Windows 10: Is there a way to get network drive files to appear in Start menu search?

Discus and support Is there a way to get network drive files to appear in Start menu search? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have recently moved all my documents to a Synology NAS. I'm used to finding exactly what I need by quickly hitting Windows key and typing. However,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/sacrilegious, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Is there a way to get network drive files to appear in Start menu search?

I have recently moved all my documents to a Synology NAS. I'm used to finding exactly what I need by quickly hitting Windows key and typing. However, none of the NAS documents show up. I have the shared drives mapped as Network Drives in windows.

I can search for these files from within File Explorer but for my productivity and sanity, I would love to continue pulling up whatever file I need just by typing it out quickly from the Start menu. Any ideas?

Googling this has proved to be surprisingly useless

submitted by /u/sacrilegious
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/sacrilegious, Feb 25, 2020
  2. EstoGaza Win User

Searching from Start Menu won't find files on separate hard drive

I should have just been using classic shell all along. Thank you for your suggestion. My main problem with 3rd party programs was that I couldn't search directly from the taskbar. Classic shell allows me to do that, and the search results are way faster and easier to access. Cortana was a huge step back.

EstoGaza, Feb 25, 2020
  3. Programs on second hard drive on start menu

Hi. I have a 30GB SSD that contains only Win 7, Chrome, Mediamonkey, and a temp monitor.
    All the other programs are on a hard drive.

How can I make them appear under the program files on start menu and be searchable through the start menu?

Thanks!

squelchy451, Feb 25, 2020
  4. Is there a way to get network drive files to appear in Start menu search?

Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Feb 25, 2020
Thema:

Is there a way to get network drive files to appear in Start menu search?

1. Is there a way to get network drive files to appear in Start menu search? - Similar Threads - network drive files

2. Start menu type to search results window appearance

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu type to search results window appearance: I'm working on a new PC configuration for a touchscreen HMI with no external keyboard with Windows 10 LTSC. This is an hardware upgrade from a previous configuration of Windows 10 LTSB. My problem is when I hit the start button and begin typing example bringing up task...
  3. Start menu type to search results window appearance

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu type to search results window appearance: I'm working on a new PC configuration for a touchscreen HMI with no external keyboard with Windows 10 LTSC. This is an hardware upgrade from a previous configuration of Windows 10 LTSB. My problem is when I hit the start button and begin typing example bringing up task...
  4. Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search: When I start for Windows settings, such as personalisation, nothing appears. Additionally, shortcuts located in these two locations %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs will not appear in my search. What I...
  5. Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search

in Cortana
    Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search: When I start for Windows settings, such as personalisation, nothing appears. Additionally, shortcuts located in these two locations %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs will not appear in my search. What I...
  6. Not getting web results in Search or Start Menu search

in Cortana
    Not getting web results in Search or Start Menu search: Hi; on some Windows 10 installations (and indeed, even on my other user account), I get web search results when I press the Start key on my keyboard and then type into the search box. For example, "32 F in C" will yield 0° C. This isn't happening on one of my accounts. As...
  7. Links do not appear in start menu search

in Cortana
    Links do not appear in start menu search: I used to type the start menu entries as shortcut to open them. Windows just opened the search and offered me the right item. This does not work anymore (as it used to) The problem seems to be only with start menu entries (who are .lnk files), though it does offer me...
  8. Is there a way to make the Control panel appear in the start menu?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to make the Control panel appear in the start menu?: Good day all, I'm wondering if there is a way i can add Control Panel to my start menu in the same area where Settings is currently located. Thanks for your time. 38037
  9. Automatically search files in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Automatically search files in start menu: In Windows 7 I type xxxx.txt and it searches the file in the indexed files. In Windows 10 I have to type Find in Documents. How do I make it searches in my files without clicking a second time ? 9159
  10. Start Menu search not finding files

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu search not finding files: When I go to search for files (such as images/videos) through the Start Menu search (Cortana), files do not appear in results. The only way I can actually find these files is to manually click the "More" dropdown and select whichever file type it is (photos, videos, music...