Windows 10: Is there a way to programmatically determine which device triggers a Windows Update?

Discus and support Is there a way to programmatically determine which device triggers a Windows Update? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello - Is there an API or registry entry that supports finding the device that triggers a Windows driver update? What I would hope to find is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rcohn53, Apr 18, 2021.

1. rcohn53 Win User

Is there a way to programmatically determine which device triggers a Windows Update?

Hello -

Is there an API or registry entry that supports finding the device that triggers a Windows driver update?

What I would hope to find is a VID/PID corresponding to the device matched by the Windows Update matching algorithm.

Thank you.

:)

rcohn53, Apr 18, 2021
  2. sygnus21 Win User

method to determine exactly what caused a particular update?

Two suggested articles from Microsoft....

Whether you find the exact cause will determine the level of troubleshooting you go through.

sygnus21, Apr 18, 2021
  3. ddelo Win User
    Determine the HDA Realtek driver needed for your Audio

First post updated:
    1. PowerShell script has been updated to version 1.2 (see Release Notes) and
    2. Added a new script to Check Audio device compatibility with an HDA Realtek driver
    Any comments and/or suggestions are most welcome!

HTH. *Smile
    Dimitri

ddelo, Apr 18, 2021
  4. Is there a way to programmatically determine which device triggers a Windows Update?

Vista Pre-SP1 vs. Vista SP1

I've been Windows Updating for two straight days and I finally saw SP1. If you want to troubleshoot it, follow these steps:

• Show hidden updates
    • Manually install any failed updates (google the KB_____ and install from the windows site)
    • Make sure everything in Device Manager is good to go
    I had to do step two for like 4 or 5 updates to be able to see SP1.

Any other benchmarks you guys want to see? I might try PCMark05 (I think it works on Vista).

DanishDevil, Apr 18, 2021
Thema:

Is there a way to programmatically determine which device triggers a Windows Update?

1. Is there a way to programmatically determine which device triggers a Windows Update? - Similar Threads - programmatically determine device

2. Is there a way to change the triggers for MRU lists?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to change the triggers for MRU lists?: I use the Recent Folders list in Explorer a lot but it doesn't add folders until I've done the right thing to trigger Windows to add the folder to the list. Is there any way to change the triggers? I've checked all the settings, but is there a programming way to do it?...
  3. Code 33, Windows cannot determine which resources are required for this device

in Windows 10 News
    Code 33, Windows cannot determine which resources are required for this device: [IMG]Some Windows users reported that they get Error Code 33 as Windows cannot determine which resources are required for this device in Device Manager. This Device Manager Error Code means the BIOS translator that determines the kind of resources required by the device has...
  4. How to determine why Startup Repair is triggered

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to determine why Startup Repair is triggered: My Windows 10 device seems to sporadically go into "Preparing Startup Repair" on boot. I can often get back to a proper boot just by restarting, but then next time I restart the device it does it again.So I'm trying to diagnose what prompts Windows to begin "Startup Repair"...
  5. Which service is triggering Event 4264?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Which service is triggering Event 4264?: I have a Windows 10 PC, prebuilt from an OEM with no unusual hardware, that has had a persistent problem. A few times a day the PC will 'stutter' or hang for 2-3 seconds. Video and Audio will freeze, then a few seconds later it will catch up. Occasionally DWM will crash and...
  6. Is there a way to tell which program triggered an alert sound?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a way to tell which program triggered an alert sound?: I am getting alert sounds occasionally that I cannot identify the source of. Is there a way to see what program triggered the sound? There is no corresponding Notification Area message. I am on Win 10 20H2 but this was true on previous builds also....
  7. Best Way For Determining Activation Status

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Best Way For Determining Activation Status: What is the best way for determining the activation status of a Win Ten 1909 installation? I know that winver is one way but is there a better way? Thanks, in advance, for guidance and/or pointers to an appropriate tutorial. 149298
  8. Determining which programs are updating behind the scenes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Determining which programs are updating behind the scenes: How do I determine if some of the underlying programs are updating "behind the scenes"? I am on metered data usage and need to control this occurrence. Naturally there are hundreds of files on the HP laptop I am referring to....
  9. How to determine the way I want to receive Updates on windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to determine the way I want to receive Updates on windows 10: I have windows 10 Home and the updates are downloaded and installed without any action from me. I know I can delay the installations, bit I would like to be able to decide wich updates I download and install 16776
  10. Is there way to programmatically add folders to Windows10 Quick Access

in Windows 10 Support
    Is there way to programmatically add folders to Windows10 Quick Access: I am running windows 10 pro I would like to add folders to quick access using a script. Using powershell, cmd, wmi etc. I know that I can access quick access by using from the run prompt shell:::{679F85CB-0220-4080-B29B-5540CC05AAB6} to take me to quick access. I have...