Windows 10: Is there a way to renumber a display's identity number?

Discus and support Is there a way to renumber a display's identity number? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Long story short, if I connect my main monitor to the DP port #1 on the graphics card it would show up in Windows as Display #3 and I would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/tonynca, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Is there a way to renumber a display's identity number?

Is there a way to renumber a display's identity number? 14oaPMo6jR2NGJ0PqB_HF3puiXzdwfNKPMuiGNR2JbQ.jpg

Long story short, if I connect my main monitor to the DP port #1 on the graphics card it would show up in Windows as Display #3 and I would experience this weird issue where I would lose my multi-monitor configuration settings upon restart. In order to remedy the issue, I switched my main display to DP port #3 on the graphics card but the new issue is now when I turn on my computer, the BIOS screen would show up on the secondary monitor instead of the main display since it's connected to DP port #1.

It appears that Windows swapped 1 and 3 around. Is there a way for me to renumber the display identity?

I tried this already but it did not work: https://superuser.com/questions/1455322/windows-10-change-display-numbers-identity

I think Windows thinks DP port #1 is actually #3 and they swapped it. It is not monitor dependent but rather port dependent when it assigns the display identity number.

https://preview.redd.it/tkqvz0c6o5t...bp&s=00094546c1a29b06e4884ba416a170d5ab14c47b

https://preview.redd.it/7iks1197o5t...bp&s=056306239ed915f75a32dfbacb6ada4908c98e69

submitted by /u/tonynca
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/tonynca, Apr 14, 2021
  2. KyleMit Win User

Windows 10 - Change Display Numbers / Identity

I can get to the display setting where I can re-order displays:

Is there a way to renumber a display's identity number? VkWCB.png

But is it possible to actually re-number them as well?

The reason simply re-ordering doesn't fit my use case, is because other applications, like Skype, will use the original numbers and locations, which leads to some counterintuitive selections

Is there a way to renumber a display's identity number? XGnEu.png

All of these threads just suggest using display settings to shuffle monitors around:

KyleMit, Apr 14, 2021
  3. rosede Win User
    How to change sequential numbers in 2016 Word?

I have a multiple page document that has a 96 numbers sequentially listed. Actually its 192, because the numbers appear twice on the same page. Four duplicate numbers on 12 pages, 192 instances of sequential numbers.

I need to be able to renumber starting with the next highest number on the list. For example, the highest current number is 96. I need to start the numbering sequence at 97 and then increment from there. I hope this is clear enough.

For example 100001 thru 100096. I need to renumber the sequence 100097 thru 100192.

I've fooled around with the Find and Replace tool in Word. If I use the wild card setting, I can find the sequence 1000[0-9][0-9]. But, I can't figure out how to replace the matched find with the next number in the sequence.

Any suggestions on how to do this?

Thank you.

Daryl

rosede, Apr 14, 2021
  4. Is there a way to renumber a display's identity number?

How does one change their monitor's "Identity Number"?

I've been have problems that seems to be tied to Monitor Identity Numbers that fully ignores the settings for which monitor is set to main monitor. I have looked up for days through "Microsoft Support" and through the community in here
    (and in other places), and came to the conclusion that the majority of the answers I find are just ignorant people of what is actually being asked.

My current monitors I have are as shown below, with their "Identity Numbers" and with the addition of stating which one is marked "Make This My Main Display":

M422i-B1 (TV screen)

Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Monitor Identity Number: 1

Acer LCD Monitor P201W (Computer Screen) "Main Display"

Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Monitor Identity Number: 2

In the beginning prior to set-up, their "Identity Numbers" were originally swapped as the Acer was the original "Identity Number 1" screen, but now every time plug in a second screen (or monitor), it lists Acer as "#2". Despite the Acer Monitor is
    set to be the "Main Dispaly", almost all applications are opened up on my tv screen. The only way I can seem to remedy this is by moving them to the Acer Monitor and close the app on that one, but this would require to do upon right after logging into my pc.
    I
    have seen suggestions of using 3rd party applications for "Window Settings", only to be failed by the many versus the few stating that Windows OS supersede those settings in terms of "Monitor Identity".

To state, a lot of people seem to assume that the "Monitor's Identity Number" is not important, but in terms of experience (that seems many has shared), that this is actually relevant to the system regardless of the display settings
    for what is marked as the "Main Display".
    I do hope I get a proper answer for a question that has been asked for 10 years that seems to have not been dodged and/or misunderstood.
    To add, I do not seek for the answer of going through display setting and moving the monitors around as that too is, painfully in truth, a sign of ignorance.

I do apologize for typing up a long explanation, but sometimes, one needs to be detailed about the situation to show not just the big picture, but also the small ones the create the larger problem.

RenardTheKitsune, Apr 14, 2021
Thema:

Is there a way to renumber a display's identity number?

1. Is there a way to renumber a display's identity number? - Similar Threads - renumber display's identity

2. how to renumber partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to renumber partitions: Dear Sir/MadamHelloa friend of mine has UEFI windows 10 21H2, disk0 partitions layout were System , MSR , Windows , Recovery , "D" Partition , "E" Partition,Recovery was Partition number 4, "match location sequence"He asked me to reduce windows partition size from 2 TB to .5...
  3. how to renumber partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to renumber partitions: Dear Sir/MadamHelloa friend of mine has UEFI windows 10 21H2, disk0 partitions layout were System , MSR , Windows , Recovery , "D" Partition , "E" Partition,Recovery was Partition number 4, "match location sequence"He asked me to reduce windows partition size from 2 TB to .5...
  4. how to renumber partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Taskbars not identical on multiple displays

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbars not identical on multiple displays: I have two monitors attached to my Dell laptop through a Dell Thunderbolt docking station. Both taskbars have been identical forever until today. I disconnected my laptop from the docking station to carry to another room, and when I reconnected, my monitors were different...
  6. How to get the Windows display identity number programmatically?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to get the Windows display identity number programmatically?: I would like to get the "Monitor identity number" which is on "Windows Display setting -> Rearrange your displays" menu. The numbers as in the picture below. Please refer to this link:...
  7. No display number

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    No display number: Hi. I have an HP notebook and wish to display screen on tv. When I plug in HDMI cable, the display appears on tv, but notebook display goes black. When I go into display settings there is no display number showing so I cannot select 1/2. It did display originally but some...
  8. Possible to re-assign monitor identities/numbers?

Possible to re-assign monitor identities/numbers?: No matter what I do Windows always labels my secondary TV screen as my PC screen and vice versa. It's not really a problem in terms of functionality but it does annoy me that I can't change it. I've been through countless televisions and GPU's over the years but it always...
  9. monitor Display Identities.

monitor Display Identities.: Hi, I have a AMD R9 280 video card. I am running Windows 10. I have a new LG 27" lcd desktop monitor, and a 40" Panasonic plasma wall mounted, for watching movies. Outputs from my vid card are hdmi out to lg, displayport out to hdmi in on my surround sound receiver that is...
  10. Can't renumber photo files.

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't renumber photo files.: Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.64) I did this several weeks ago but can't do it now. I suspect that an update may be responsible. I have followed instructions found on various websites - all similar, but they don't work. A solution would be very welcome. 98952