Windows 10: Is there a way to shorten Network Drive file paths?

Discus and support Is there a way to shorten Network Drive file paths? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; We are currently using Network Locations to access our company SharePoint files. We decided to use Network Location instead of OneDrive, because... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SalonenSamuli, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Is there a way to shorten Network Drive file paths?

We are currently using Network Locations to access our company SharePoint files. We decided to use Network Location instead of OneDrive, because OneDrive has a delay of 5-15 between a person uploading a file and other people seeing the file on their file explorer.However, we ran into a problem with Network Locations, since the file explorer only allows file paths up to 260 characters MAX_PATH. Our Network Location starts withhttps://XXXXXXXXXX.sharepoint.com/Shared Documents/{Enter Folder names here}Is there a way of reducing this start of the file path? Since if it crosses the max path

:)

SalonenSamuli, Aug 6, 2021

2. shorten a file path

i'm unable to save documents from external drive to my desktop because the file name is too long. so far the instructions on line to change or shorten the file path make no sense to me. is this something a typical user is able to do?

cathytaylor4, Aug 6, 2021
  3. Any way to copy a full network path on Windows 10?

This seems to be a bug

-> No.

Any way to copy a full network path on Windows 10?

-> Sure:

1. Open File Explorer
    2. Click Network
    3. Open your own PC ("Spring" in my case)
    4. Click the share whose path you need
    5. Single-click well to the right of the address in the address bar (\\Spring\DriveD in my case). This will highlight the full network path of the share.
    6. Press Ctrl+C to copy it.

Is there a way to shorten Network Drive file paths? 3d84a941-bdaa-446c-9713-bfae40181bbb?upload=true.jpg

Frederik Long, Aug 6, 2021
  4. Is there a way to shorten Network Drive file paths?

In Windows 10, is there a way to shorten the command prompt?

I often use the command prompt in a deeply-nested folder, in which case the prompt becomes excessively long. Is there any way to shorten the command prompt, e.g., display only the last segment of the path or specify a truncation length? If not, I'd like
    to suggest that such a feature be added.

P.S. I selected the "Desktop, Start, and Personalization/General" category because there is no "Command Prompt" category.

Phillip M. Feldman, Aug 6, 2021
Thema:

Is there a way to shorten Network Drive file paths?

1. Is there a way to shorten Network Drive file paths? - Similar Threads - shorten Network Drive

2. How to shorten file and or folder paths that get unreasonably long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to shorten file and or folder paths that get unreasonably long: How to shorten file and or folder paths that get unreasonably long https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-shorten-file-and-or-folder-paths-that-get/9a6249d7-3a53-49f3-a40f-488e1eb49f34
  3. How to shorten file and or folder paths that get unreasonably long

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to shorten file and or folder paths that get unreasonably long: How to shorten file and or folder paths that get unreasonably long https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-shorten-file-and-or-folder-paths-that-get/9a6249d7-3a53-49f3-a40f-488e1eb49f34
  4. Adding a Path to a Network Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adding a Path to a Network Drive: I've been trying to move off of Linux and over to Windows and I've come across an issue I'm unsure of how to resolve.So I've mapped a network drive to Z: which contains information needed in some programs that I run. In those programs, they specify a file path to look in that...
  5. Adding a Path to a Network Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding a Path to a Network Drive: I've been trying to move off of Linux and over to Windows and I've come across an issue I'm unsure of how to resolve.So I've mapped a network drive to Z: which contains information needed in some programs that I run. In those programs, they specify a file path to look in that...
  6. In Windows 10, is there a way to shorten the command prompt?

in Windows 10 Customization
    In Windows 10, is there a way to shorten the command prompt?: I often use the command prompt in a deeply-nested folder, in which case the prompt becomes excessively long. Is there any way to shorten the command prompt, e.g., display only the last segment of the path or specify a truncation length? If not, I'd like to suggest that such a...
  7. Mapping and saving a path to network drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mapping and saving a path to network drives: Windows ver. 1909 I use a program called MyFolders. It creates a Right click menu option in File Explorer that then allows you to map a path to and save that mapped path to any external drive or other computer on your network. It appears this program has some fatal flaws...
  8. shorten a file path

shorten a file path: i'm unable to save documents from external drive to my desktop because the file name is too long. so far the instructions on line to change or shorten the file path make no sense to me. is this something a typical user is able to do?...
  9. Incorrect Network Path in Drive Properties

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Incorrect Network Path in Drive Properties: In Properties for my N drive, the network path ends in \d, not \n - how do I change this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/incorrect-network-path-in-drive-properties/15a1a878-7104-4027-afe9-2f4f1b6d74d8
  10. Cannot connect to network drives - network path not found!

Cannot connect to network drives - network path not found!: This is a really infuriating problem that I just can’t get my head around! I have 2 win10 pcs and one WDigital network drive all wired together by Ethernet via an Asus AC68u. Pc 1 can read and write to the network drive and can read and write files to pc 2 pc2 can read and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. sharepoint mapped drive 260 characters file path