Windows 10: Is there a way to only use an SSD as a boot drive and install everything else on my HDD?

Discus and support Is there a way to only use an SSD as a boot drive and install everything else on my HDD? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I've looked around and didn't seem to find a solution to this issue. I'm about to reinstall my Windows completly (clean install) and all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/LordDrakota, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Is there a way to only use an SSD as a boot drive and install everything else on my HDD?

Hi everyone,

I've looked around and didn't seem to find a solution to this issue. I'm about to reinstall my Windows completly (clean install) and all the answers were with a current install how to move stuff to the hard drive.

On Linux, I can assign a /boot mountpoint to a partition or a drive and have a /home mountpoint on something else. I know all my files will be in their spaces.

When I tried installing Windows, it didn't offer me to move my Users folder or Program Files to another drive. What I want is that my SSD will only contain Windows specific files to improve Windows's performance and everything else on my HDD.

How can I do that from the beginning (in the installation menu) and not have to mess with moving things post-install.

Thanks

submitted by /u/LordDrakota
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/LordDrakota, Sep 20, 2020

2. SSD Drive as Boot Drive and HDD Drive as Storage, how do I do it?

Remove the HDD. Install Windows on SSD. Then insert the HDD. Now SSD should be your boot drive with HDD as a storage drive.

If Windows doesn't boot,

1) Check Boot priority in BIOS and set your SSD on top of the list.

2) If still doesn't work, then create a 200MB Fat32 partition on the HDD(call it whatever you want) then boot into the windows 10 installer via a usb, launch command prompt with SHIFT + F10 and run the following:

bcdboot C:\Windows /l en-en /s B: /f UEFI

where B: is the drive letter for the 200MB partition (it could be any other drive letter for you).

Note: the drive letter with windows could be different, so either poke around command prompt to find out or launch DISKPART and run show volumes to find the partition.

The only downside to this solution is that if the HDD fails you lose boot capabilities. To get around this you could create a ISO of the 200mb boot drive and upload it for safe keeping and burn it to a usb flash disk in case of emergencies.

Source: ENVY 15t-j000 mSATA SSD + HDD fresh install, with mSATA as boot
    drive

Harsimran17, Sep 20, 2020
  3. Controlling BOOT drive after installing SSD with second HDD still onboard

I installed a Samsung 850EVO SSD on a Lenovo H50 desktop with WIN10, 1TB WD HDD, 12g Ram, 2g Nvdia gpu.

After a lot of learning about WIN not allowing HDD to be mirrored fully - no Boot. I disconnected HDD, booted from flash drive, reinstalled WIN10 on SSD and it became the boot drive. Upon reconnecting my HDD, it wants to take over as boot drive again.

I repeated the above. Wiped the HDD. Though disc restore repartitioned drive to original condition, it is for now, the data D: drive with primary and recover partitions, but not the Boot.

Is there a way to ensure it my SSD C: on Target 0 remains boot?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff C. Allen, Sep 20, 2020
  4. Neox99 Win User

Is there a way to only use an SSD as a boot drive and install everything else on my HDD?

Changing Boot Drive from HDD to SSD

Trying to understand here.

Do you have Win-10 installed on a HDD and on a SSD?

If so are you asking how to get your system to boot from the SSD opposed the HDD?

If you don't get an option of seeing a boot option at the beginning of the BIOS process {mine is to press ESC to see boot menu] check with the manufacturer. There HAS to be a key which does that.

Another possibility is: If both drives are SATA just switch the cables and reboot.

Check your Configuration file and see if 2 OSs are listed.

As you can see here, I have mine set to dual-boot. Win-10 on a HDD and Win-7 on a SSD.

Is there a way to only use an SSD as a boot drive and install everything else on my HDD? 9de35259-1592-4229-ac9e-131e1cbf3fba.jpg

Neox99, Sep 20, 2020
Thema:

Is there a way to only use an SSD as a boot drive and install everything else on my HDD?

1. Is there a way to only use an SSD as a boot drive and install everything else on my HDD? - Similar Threads - SSD boot drive

2. SSD & HDD installed drives not visible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD & HDD installed drives not visible: Hi All,SSD & HDD installed drives not visible after checked windows update and re-plugged wifi usb. and my microsoftware is Windows Feature Experience Pack. please suggest me how to get SSD & HDD back. and after clicked on shutdown it is taking more than 2 to 3min to getting...
  3. SSD & HDD installed drives not visible

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD & HDD installed drives not visible: Hi All,SSD & HDD installed drives not visible after checked windows update and re-plugged wifi usb. and my microsoftware is Windows Feature Experience Pack. please suggest me how to get SSD & HDD back. and after clicked on shutdown it is taking more than 2 to 3min to getting...
  4. How to install Windows on SSD and everything else on HDD

in Windows 10 News
    How to install Windows on SSD and everything else on HDD: [IMG]This post will show you how to install Windows on SSD and everything else on HDD. Since SSDs offer significantly faster performance than traditional HDDs, installing the Windows operating system on an SSD is advantageous. Doing so will result in faster game launches and...
  5. Transfer Windows from hdd to ssd and keep everything else on hdd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Transfer Windows from hdd to ssd and keep everything else on hdd: I need help as i want to buy a ssd but i don't really know the procedure on how to transfer Windows and keep everything else on hdd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-windows-from-hdd-to-ssd-and-keep/a6c29489-71f8-43ce-8289-71c435366658
  6. How can I keep OS on the SSD and everything else on the HDD including future installs,...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I keep OS on the SSD and everything else on the HDD including future installs,...: currently have a laptop with windows installed on the C drive which is the SSD but everything else also installs onto the SSD. Id much rather have only the OS installed on the SSD and everything else to be on the D drive HDD. at the minute everything automatically...
  7. Is there a way to make a drive only a boot drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to make a drive only a boot drive?: I have a 60gb ssd that I use for boot, but it probably can't fit any programs, so I'm looking for a way to keep it a boot drive, and not the default drive for all programs. Is that possible? Thanks in advance submitted by /u/TostiWee [link] [comments]...
  8. Boot drive is on SSD, but System drive is detected on the HDD (only 1 OS is installed)

Boot drive is on SSD, but System drive is detected on the HDD (only 1 OS is installed): I have Windows installed on an SSD, but as shown, the system drive is the HDD. This happened after I dual-booted windows and linux (with linux being on a partition on the HDD) and then removed the linux partition all together. This resulted to an inability to boot into...
  9. Boot files installing on HDD not SSD

Boot files installing on HDD not SSD: I wanted to make a clean installation of windows and format my ssd but didnt have a cd/usb to use. So I created a 12gb partition on my hdd and put the windows files on it from the ISO. After installation however, windows is installed on the ssd but the same partition I used...
  10. SSD as boot drive and HDD as storage drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD as boot drive and HDD as storage drive: I've researched high and low for a simple solution. I remember doing this on windows 7 with a registry hack back in the day, and it worked flawlessly. This is what I would like to do. I have a 500 gig SSD and a 1TB HDD. I would like all 600 gigs of user data to be on the HDD...