Windows 10: Is there a way to have the windows 10 OS a separate partition after the installation of...

Discus and support Is there a way to have the windows 10 OS a separate partition after the installation of... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 when it was free. Back then I didn't know about partitions of hard disk space etc. So I did the default install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jonathan_Griffiths151, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Is there a way to have the windows 10 OS a separate partition after the installation of...

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 when it was free. Back then I didn't know about partitions of hard disk space etc. So I did the default install options. I now want to migrate the Windows 10 files from my hard drive to an SSD but don't have the partition of windows 10 OS files to do so ,without migrating the rest of my files. This would result in 900GB trying to fit into a 120GB SSD. I know Windows 10 couldn't possibly be 900GB so I'm asking if there is a way to move the windows files or even reinstall the windows 10 files so that it is in a separate disk space that can be migrated to an SSD.

:)

Jonathan_Griffiths151, Jun 8, 2019
  2. Carsomyr Win User

Partition SSD during windows 10 install

I'm assembling a new PC and running a fresh windows 10 install. I'd like to know how to partition the ssd into 2 separate partitions during the windows install (I'm using a bootable usb drive to install Windows).

I want to know if I need to input specific settings for those partitions or if it's all automatic?

I need one partition for Windows on and another for my documents. The ssd has 960gb size.

So I'm guessing it has about 60gb over-provisionning. I could leave out a bit more, but it probably doesn't matter that much

Carsomyr, Jun 8, 2019
  3. RejZoR Win User
    Windows 10 clean install mess up partitions?

No. I have such setup since Windows XP and it works great. 50GB chuck of drive is reserved for system partition and data partition is the remaining disk size. When installing new OS, I just delete the first partition, recreate new one and install OS. System is installed clean each time and all the existing data remains where it was, on the secondary data partition. This way you can change systems in matter of hours without any fiddling with your stored data.

RejZoR, Jun 8, 2019
  4. Scrizz Win User

Is there a way to have the windows 10 OS a separate partition after the installation of...

Windows 10

no, you can't go back..
    I suggest creating a backup image of your os drive

Scrizz, Jun 8, 2019
Thema:

Is there a way to have the windows 10 OS a separate partition after the installation of...

1. Is there a way to have the windows 10 OS a separate partition after the installation of... - Similar Threads - separate partition installation

2. Create a seperate partition for the OS after it's already installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create a seperate partition for the OS after it's already installed: I have installed windows 10 on my old SSD, but it isn't in a seperate partition form all my regular data. I now have two SSD's in my pc and I want to move only the OS to my new SSD and keep the rest of my data on the old disk.I know that you can create a partition to store...
  3. Create a seperate partition for the OS after it's already installed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create a seperate partition for the OS after it's already installed: I have installed windows 10 on my old SSD, but it isn't in a seperate partition form all my regular data. I now have two SSD's in my pc and I want to move only the OS to my new SSD and keep the rest of my data on the old disk.I know that you can create a partition to store...
  4. Create a seperate partition for the OS after it's already installed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Installed a second windows 10 os on the same partition

in Windows 10 Customization
    Installed a second windows 10 os on the same partition: I mistakenly installed a second windows 10 os on the same partition and now my laptop cannot boot into windows. I want to get rid of both of them and reinstall windows 10. What do I do?...
  6. Will Windows 11 be a separate OS or a part of Windows 10 updates? If separate can Windows...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will Windows 11 be a separate OS or a part of Windows 10 updates? If separate can Windows...: Will Windows 11 be a separate OS or a part of Windows 10 updates? If separate can Windows 10 users upgrade to Windows 11 for free? And will there be the N&I Button in Windows 11?My details are: Windows 10Version 19043.1053 Updating my PC to the latest ver....Insider Beta...
  7. Change MBR partition to GPT, OS and MBR on separate disks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change MBR partition to GPT, OS and MBR on separate disks: I'm trying to convert my MBR partition (which is on an HDD) to a GPT-based boot record, but my OS install is on an SSD (i.e. a different drive than the MBR). I'm not exactly sure how this happened when I was installing Windows; I think the HDD was set as disk 0 while the SSD...
  8. Is it common not to have separate partition for system ?

Is it common not to have separate partition for system ?: I was looking into a friends Toshiba laptop because he wants to replace his HDD with SSD . I noticed that he does not have a separate partition for System . Is this common ? [img] Also he has a lot of unused partitions in front and after the C drive. How best to clone...
  9. Install Windows 7 on a separate partition

Install Windows 7 on a separate partition: Hello, I have an existing Windows 10 PC. I have a 1TB hard drive, and I want to make a partition and install Windows 7 on that partition. Microsoft says that installing the older operating system last can "render your system inoperable", so I'm not sure. Obviously, Windows 10...
  10. Moving Windows installation to a separate partition

Moving Windows installation to a separate partition: How can I separate my Windows installation files and put them in a separate partition (And leave some room for updates if necessary), or instead leave it where it is, but move the rest to a separate one? Right now everything is on C:\ and I want the installation part to maybe...