Windows 10: Is there a way to mute my mic for specific applications?

Discus and support Is there a way to mute my mic for specific applications? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; For example if I want to only mute my mic for Firefox but not for Discord,so that people can't hear me in the homeschooling session but I can still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Toadfield, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Is there a way to mute my mic for specific applications?

For example if I want to only mute my mic for Firefox but not for Discord,so that people can't hear me in the homeschooling session but I can still talk with my friends on discord.

Is that possible on Windows? Cause you can do that on Linux.

submitted by /u/Toadfield
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Toadfield, Jul 17, 2021
  2. WBT
    WBT Win User

Is there an easy way to tell if my mic is really muted?

I have a Dell computer running Windows 10, which I often use for Skype and other teleconference collaboration. Sometimes, these are large calls and it's very important for participants to mute ourselves when not speaking, or else background noise can overwhelm the main speaker. In some cases, external events can produce embarrassing moments for someone who's unintentionally failed to mute.

My computer has a keyboard with a Fn button for mute (Fn+F4), and that F4 button has a small LED indicator light (like the one on Caps Lock) which theoretically indicates when the mic is muted.

Usually, if that light is on, I am on mute and applications should not be able to listen in on what's happening in my environment. Skype says "your mic is muted from your desktop" and things function as intended.

However, on a recent call, the mute light was on but everybody could still hear me speaking just fine, and activating/deactivating the mute function using the Fn key did not seem to correlate as it should to actually being on mute.

Is there an easy way to see with greater confidence whether or not my mic is on mute from a system perspective, for example via an icon in the system tray? There's one there showing me if my speakers are muted. (Or, is there a way to make that keyboard mute indicator light more reliable?) This is independent of any mute controls specifically within an application or browser window, and should visualize the system-wide mute control.

This question refers to microphones built into the computer; I have no peripheral mics or peripheral webcams/other microphone-containing devices plugged in.

3. bentrader Win User
    How can I mute my mic from desktop

I have no mic icon or means to mute from desktop. I don't understand why there are keys and icons for speakers but no way to mute or adjust mic. I have heard of third party down loads that will allow this but I don't trust third party software. Any suggestions?

bentrader, Jul 17, 2021
  4. Junaid_A Win User

Is there a way to mute my mic for specific applications?

Muted mic picking up sound in game

Hi JonPaul,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The issue could be because of the internal mic picking up sound even when the external device is pluuged in. If you have the RealTek HD Audi Manager installed on the machine, I would suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works for
    you.

• Open RealTek HD Audio Manager and go to the
      Advanced tab.
    • Check the boxes Separate all input jacks as independent input devices
      and Mute the internal output device, when external headphone is plugged in,
      and hit OK.
    • Exit RealTek HD Audio Manager, restart the machine and see if the issue persists.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jul 17, 2021
Thema:

Is there a way to mute my mic for specific applications?

1. Is there a way to mute my mic for specific applications? - Similar Threads - mute mic specific

2. Windows 11 will not mute specific applications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 will not mute specific applications: Hi - title says it all, and you shouldn't need any other information about my system to answer this. Based on this post - - I tried the following suggested steps:1. restart the application:Sometimes, the volume settings in Volume Mixer may not take effect immediately. Try...
  3. Windows 11 will not mute specific applications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 will not mute specific applications: Hi - title says it all, and you shouldn't need any other information about my system to answer this. Based on this post - - I tried the following suggested steps:1. restart the application:Sometimes, the volume settings in Volume Mixer may not take effect immediately. Try...
  4. Mic is self muting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mic is self muting: Hello, my microphone is self muting in control panel after a some time of inactivity https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mic-is-self-muting/10358e04-1681-413e-962a-308122d828f8
  5. Shortcut to mute specific app.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shortcut to mute specific app.: While I'm in zoom meetings I frequently find myself wanting to mute the app audio so that I'm able to hear audio from another app. I right click on speakers icon, open mixer and mute ZOOM. But because I do it so frequently I would like to know if I can assign a shortcut or...
  6. My Mic won’t mute

My Mic won’t mute: My headset has a button on the side that I have been using to mute myself during discord calls and such but for the past two days it hasn’t been working. I tried a different headset to see if there was a problem with the headset but I am still having the same issues how can I...
  7. Mic muted by the system

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mic muted by the system: I have been having issues with my mic. When I go to unmute, it will say "Mic muted by your systems settings". I have have tried many things, included allowing mic, resetting bits of my system. And suport, which led me here after that system could not fix it either. Please...
  8. Mic becoming mute

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Mic becoming mute: In Zoom meeting, my Mic becomes mute while one of attendees is speaking. I am using Logitech C922 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mic-becoming-mute/2c3ba621-7a7f-415c-b440-38688a0932e3
  9. A way to forcebind an application to specific network interface?

A way to forcebind an application to specific network interface?: If anyone knows a way? I found "forcebind" program but dunno if it works with windows 10? and i cant find how you UNbind if u make a mistake(?) Thanks submitted by /u/user_982396 [link] [comments]...
  10. Windows Mutes Mic

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Mutes Mic: I FIXED it!! It is in Windows 10 speech recognition settings. It needs to be set to your audio device. Mine is an Asus Xonar. Path. Control Panel\Ease of Access\Speech Recognition. At the bottom is Advanced. Than you will see Audio Input Devices. Use this. Select. Done....