Windows 10: Is there a way to create bootable USB flash drive and use extra space

Discus and support Is there a way to create bootable USB flash drive and use extra space in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; @, Thank you. What is WinPESE? Is this the name of your Windows Environment with tools? Yes, that is the reference Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kyhi, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Kyhi Win User

Is there a way to create bootable USB flash drive and use extra space

Yes, that is the reference

Kyhi, Apr 4, 2018
  2. Nisko Win User

Hi! I have some 16GB flash drives that I would like to make bootable. From time-to-time, I will be updating the bootable apps. Since 16GB of space is far more than I need for these apps, and I hate to waste the extra space, is there a way to utilize that extra space without losing it every time I refresh the bootable portion? I ask this because, when making a bootable drive, I receive a warning that the entire drive will be reformatted. I could copy the non-bootable apps/files (all in their own folders, of course) to my hard drive, then copy them back - but I'm looking for an easier way to do this. Is partitioning the flash drive a way to do this? Some other way? Thank you.

:)

Nisko, Apr 25, 2018
  3. neilpzz Win User
    How to Reinstall Windows 10 Upgrade?

You can download the ISO image to your PC and then use other tools to create a bootable USB flash drive.

I had to use Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive, then copy the contents of the ISO to the drive. (it needs to be at least 4GB)How to Create a Bootable USB Drive Without Using Any Software

neilpzz, Apr 25, 2018
  4. Is there a way to create bootable USB flash drive and use extra space

Is there a way to use a USB drive to provide temporary storage for the WIndows 10 November update

You do need a minimum of 8 Gb free on the OS drive. Are you talking about HD space or memory? You seem to use them interchangeably.

Have you tried running a disk cleanup wizard (Including system files)? That may free up enough to install by itself expecially if there is a windows.old folder.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Apr 25, 2018
  5. SIW2 Win User
    You can partition it.

However iirc some flash creating tools e.g. the windows one will just reformat the entire thing anyway.

6. Try3 Win User
    Nisko,

It all depends on what you are putting on it.

I have a bootable ver 1709 installation USB.
    - It was originally Ver 1607
    - Before downloading a new version, I delete all the Windows installation files [I have my own files on it as well but I leave those as they are]
    - I download the ver 1709 ISO, mount it & drag all its contents onto the USB
    - Result - a ver 1709 installation USB
    - All this without having to reformat the USB and hence without disrupting my own files on it.

Whether or not you can do the same thing depends on what it is, what it boots for.

[some errors deleted] However, many applications that make bootable USBs [such as Macrium Reflect, Acronis TI, Paragon Backup, ...] will reformat the whole of the physical drive and destroy your partitioning so I do not see that as a long term solution.

So, as I wrote above, it all depends what you are trying to put on the USB. There are some comments in Other files on an OS usb drive? as well.

Denis

7. spunk Win User
    As stated, If you partition your Flash Drive, Windows will only recognize the first partition as either bootable or in Windows. If you are on Linux or on a Mac, the other partition (s) will show.
    Also as stated, you can add files to a Bootable USB drive in separate folders from the boot file. if you don't have an option to browse files on the USB then they will only be viewable via Command Prompt, if you have that on your boot drive.

spunk, Apr 25, 2018
  8. Anibor Win User

You can create the boot UFD, resize it to create unallocated space, create another NTFS partition in this space, and put your files in it.

To update the boot files, delete them, mount the new ISO image, copy the boot files, and paste them to the UFD boot partition.

Anibor, Apr 25, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    That all changed with the Creators Update, the first version of Windows that CAN create, see and use multiple partitions on a USB.

CU supports multiple partitions on a standard USB Flash Drive

10. Nisko Win User
    Thank you all for the information. Now, I know what I should do!

Nisko, Apr 26, 2018
  11. Try3 Win User
    Nisko - What is it that you are putting on this USB? Denis

12. Nisko Win User
    One thing would be something I keep updated: Windows 10 with all updates. Another thing is @Kyhi's repair tool ISO. A third thing is Macrium Reflect's Emergency Boot App. There might be one or more emergency apps when I'm through. I'm preparing a set of tools 1) In case I need them and can't boot into my PC and 2) to help anyone who asks for my help in repairing their PC.

