Windows 10: Is there a way to search for just the files name in windows explorer?

Discus and support Is there a way to search for just the files name in windows explorer? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I don’t know what happened to my explorer search feature. For some reason and I don’t know when it started but it stopped searching correctly. For... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by attroll, Oct 30, 2019.

1. attroll Win User

Is there a way to search for just the files name in windows explorer?

I don’t know what happened to my explorer search feature.
    For some reason and I don’t know when it started but it stopped searching correctly.
    For example: Using the explorer search bar. I am trying to look for a file with the with the word “order” in the file name.

I can do search of the C drive (top level directory) and it works correctly. It brings up all the file names that have “order” in the file name.

However, if I go one directory deeper into the C drive and do the same search using the explorer search bar. I get the results with file names that do not have “order” in the file name. After some research I found out that is because it is also looking in the files content for anything that has “order” in the file.

I do not want to list the files that have “order” in the file content. I only want to search the file names.
    I know you can put “nameIs there a way to search for just the files name in windows explorer? :eek:rder” in the search box and it will only search file names.

Is there any way to search the search option so that is defaults to only search file names without having to use “name:” as a prefix to the search?

:)

attroll, Oct 30, 2019

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Oct 30, 2019
  3. Frick Win User
    Windows Explorer Replacement?

I don't use Internet Explorer, I meant the thing where you can look at files etc. Hotkey Windows+E. Maybe it's the wrong name in english though. *Stick Out Tongue Is there a way to search for just the files name in windows explorer? :p

Frick, Oct 30, 2019
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Search for Missing files in File Explorer

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are looking for a file named “Class” with the length of the file. However, currently File Explorer doesn’t have the option to search the files using the length.

You can follow the steps mentioned below to search for a file in File Explorer using the Size, Kind of file and other options.

1. Press and hold Windows key + E to open
      File Explorer.
    2. Click on This PC on the left pane.
    3. Press F3 key to open Search options.
    4. You can select the Size,
      Kind
      of file and other options and then, search for the file.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Is there a way to search for just the files name in windows explorer? - Similar Threads - search files name

2. Searching for files with spaces in names in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Searching for files with spaces in names in File Explorer: In File Explorer, how to search for any filename with a space before the period? * .* doesn't work -- returns all files.More generally, where are the syntax and other rules for searching in File Explorer?thanksK...
  3. Searching for files with spaces in names in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Searching for files with spaces in names in File Explorer: In File Explorer, how to search for any filename with a space before the period? * .* doesn't work -- returns all files.More generally, where are the syntax and other rules for searching in File Explorer?thanksK...
  4. Searching for files with spaces in names in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I can't search files by name File Explorer - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't search files by name File Explorer - Windows 11: Hello everyone,As the title states, I cannot search for the name of the file in File Explorer. For example, the file name is DSC02115, I type "2115", It returns me the result: "No items match your search.".Please see the image below.Can anyone tell me why File Explorer can't...
  6. I can't search files by name File Explorer - Windows 11

I can't search files by name File Explorer - Windows 11: Hello everyone,As the title states, I cannot search for the name of the file in File Explorer. For example, the file name is DSC02115, I type "2115", It returns me the result: "No items match your search.".Please see the image below.Can anyone tell me why File Explorer can't...
  7. Windows 10 Explorer Won't Search for File By File Name Keyword

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Explorer Won't Search for File By File Name Keyword: Never had this problem in Windows 7 or XP Explorer when searching for by a keyword in a file name of a file in a specific folder, this time on my external USB drive. Please advise....
  8. Windows 10 Explorer Won't Search for File By File Name Keyword

Windows 10 Explorer Won't Search for File By File Name Keyword: Never had this problem in Windows 7 or XP Explorer when searching for by a keyword in a file name of a file in a specific folder, this time on my external USB drive. Please advise....
  9. searching with file explorer for just file names

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    searching with file explorer for just file names: Name:XYZ file explorer will list filenames, folder names, shortcuts etc. NO. I just want filenames! How to do i get that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/searching-with-file-explorer-for-just-file-names/733d9215-8cb9-49fc-ae2d-3559c6e1e642"
  10. File Explorer Search-"Limit to search on name" not working

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search-"Limit to search on name" not working: Hello, The File explorer option is bugged: whatever option one chooses: search names, url, or contents: the result total is that of search "contents". For most searches, this gives 12000 files instead of say 3. Cortana does give the three, but it's not at all a satisfactory...