Windows 10: Is there a way to recover a Windows 10 Product Key if Windows won't start?

Discus and support Is there a way to recover a Windows 10 Product Key if Windows won't start? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello Everyone, Before I ask the question, here's the situation: I'm trying to help out a work colleauge whose personal laptop, a Toshiba Satelite... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TJLewis, Dec 10, 2019.

1. TJLewis Win User

Is there a way to recover a Windows 10 Product Key if Windows won't start?

Hello Everyone,

Before I ask the question, here's the situation:

I'm trying to help out a work colleauge whose personal laptop, a Toshiba Satelite that began life with Windows 8 (Sorry, it's not with me as I type this, so I can't be more specific than that), is not currently able to start Windows 10. It keeps booting to the Windows Recovery Environment and none of the recovery options therein seem to be able to fix the problem.

I've also tried using the bootrec /fixmbr and bootrec /fixboot commands in the Recovery Environment Command Prompt. Although they report that the operations complete successfully, the laptop is still constantly booting to the Windows Recovery Environment.

What I have been able to do is boot the laptop with a Linux Mint Live DVD. So the plan (thus far) is, when my colleauge is able to get some sort of USB Memory Stick or a USB Hard Drive, we'll boot the laptop into Linux Mint, so she can move her data over to said USB device and then attempt a "clean" install of Windows 10 with an installation DVD I have previously made using the Media Creation Tool (Build 1909). We downloaded all the drivers for it from Toshiba's website (although they only seem to supply Windows 8 drivers for this particular model), and burnt them to a CDR.

I have done this kind of restore before with a relative's laptop that had a simelar problem (we were able to trace that back to a Windows Update problem), but I'm a bit nervous able this particular laptop as, unlike my relative's laptop, I do not know the full history of my colleague's laptop beyond that it began life with Windows 8 and was upgraded to Windows 10 (i.e. I don't know HOW it was upgraded to Windows 10. Using the free upgrade offer? Did she / someone she knows buy a Windows 10 licence for her? I have no idea (and she doesn't seem to recall.)).

For this reason, before any wiping of the hard drive occurs, I would like to know the Product Key for Windows 10. I know, I know... I shouldn't need it to get Windows 10 up and running (I didn't need it when I restored my relative's laptop, and that also started life with Windows 8.) but as I say, I don't know the full history of my colleauge's laptop.

The other issue is, when I do a clean install of Windows 10 on my colleauge's laptop, I won't have internet access, so am not sure if I'll be able to activate Windows 10 over the phone.

My greatest fear is that I'm going to leave her with a laptop where Windows cannot be activated... which is what prompts me to ask the following question:

Given that Windows 10 will not start on this laptop, does anyone know of a way (either using the Windows Recovery Environment or Linux Mint) where I could recover the Product Key for Windows 10?

Any advice / reassurance anyone can give me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

:)

TJLewis, Dec 10, 2019

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Dec 10, 2019
  3. windows 10 key

Thanks but I don't want to do any decrypting. I want to download a Win 10 ISO from Microsoft and install it using my Win 8 key. No other steps required. Is that possible?

Easy Rhino, Dec 10, 2019
  4. Is there a way to recover a Windows 10 Product Key if Windows won't start?

windows 10 key

Now that I have finally upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 will my Windows 8 key work with a fresh install of Windows 10?

Easy Rhino, Dec 10, 2019
Thema:

Is there a way to recover a Windows 10 Product Key if Windows won't start?

1. Is there a way to recover a Windows 10 Product Key if Windows won't start? - Similar Threads - recover Product Key

2. Recover Windows product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recover Windows product key: Hi dears!In February 2022 I bought a new laptop - Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme with Windows 10 Pro on board.After some problems with OS performance I reinstalled Windows 10 Pro and now I need my old product key to reactivate it.Can you help me?Thank you in advance!Device name...
  3. Recover Windows product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recover Windows product key: Hi dears!In February 2022 I bought a new laptop - Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme with Windows 10 Pro on board.After some problems with OS performance I reinstalled Windows 10 Pro and now I need my old product key to reactivate it.Can you help me?Thank you in advance!Device name...
  4. Recover Windows Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover Windows Product Key: Hi guys,I bought a Gaming PC with Windows 10 installed on it. A few months ago I decided to install a Linux distribution and erase Windows 10 from scratch. If I wanted to uninstall a Linux distribution and install Windows 10 again, how could I recover the product key that was...
  5. Recover Windows Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recover Windows Product Key: Hi guys,I bought a Gaming PC with Windows 10 installed on it. A few months ago I decided to install a Linux distribution and erase Windows 10 from scratch. If I wanted to uninstall a Linux distribution and install Windows 10 again, how could I recover the product key that was...
  6. Recover Windows Product Key

7. Recover Windows product key

Recover Windows product key: I am trying to install Windows 8 to a different hard drive, because my drive C have been giving me a lot of blue screen of death while gaming. I am installing it to my D drive the setup process keep asking me to type in product key with no other option the product key on my...
  8. Recovering Windows Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Recovering Windows Product Key: I have a laptop that had broke and I had windows 10 installed on it. I was wondering if I would be able to get the key from anywhere or if its just lost. If someone could help that would be great....
  9. Recovering windows 10 product key?

Recovering windows 10 product key?: A few months ago, my desktops' hard drive suffered a catastrophic failure. I am dumb, and I never made a recovery disc, and I cannot find the paperwork that came with my computer. I did, however, have my microsoft account linked to that computer, by which I mean I had to use...
  10. Recover Windows 10 Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Recover Windows 10 Product Key: Good morning. A few years ago I bought a new computer to my father with W7 Home Premium. A few months later, I upgraded it to W10 with the free upgrade that Microsoft offered; but I didn't copy the W10 Product Key. A few weeks ago the computer's hard drive crashed...