Windows 10: Is there a way to skip duplicate files when copying?

Discus and support Is there a way to skip duplicate files when copying? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a 3TB external hard drive that I use to backup large files. Usually, I just drag and drop the folders from my laptop to the external drive and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kyle09, Mar 19, 2019.

1. kyle09 Win User

Is there a way to skip duplicate files when copying?

I have a 3TB external hard drive that I use to backup large files. Usually, I just drag and drop the folders from my laptop to the external drive and Windows gives me an option to skip duplicate files AFTER it copies the new files. That has been working fine but now I am getting an error saying that there is not enough space on my hard drive and it won't let me transfer. But I just want to copy the new files and skip the duplicates. I already know there is enough space for the new files. A way to work around this is to find each new file and copy them manually, but that takes a lot of time and I don't want to do that. Is there a way to have Windows automatically skip duplicate files BEFORE the transfer starts so that it won't count the space of the duplicate files?

:)

kyle09, Mar 19, 2019

2. Can no longer skip duplicate files on directory copy?

When I copy a directory from my phone to my Windows 10 laptop, I used to get two prompts: The first one would warn me that there was a FOLDER with the same name at the destination and ask me if I wanted to merge the source folder into the destination folder.
    Then I would get a second prompt, warning me about duplicate FILES, which would ask me whether I wanted to replace or skip each duplicate file.

This behavior has changed. Now when I copy directories, I no longer get the second prompt. If I choose to merge the DIRECTORIES, it appears to be automatically overwrite duplicate FILES, even if I leave the "do this for other conflicts" block unchecked in
    the directory dialog.

I have the "Hide folder merge conflicts" box UNCHECKED in folder options. (There does not seem to be a corresponding "Hide file merge conflicts" box.)

If I go into each directory and copy the files individually (without the parent directory), I DO see the "skip duplicate files" dialog.

It is cumbersome to have to go in and select 2,000 files in order to just weed out the news ones, but without it, a file copy that should take a few minutes takes TWO HOURS instead.

Why has this behavior changed, and how can I skip duplicate files when I copy a folder?

MostCoolNinja, Mar 19, 2019
  3. Skipping duplicates when copying file to OneDrive

Hello,

I have purchased an ongoing OneDrive account so that I can store photos in the cloud. I have A LOT of photos. A given assignment can produce several thousand.

Yesterday I uploaded a folder that contained 4,500 files from my internal hard drive to my OneDrive account. I temporarily lost my connection and my upload was interrupted after about 2,800 files. Were the copying (uploading) to be interrupted while I was
    copying this folder from, say, my internal hard drive to my external hard drive I would simply open up the folder on my internal drive, copy all the files, open up the folder on my external drive, and paste them. At that point, a notification would come up
    asking me what I want to do with the 2,800 files that I had already copied/uploaded. I would say "skip them" and only the files that had not been uploaded/copied would copy from the internal to the external drive.

However, this "skip them" option does not seem to be available with OneDrive. I have to either delete the folder in one drive and upload the entire folder again OR try to figure out which files have already been uploaded.

So my question is: how can I skip duplicate files while uploading from my internal hard drive to OneDrive?

Thanks!

GoDownMoses, Mar 19, 2019
  4. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Mar 19, 2019
Thema:

1. Is there a way to skip duplicate files when copying? - Similar Threads - skip duplicate files

2. Is there a way to merge the files or not resync with the duplicated files'-copy'?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to merge the files or not resync with the duplicated files'-copy'?: OneDrive was having sync issues, so I unlinked the pc and linked it back. Now if I turn on documents, pictures and desktop tabs, it's giving me a notification that 5197 files will duplicate and add '-copy' to the end of the file name. Is there a way to merge the files or not...
  3. Is there a way to merge the files or not resync with the duplicated files'-copy'?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a way to merge the files or not resync with the duplicated files'-copy'?: OneDrive was having sync issues, so I unlinked the pc and linked it back. Now if I turn on documents, pictures and desktop tabs, it's giving me a notification that 5197 files will duplicate and add '-copy' to the end of the file name. Is there a way to merge the files or not...
  4. Is there a way to merge the files or not resync with the duplicated files'-copy'?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Copy - skipped files report

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy - skipped files report: I should've probably used a specialized tool for that, but now that I did it with windows... I copied ~11000 files from 1 HDD to another, and out of habit, clicked 'do not ask again' and "skip" when there was a problem.due to a hardware problem that's why I'm copying from it,...
  6. Copying files to a galaxy s9, skip duplicates

Copying files to a galaxy s9, skip duplicates: How can I update my downloaded fanfic library that I have sort of backed up to my Samsung Galaxy S9 phone? It's not intended as a backup, more like an offline sync.If I copy all the files in a folder where there are some duplicates on the computer, I get asked what to do with...
  7. Copying files to a galaxy s9, skip duplicates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying files to a galaxy s9, skip duplicates: How can I update my downloaded fanfic library that I have sort of backed up to my Samsung Galaxy S9 phone? It's not intended as a backup, more like an offline sync.If I copy all the files in a folder where there are some duplicates on the computer, I get asked what to do with...
  8. Copying files to a galaxy s9, skip duplicates

9. Copy and skipping existing files.

Copy and skipping existing files.: Is there any way that I can copy files from one folder to another and automatically skipping all existing files in the destination folder using a batch file? I know I can do it usung File Explorer, but I want to know how to do it from a batch file. If I use the /v option,...
  10. duplicate files when copying folder with GUI

duplicate files when copying folder with GUI: When I try copy user folders quite often I get the message that folder/file already exists, I copy c:\program data or c:\users user folders from one hard drive to a brand new computer with brand new hard disk, so that folder/file absolutely sure doesn't exist on the new one,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. copy all files to mobile sikp duiplicates

2. tranfer files to external hard drive skip duplicates

3. copy files skip duplicates

4. no longer getting asked what to do with duplicate files when copying,
  5. copy drive skipping duplicates,
  6. how to skip duplicates when copying files,
  7. skip duplicate files when dragging