limit to higher number mid process.

Also the process does not allow changing affinity or priority?

cs1909, Dec 12, 2020
  4. Is there a way to CPU-limit or freeze processes in non-active sessions?

How to limit the maximum CPU resources for a specific process?

I've googled and found this blog but when I try to repeat the steps, I see that my context menu doesn't have the options to limit a process. I restarted Task Manager as admin but it didn't make any difference.

How can I limit Windows Defender? It goes bananas on occasion. I want it to keep working but not make my computer fan act as a helicopter...

Is there a way to CPU-limit or freeze processes in non-active sessions? ExH6f.png

Konrad Viltersten, Dec 12, 2020
Thema:

Is there a way to CPU-limit or freeze processes in non-active sessions?

1. Is there a way to CPU-limit or freeze processes in non-active sessions? - Similar Threads - CPU limit freeze

2. How to limit windows installer / idle processes usage on cpu????

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to limit windows installer / idle processes usage on cpu????: Windows Modules Installer Worker is causing my cpu to hit 100%, I looked under details tab on task manger, it shows system idle processes cpu 96%.I tryed to change the pority level on it and its grayed out, how do i limit this so it dont use up my entire cpu every time i...
  3. How to limit windows installer / idle processes usage on cpu????

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to limit windows installer / idle processes usage on cpu????: Windows Modules Installer Worker is causing my cpu to hit 100%, I looked under details tab on task manger, it shows system idle processes cpu 96%.I tryed to change the pority level on it and its grayed out, how do i limit this so it dont use up my entire cpu every time i...
  4. How to limit windows installer / idle processes usage on cpu????

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Is there a way to pre-change a process cpu affinity?

Is there a way to pre-change a process cpu affinity?: I've been playing a game, but it uses all my cores and threads making my computer unstable, is there any way to change the priority of the process before it even starts? I've tried using a key in the registry to change the affinity of a process, I've tried to use a "NT...
  6. Freezing Remote Sessions

Freezing Remote Sessions: Hi, I am working in customer support and we need to remotely connect to customers PC for solving issues they have. Since Windows 10 I noticed that sometimes programs sometimes system programs like Services and sometimes normal software programs stop giving me the...
  7. "System" process hogging cpu, traced to non existent driver

"System" process hogging cpu, traced to non existent driver: Hi all. A few weeks ago I installed an audio recording software, but only used it once initially, and haven't used it since. I noticed a little later on that a process called "system" was hogging 15-20% cpu when my games were running, and I had never seen this before....
  8. CPU limiting

CPU limiting: Hi. I have a laptop with an Intel Core i5 4200M that runs at 2.5 GHz. The LCD broke a few days ago and so I'm using an external monitor and the laptop is basically a desktop for now. Since it stays in the same place, instead of charging and discharging the battery the...
  9. Changing process priority or limiting maximum CPU

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Changing process priority or limiting maximum CPU: Is there any way to change task priority in W10, as it was in previous versions (Task Manager|Set Priority)? Dropbox likes to spend the first 10 minutes after waking up my computer taking 60-90% of processor cycles, and I've also noticed other processes which seem to pop...
  10. Track cpu usage of "only" active processes?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Track cpu usage of "only" active processes?: Is there a way to track cpu usage of processes only as they are active, with performance monitor perhaps, instead of manually adding processes to monitor? I want to get a general idea of what processes are using cpu time and when. 80457