Windows 10: Is there a way to create albums based on folders in Windows Photos?

Discus and support Is there a way to create albums based on folders in Windows Photos? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Title says it all really. I'm moving a large 20+ year photo library from the now defunct Google Picasa application to Windows Photos, and all my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Whitling2k, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Is there a way to create albums based on folders in Windows Photos?

Title says it all really.

I'm moving a large 20+ year photo library from the now defunct Google Picasa application to Windows Photos, and all my photographs are stored very neatly by folders.

I know I am going to lose a lot of my organisation when I move my library over, but one thing that would be handy is if my curated albums currently stored as folders could be recreated in Windows Photos as Albums... Is this possible to automate?

:)

Whitling2k, Jun 22, 2020
  2. DaveM121 Win User

where is newly created photo album

Hi William,

if you are creating the photo album in the Windows Photos App and are looking for its physical location - there is none . . .

A photo album in that app is basically just stored as a list of references to the photos locations, it does not actually create a folder of photos in the background

What you can do is export the Photo album to OneDrive if you use OneDrive, by clicking the upload button (upwards facing arrow)

Or just create a new folder on your Desktop, select all the photos in the album and drag them onto the new folder

DaveM121, Jun 22, 2020
  3. Lee Mac Win User
    How to Upload Folders of Photos to Albums on iCloud?

I'm trying to determine the best way to migrate multiple folders of photos on Windows 10 to iCloud.

Currently, I'm copying each folder of photos to the iCloud Photos\Uploads folder, which successfully uploads the photos to iCloud, however, the photos do not appear in albums and are therefore no longer grouped.

Is there a way to upload a folder of photos so that it appears in an album on iCloud, or do I have to manually create the album and move the photos into it after uploading?

Also, after uploading the folder of photos, should I delete the folder from the Uploads folder?

Lee Mac, Jun 22, 2020
  4. Tom_WC Win User

Is there a way to create albums based on folders in Windows Photos?

The easiest way to create abridged and compilation albums of your favorite photos

Edit: The November release provides a better approach - see the reply below.

Identifying your favorite pictures is not only the first step to creating compilation albums, but also saves you a lot of time when looking at individual albums. Here's how to do so when you're first editing your pictures.

With Photo Gallery reportedly being unsupported after January, it's only a matter of time before we'll no longer be able to use its flagging capabilities to identify favorites. And Explorer's "select" option only works as long as no updates are occurring
    in Photos at the same time.

So how can we conveniently identify favorites while editing an album or folder? Going into Explorer's Properties for each one is out of the question. And in Photos once you select pictures you cannot go into full screen mode. So I think we're expected
    to handle an album/folder in two passes, first editing it and only later selecting favorites for inclusion in a separate album.

But for those who are used to identifying favorites while editing, here's how you can do it. Go to the album's folder in Photos but don't click on anything. Then do the same in Explorer, sorting it by date to match Photos' sort. Then start a second copy
    of Photos from Explorer. You can edit from this second window and select favorites in the original Photos window.

Unfortunately it's not practical to then use Explorer to rate the selected pictures; it's easiest to simply add them to a new/different album. To make it easy to locate, begin the name with something that will cause it to appear at the top of an alphabetical
    listing (quotes won't work but you can use parentheses or ".", "_" or "#"). You'll normally want to use the alphabetical option for compilation albums since the listing by date uses the date of the oldest photo in the album.

Finally, what about pictures that you've rated or tagged in the past? If you're OK with viewing them in date sequence simply cut/paste the ones you want to a temporary folder, use Photos to then load that folder to an album, then cut/paste back to the original
    folder (Photos won't get confused).

Is there a better approach?

Tom_WC, Jun 22, 2020
Thema:

Is there a way to create albums based on folders in Windows Photos?

1. Is there a way to create albums based on folders in Windows Photos? - Similar Threads - create albums based

2. Microsoft Photos Windows 10 - Create Photo Albums with updated Photos app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Photos Windows 10 - Create Photo Albums with updated Photos app: How to create a Photo album using the updated version of Microsoft Photos app. Unable to find the Create option. Earlier version of Photos helped us to create nice albums with background audio etc.. whereas after the Photos app update, there is no create option at all....
  3. Microsoft Photos Windows 10 - Create Photo Albums with updated Photos app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Photos Windows 10 - Create Photo Albums with updated Photos app: How to create a Photo album using the updated version of Microsoft Photos app. Unable to find the Create option. Earlier version of Photos helped us to create nice albums with background audio etc.. whereas after the Photos app update, there is no create option at all....
  4. created new album in Photo but cant find it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    created new album in Photo but cant find it: Hi, I was viewing pics on Windows 10 laptop and wanted to save the best ones, I used the "add to" option to create a new album, however now I cant find the the new album I created. Any help would would be great, Kind regards, Scott...
  5. Create a folder for album saved in Photos , or, how to transfer an album saved in photos...

Create a folder for album saved in Photos , or, how to transfer an album saved in photos...: Unable to transfer an Album 300photos in Photos to burn to a DVD or disc How to Create a file folder to transfer the album to - or actually transfer the album so I could burn to a dvd...
  6. Re sequencing photos in an Album created in Windows 10 Photo App.

Re sequencing photos in an Album created in Windows 10 Photo App.: How can I resort photos in an Album created in Windows 10 Photo App ? When I try to click and drag a photo to a different location it just bounces back to its original location. Is there any way to move photos like you can in a file folder or like you could in the old Photo...
  7. photo albums

in Windows 10 Customization
    photo albums: I set up an album using windows 10 but when i display the album it only shows selected photos.how do you change the storyboard to include all the photos chosen? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photo-albums/7526ae66-5392-44b0-9ef7-c45d5a44fc34
  8. How to create a photo album

How to create a photo album: Create an album by opening 'Photos', select 'Create > Album'. Select the pictures you want to include, then select 'Create'. For more info click here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/tips/home/photo-basics#createalbumphotos [ATTACH]...
  9. how to stop windows from creating photo albums?

how to stop windows from creating photo albums?: Yesterday, I got a notification that windows has created a photo album for me. The thing is, I don't want windows doing that. At least on its own. If I want an album made, I'll make it. Is there a setting I can turn off?...
  10. Save Windows Photos Album As Folder (SOLVED)

Save Windows Photos Album As Folder (SOLVED): Ok so I have been looking everywhere for some questions to actually answer this but they are all locked. So I thought I would start a Discussion and Answer it all in one. LIke me many people have wondered how to save their Windows Photos Album they created in the "Photos"...