Nisko, Apr 26, 2018
  13. Try3 Win User

Nisko,

So you are looking at a multi-boot USB. @Bree's link will help you with the Windows & Macrium. I do not know whether or not the same approach would allow you to incorporate Kyhi's repair tools.

Denis

14. Kyhi Win User
    You could just use one Type of bootable media - say Windows 10 Installation Media..
    Which boots the Boot.wim in the SOURCES folder
    then create a MACRIUM folder and place Marcium's Boot.wim in that folder
    then create a PESE folder and place the Rescue Media Boot.wim in that folder...

Now duplicate the current BCD entry (on USB) for the Windows 10 Setup
    then edit the Description and Location and point to the Marcium Folder
    Then repeat the process and point to the PESE folder..

Now when booting that USB Media you will be given 3 Options
    Windows Setup > from Sources folder
    Macrium > from Macrium folder
    Win10PESE > from PESE folder

Any extra USB Space can be used for your personal DATA folder and Files..

USB will have one Partition (Fat32) but as long as NO file is over 4GB you should be good..
    Formatting the USB will remove ALL the files..
    But you can replace the files on the USB, thus overwrite to update

15. Nisko Win User
    Thank you for the lead!

Nisko, Apr 27, 2018
Thema:

1. Is there a way to create bootable USB flash drive and use extra space - Similar Threads - create bootable USB

2. Creating a bootable flash drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating a bootable flash drive: Hello beautiful people I'm creating a bootable thumb drive because I have 2 new computers and one is having issues. So going by the answers in these forums I have been unsuccessful fixing the issues and the next on the list from here was to do this . My question is How long...
  3. Creating a bootable flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a bootable flash drive: Hello beautiful people I'm creating a bootable thumb drive because I have 2 new computers and one is having issues. So going by the answers in these forums I have been unsuccessful fixing the issues and the next on the list from here was to do this . My question is How long...
  4. Creating a bootable flash drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Is there a way to create multiple bootable flash drives at once

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to create multiple bootable flash drives at once: I was wondering if there is a way to burn windows 10 to multiple usb drives at the same time. The windows media creation tool only allows you to do one at a time, I've tried googling it but I'm unable to find any information. Do you know if there is a software that can do...
  6. Is there any way to create a bootable usb flash drive without using the download tool?

Is there any way to create a bootable usb flash drive without using the download tool?: i need to rescue my un-bootable Win10 x64 1909 Dell Inspiron, and the only other computer I have is a locked-down work laptop. Thanx for any help in advance. D...
  7. Create a bootable USB flash drive using Diskpart

Create a bootable USB flash drive using Diskpart: Hi, Its great to see the addition of Option 4 (Diskpart method) in the Create Bootable USB flash drive to install Windows 10 Tutorial . Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 There's an extra command directly after the clean command, "convert mbr". Is this...
  8. Create a bootable USB flash drive using Diskpart

in Windows 10 Support
    Create a bootable USB flash drive using Diskpart: Hi, Its great to see the addition of Option 4 (Diskpart method) in the Create Bootable USB flash drive to install Windows 10 Tutorial . Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 There's an extra command directly after the clean command, "convert mbr". Is this...
  9. Using Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive

Using Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive: Hi All, Ive decided to use Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive instead of using the Media Creation Tool to create the Windows 10 media. Im just going to use the Media Creation Tool to download the iso image and diskpart to prepare the flash drive. Are the following...
  10. Creating bootable USB 3.0 Flash Drive...

Creating bootable USB 3.0 Flash Drive...: I have followed instructions to create my own Windows 10 To Go flash drive. I have two suitable USB 3.0 flash drives: Corsair Voyager GTX and Super Talent RC4, both 128 GB versions. The Corsair Voyager GTX is not a certified Windows To Go drive, whereas the Super Talent...