Windows 10: Is there a way to repair an attached hard drive that has gone bad?

Discus and support Is there a way to repair an attached hard drive that has gone bad? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have several hard drives, a couple from older pc's, that I would like to get files from. Is there a way to do this? I brought one to a computer... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by franccaggiano, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Is there a way to repair an attached hard drive that has gone bad?

I have several hard drives, a couple from older pc's, that I would like to get files from. Is there a way to do this? I brought one to a computer repair shop who returned all the directory and file names on a new drive ... but with 0 bytes of information.?! not helpful

:)

franccaggiano, Aug 31, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

Windows Repair gone BAD

Boot the Macruium recovery again and try its 'Fix Windows Boot Problems' tool.

Is there a way to repair an attached hard drive that has gone bad? [​IMG]

3. hard disk bad sector repair in Windows 10

Hi Mohqasim,

Before proceeding further, please answer few queries.

1. What is the make, and model of the Computer?

2. What is the complete error message/code you receive?

As per the description, I understand that there could be some bad sector in the hard disk.

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to follow the below steps to run the check disk, and check.

1. Press Windows + X, select Command prompt(Admin).

2. Type the following command, and hit Enter.

chkdsk /r/f

Disclaimer: While performing check disk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive, then chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Please let us know if the issue got fixed or you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

Pratiksha Devadiga, Aug 31, 2020
  4. Arul_D Win User

Is there a way to repair an attached hard drive that has gone bad?

Windows 10 allocating Drive Letters for my External Hard Drives Then Making it Impossible To See Content. Is There A Way I Over looked?

Hello Fayez,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to check the external drive for errors and check if the issue persists. Follow the steps to check for errors in the drive.

Method 1:

Follow the steps to check the drive for errors:

a. Open Windows Explorer.

b. Right click on the drives that are not accessible and click
    Properties.

c. Click the Tools tab, and then, under
    Error-checking, click Check now. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

• To automatically repair problems with files and folders that the scan detects, select
      Automatically fix file system errors. Otherwise, the disk check will report problems but not fix them.

• To perform a thorough check, select
      Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. This scan attempts to find and repair physical errors on the drive itself, and it can take much longer to complete.
    • To check for both file errors and physical errors, select both
      Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.
    d. Restart the computer and check if the drives are accessible or not.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data
    available on that might be lost.

Please reply with the status of the issue so that we can help you better.

Arul_D, Aug 31, 2020
Thema:

Is there a way to repair an attached hard drive that has gone bad?

1. Is there a way to repair an attached hard drive that has gone bad? - Similar Threads - repair attached hard

2. Bad hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bad hard drive?: I thought my hard drive may be going bad. I got a bootable copy of Windows to try to reinstall it using a usb device because of an endless boot loop with the error message that the computer encountered an unexpected shut down or problem. When I try to install windows again, I...
  3. Bad hard drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bad hard drive?: I thought my hard drive may be going bad. I got a bootable copy of Windows to try to reinstall it using a usb device because of an endless boot loop with the error message that the computer encountered an unexpected shut down or problem. When I try to install windows again, I...
  4. Bad hard drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Bad Hard Drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bad Hard Drive: I have a dell desktop that is faulty and wonder if I should replace the hdd, I have a new one and usb loading stick.Is it all as easy as plugging both in and letting it reinstall.It has been hard to transfer files off the c drive due to an occurrance constantly of c drive at...
  6. Hard Drive OS Repair/Access on a hard drive attached as a external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Drive OS Repair/Access on a hard drive attached as a external hard drive: I have a computer originally from my son. It had not been running for 5-7 years, burnt power supply. I was updating to most current Win 10 and the files got corrupted at version 1909 and it won't boot. In Win PE recovery mode I've tried system restore, system reset, advanced...
  7. Bad hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Bad hard drive: The hard drive in my computer died. I have four other computers with windows 10 and I guess each one has a different account. This account is the account for the bad computer I believe. How do I get windows ten back on the computer with the new hard drive without purchasing...
  8. Windows Repair gone BAD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Repair gone BAD: A Windows Repair gone wrong. I followed the tutorial to repair windows. Everything went well until the boot after installation. All I can get is "Selected boot device failed. Press any key to reboot the system" When I reboot I click on f12 to try change boot order. I get the...
  9. Whats the best way to deal with bad sectors in hard drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Whats the best way to deal with bad sectors in hard drive?: My hard drive used to have a bit of freeze on opening some of the files so I decided to run a chkdsk /f via CMD. That converted my disc to dynamic somehow and it wouldnt even let me boot to windows. Anyway after installing EaseUS partition master I was able to turn my hard...
  10. bad hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    bad hard drive: Wouldnt it just be my luck that discovered the re-certifed hard drive western digital sent me is partially bad from the start. This is what has seemed to have happened. I know this because I just got done doing a fresh clean install of 7 the other day and then right after...