Windows 10: Is there a way to find out if your Microsoft Windows quality update is a standalone or a...

Discus and support Is there a way to find out if your Microsoft Windows quality update is a standalone or a... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; We have devices where we have rolled out quality updates as a standalone but is there a way to identify whether it is standalone install or a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Izz_, Aug 17, 2022.

1. Izz_ Win User

Is there a way to find out if your Microsoft Windows quality update is a standalone or a...

We have devices where we have rolled out quality updates as a standalone but is there a way to identify whether it is standalone install or a cumulative update install on the device?The only way I've managed to identify this is by uninstalling the update, where it will rollback to previous version if cumulative or completely uninstall if a standalone.

:)

2. Microsoft Botches Up UEFI Support for Windows 7 on ASUS Motherboards

Is there a way to find out if your Microsoft Windows quality update is a standalone or a... [​IMG]

Microsoft suggests updating to Windows 10 to patch Windows 7
    • Tweet
    • Facebook
    • Google plus
    • Send to
    9 Comments

MICROSOFT HAS confirmed a potentially lappy-borking problem that it won't be fixing, because Windows 7.

Woody Leonhard, the respected Windows columnist, points to a problem involving Asus motherboards, which also appear rebadged in a variety of other manufacturers' machines, and the activation of UEFI Secure Boot for Windows 7 in a patch KB3133977.

Short version: install update, welcome to Borksville, population you.

Both Asus and Microsoft acknowledged the problem. Microsoft entitled the article "BitLocker can't encrypt drives because of service crashes in svchost.exe process in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2", but we prefer to just call it "Trevor for brevity."

The firm's advice was that it's an optional update, leave well alone, you'll be fine, or alternatively turn secure boot off.

Then Microsoft did a silly, silly thing.

It moved the update from 'optional' to 'recommended' and anyone who reads this site regularly will know what happens when Microsoft does this. That's right boys and girls - it makes it automatically install, unless you've specifically told your machine not to.

So now, if you have one of the affected motherboard and you keep your security updates automatic like wot Microsoft recommends, then your machine will stop working properly.

We should add it's not permanently bricked, but it will take some mucking about in the BIOS to fix and that's a pain even for an experienced computer user.

Microsoft has, by offering a workaround, suggested heavily that it won't be fixing the problem, though we have asked the question, so expect a response in about a fortnight.

But the real kicker is this piece of advice: "Note The Secure Boot feature is supported in Windows 10. To learn more about the security advantages of this feature and about the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10, go to the following Windows website"

Holy toledo, this company really knows how to rub people up the wrong way.

After all - if the advice is to manually avoid the update or move to a version of the operating system where there's virtually no control over updates, then Microsoft is dealing in massive contradictions.

A more cynical site would suggest that it's yet another example of Microsoft running Windows 7 into the ground and adding built in obsolescence to encourage quicker updates. But we're not that sort of site.

Its the patching to force secure boot that is the problem win 7 does not support secure boot
    hence it borks systems and well microsofts answer is Cactus >your Asshole > insert

from the inquirer

dorsetknob, Aug 17, 2022
  3. malware Win User
    Microsoft Prepares Update for Windows Home Server

Microsoft's Windows Home Server officially launched earlier this month, is already preparing to be updated. Microsoft says that the new update is "part of the ongoing process of continually enhancing the customer experience with Windows Home Server." The update includes a few feature additions for Windows Home Server. Currently, users who login to their server when away from their home network - through an external URL like https://yourname.homeserver.com - are greeted with a security warning. The November 27 update will now provide users with a trusted SSL certificate for their Windows Home Severs. The SSL certification was provided with the help of Windows Live Domains and GoDaddy. Other new features include a "Delete All" button to remove home computer backups. Microsoft has also taken steps to make the Shared Folders and Server Storage aspects of Windows Home Server more robust and user friendly.

Source: DailyTech

malware, Aug 17, 2022
  4. Is there a way to find out if your Microsoft Windows quality update is a standalone or a...

Microsoft signals end of Paint program

Microsoft has confirmed that it will continue to offer its graphics program Paint.

In a recent update, it had listed Paint as a feature that would be either removed or no longer developed.

Paint, renowned for its simplicity, has been part of the Windows operating system since its launch in 1985.

Microsoft suggested it would not remain on Windows 10 by default but did say it would be available for free on the Windows Store.

BBC news Report here
    Microsoft Paint avoids brush with death

dorsetknob, Aug 17, 2022
Thema:

Is there a way to find out if your Microsoft Windows quality update is a standalone or a...

1. Is there a way to find out if your Microsoft Windows quality update is a standalone or a... - Similar Threads - find Microsoft quality

2. Is there a way to find out your product key without cmd prompt or regedit?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to find out your product key without cmd prompt or regedit?: Hello, I put a new user profile on my computer for the kids to play on and I was trying to secure things so they couldn't mess my computer up and I did something to screw it up myself. I can still use the computer but a lot of my windows programs wont work. It comes back with...
  3. Is there a way to find out your product key without cmd prompt or regedit?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to find out your product key without cmd prompt or regedit?: Hello, I put a new user profile on my computer for the kids to play on and I was trying to secure things so they couldn't mess my computer up and I did something to screw it up myself. I can still use the computer but a lot of my windows programs wont work. It comes back with...
  4. Is there a way to find out if your Microsoft Windows quality update is a standalone or a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to find out if your Microsoft Windows quality update is a standalone or a...: We have devices where we have rolled out quality updates as a standalone but is there a way to identify whether it is standalone install or a cumulative update install on the device?The only way I've managed to identify this is by uninstalling the update, where it will...
  5. Is there a way to find out if your Microsoft Windows quality update is a standalone or a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to find out if your Microsoft Windows quality update is a standalone or a...: We have devices where we have rolled out quality updates as a standalone but is there a way to identify whether it is standalone install or a cumulative update install on the device?The only way I've managed to identify this is by uninstalling the update, where it will...
  6. Way to Find Your stolen Laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Way to Find Your stolen Laptop: Is there a way to monitor for a serial number of a device running on the Internet ? How does Find my device work and what is it searching for ? I ask these questions with regards to my laptop recently being stolen. Thanks for any help....
  7. Any way to find out what the updates are about?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any way to find out what the updates are about?: I'd like to know what the updates are for. Is there any way to find out? You'd think the notification feature in Windows 10 would tell you what the last update did or at least that your computer was restarted, but nothing there. submitted by /u/ConcentricGroove [link]...
  8. Windows Update Standalone Installer : The Update is not applicable to your computer.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update Standalone Installer : The Update is not applicable to your computer.: I get this when trying to manually install to the latest update (currently 1903) from 1803 (OS Build 17134.885). I've attempted to run the windows troubleshooter and it finds no errors. It does find an error about "registration" or something when I run the troubleshooter in...
  9. Windows Quality Update Greyed Out

Windows Quality Update Greyed Out: I have been able to successfully get automatic updates for Windows 10. I am currently using Version 1903. My system just did a Quality Update for KB4501375. When I looked at the Update History, that particular line item showed it was successfully updated today...
  10. Deleting Microsoft Update Standalone Packages

Deleting Microsoft Update Standalone Packages: I have upgraded to Win10 1809 and want to free up some disk space. Do I need the old MUSP installation packages that presently linger in my downloads folder?...