Windows 10: Is there a way to mount the Win10 ISO in a USB flash disk?

Discus and support Is there a way to mount the Win10 ISO in a USB flash disk? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; submitted by /u/Xusa [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i75oza/is_there_a_way_to_mount_the_win10_iso_in_a_usb/ Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Xusa, Aug 10, 2020.

1. /u/Xusa Win User

Is there a way to mount the Win10 ISO in a USB flash disk?

/u/Xusa, Aug 10, 2020
  2. Ztruker Win User

Failed Media Creation Tool attempt at bootable USB flash drive

Shawn, these are the steps being referred to that NavyLCDR posted. They work for both UEFI and MBR.

Here are the steps to create a standard Windows 10 USB flash drive:

1. Use the Media Creation Tool to download and save the ISO file to your hard drive.
    2. Insert the USB flash drive.
    3. Open a Administrator Command Prompt and enter: diskpart (if it isn't an administrator command prompt, it will ask for administrator permission).
    4. list disk
    5. select disk # <- replace # with the actual disk number of the USB flash drive
    6. clean <- this will erase the disk selected above, make sure you selected the USB flash drive!
    7. create part pri
    8. format fs=fat32 quick
    9. active
    10. exit
    11. exit - and if the first Command Prompt was not an Administrator Command Prompt, exit that one too.
    11. Mount the ISO file saved by the Media Creation Tool. If you are using Windows 8 or 10, you only have to right click on it and click on mount. If you are using Windows 7, then you must use a program like WinCDEmu to mount the ISO file:
    WinCDEmu - the easiest way to mount an ISO. And more...
    12. Copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive.

That's as simple as it gets. Between steps 7 and 8 you can enter: "select part 1" without quotes - but it should not be necessary.
    Between steps 8 and 9 you can enter: "assign" without quotes - but it should not be necessary.

Ztruker, Aug 10, 2020
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    Query for others who use Rufus to create a bootable Win10 flash drive

I don't think that quote was from me in the tutorial. What you quoted was if you create your own customized ISO file. You can disregard the line about preparing your custom image and saving it to the USB flash drive. Here are the simple steps to create a standard Windows 10 USB flash drive:

1. Use the Media Creation Tool to download and save the ISO file to your hard drive.
    2. Insert the USB flash drive.
    3. Open a Command Prompt and enter: diskpart (if it isn't an administrator command prompt, it will ask for administrator permission).
    4. list disk
    5. select disk # <- replace # with the actual disk number of the USB flash drive
    6. clean <- this will erase the disk selected above, make sure it is the USB flash drive!
    7. create part pri
    8. format fs=fat32 quick
    9. active
    10. exit <enter> exit <enter> - and if the first command prompt was not an administrator command prompt, exit that one too.
    11. Mount the ISO file saved by the Media Creation Tool. If you are using Windows 8 or 10, you only have to right click on it and click on mount. If you are using Windows 7, then you must use a program like WinCDEmu to mount the ISO file:
    WinCDEmu - the easiest way to mount an ISO. And more...
    12. Copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive.

That's as simple as it gets. Between steps 7 and 8 you can enter: "select part 1" without quotes - but it should not be necessary.
    Between steps 8 and 9 you can enter: "assign" without quotes - but it should not be necessary.

NavyLCDR, Aug 10, 2020
  4. Ztruker Win User

Query for others who use Rufus to create a bootable Win10 flash drive

Finally got a chance to test the flash drive I made using the above steps and it works a treat!
    This is what my F12 boot menu looks like with the flash drive inserted. I have a Lenovo K450E UEFI/GPT system:

Is there a way to mount the Win10 ISO in a USB flash disk? [​IMG]

Ztruker, Aug 10, 2020
Thema:

1. Is there a way to mount the Win10 ISO in a USB flash disk? - Similar Threads - mount Win10 ISO

2. Win10 ISO USB IS NOT seen?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 ISO USB IS NOT seen?: I work for a local charity and we are gradually going up to Windows 11 on new hardware inorder to meet MS intel processor greater than 8th generation. Quite a cost to us with our 50+ laptops and desktops as a charity. I am now as a volunteer rebuilding them with Win10 before...
  3. Win10 ISO USB IS NOT seen?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 ISO USB IS NOT seen?: I work for a local charity and we are gradually going up to Windows 11 on new hardware inorder to meet MS intel processor greater than 8th generation. Quite a cost to us with our 50+ laptops and desktops as a charity. I am now as a volunteer rebuilding them with Win10 before...
  4. Win10 ISO USB IS NOT seen?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. USB Flash Drives not mounting.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Flash Drives not mounting.: USB Flash Drives are being assigned drive letters but not mounting and can't be seen in Windows File Explorer. Here is log for the drive.Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/ConfigurationSource: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP Date: 8/10/2021 11:33:56 AM Event ID: 442 Task...
  6. Mounting USB device as disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mounting USB device as disk: Hello, I have a smartcitizen kit https://smartcitizen.me/and want to update the firmware. Unfortunately it isn't shown as a disk. Is there a possibility to mount the device as disk? [ATTACH]It is listed under bluetooth and other devices...
  7. Checking Win10 version from a mounted ISO file?

in Windows 10 Support
    Checking Win10 version from a mounted ISO file?: II have an ISO file just called Windows10.ISO and it is mounted with the Windows 10 installation files including the INSTALL.ESD but I have no idea which version it is. How can I tell if it is version 1909? 149770
  8. Iso file mounting

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Iso file mounting: I want to know if you can delete the ISO File right after you mount it, does it keep mounted? Because I am having low space in my driver and I want to install this app, but the size is bigger than my available space so that's why. 144282
  9. Mount DVD ISO

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mount DVD ISO: Hey guys, I have a copy of Battle for Middle Earth and I want to be able to play it without the disc since I have no optical drive. Currently I use an external optical drive every time I want to play but it's becoming quite a hassle. I've searched for a long time trying to...
  10. Mounting ISO file

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Mounting ISO file: I just recently updated from windows 7 to windows 10 I use ISO files regularly and need to get this fixed. I am unable to mount any iso files or even run and iso mounting software. I keep reading that all i have to do is select the file and i should be given the option either...