Windows 10: Is there a way to find the location of an open file?

Discus and support Is there a way to find the location of an open file? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm coming from the MacOS environment where I'd right click on the filename in the titlebar and it'd show me where the file I'm working on is currently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by janvin.lowe, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Is there a way to find the location of an open file?

I'm coming from the MacOS environment where I'd right click on the filename in the titlebar and it'd show me where the file I'm working on is currently saved. Is there a way to find that information in the Windows environment?

Thanks in advance for your response!

Janvin

Windows 10 Pro 19041.388

:)

janvin.lowe, Aug 11, 2020
  2. mystvearn Win User

Open file location is missing in pinned apps

Yes. This is the one. Weirdly it now shows all the recent files after update. Maybe that has something to do with it. I did not do anything at all.

Thank you again. I guess the problem is solved.

mystvearn, Aug 11, 2020
  3. Ketxxx Win User
    opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Aug 11, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

Is there a way to find the location of an open file?

Open file location is missing in pinned apps

No, that's not the sort of 'file location' the OP is referring to. Your 'file location' opens File Explorer at the location of the shortcut for that app in the Start Menu's Programs folder. The OP wants the list of recently opened files, or the Jump List as it is known (hover over each one and it shows its file location). Theirs is turned off (and yours by the looks of it).

Is there a way to find the location of an open file? [​IMG]

Thema:

Is there a way to find the location of an open file?

1. Is there a way to find the location of an open file? - Similar Threads - find location open

2. "Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..: I think the title sums up this annoying issue, but I'll elaborate anyway for the sake of clarity:When I right click on a program in the Start menu and click on "Open file location" it should, by right, open the location of the file, but it never does. It always opens the...
  3. "Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..: I think the title sums up this annoying issue, but I'll elaborate anyway for the sake of clarity:When I right click on a program in the Start menu and click on "Open file location" it should, by right, open the location of the file, but it never does. It always opens the...
  4. saving files and opening file location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    saving files and opening file location: Is it possible to open the file location automatically once saving a document in a file. Usually when i print to pdf something or save it to a file I need to locate it to use it eg. send in an email or drop in my google drive. ....
  5. saving files and opening file location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    saving files and opening file location: Is it possible to open the file location automatically once saving a document in a file. Usually when i download something or save it to a file I need to locate it to use it eg. send in an email or drop in my google drive. ....
  6. saving files and opening file location

saving files and opening file location: Is it possible to open the file location automatically once saving a document in a file. Usually when i download something or save it to a file I need to locate it to use it eg. send in an email or drop in my google drive. ....
  7. Open File Location?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Open File Location?: I've had Win 10 for a few months now and one thing I'd like to change is, when I do a Start button Search, and R click a result, I don't see the option to Open File Location. can I enable this somehow??...
  8. Cannot find file location

Cannot find file location: Help! I want to find the file location of a game on my PC, but it won't let me cos i do not have the permissions. i cannot configure the permissions to let me access the files. what do i do?...
  9. File Explorer "cannot find" location of file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer "cannot find" location of file: This problem started just a few days ago: The app has its icon on the task bar but now defaults to Windows can't locate file...?. I can go C:\Programs Files x86...; click on .exe and even then I get same error msg., I can execute same approach on any other app and it works...
  10. Open file location

in Windows 10 Support
    Open file location: When I select "Open file location" it opens the program folder. EDIT: The issue may be that I used "ProgramLocation\ProgramName" "FileLocation\FileName" to open the file because it is Excel and this prevents it opening in the same instance. EDIT 2: That is the problem,...