Windows 10: Is there a way to stop Chrome from opening on startup without unchecking "open where you...

Discus and support Is there a way to stop Chrome from opening on startup without unchecking "open where you... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I very much like continuing my old sessions as i allways keep handy tabs open, but chrome opening on startup is extremley bothersome as it lags and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by TidilyRam, May 4, 2019.

1. TidilyRam Win User

Is there a way to stop Chrome from opening on startup without unchecking "open where you...

I very much like continuing my old sessions as i allways keep handy tabs open, but chrome opening on startup is extremley bothersome as it lags and slows down my computer when all the other apps are activating.

so far ive already tried all the other options i could find and none worked(startup folder, task manager) and now i dont know what to do

:)

TidilyRam, May 4, 2019
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Google Chrome Opens on Startup

Definitely something on your system startup is causing Chrome to open up

The Startup tab on Task Manager and msconfig offer limited options for stopping Startup Processes

Click HERE to download Autoruns from Technet, a small
    free utility that does not need installing. This utility will give you a much more detailed view of apps and processes starting with your system . . .

• Unzip the Download, right click either Autoruns.exe or Autoruns64.exe (depending on whether you are running 32bit or 64bit Window 10) and select 'Run as Administrator'
    • Scroll down to find any entry referring to MSN or Chrome (ignore updaters) and uncheck it
    • Restart your system and this annoyance should be gone

Is there a way to stop Chrome from opening on startup without unchecking "open where you... 8087e3cb-8975-4288-bd7c-b42700859787.jpg

DaveM121, May 4, 2019
  3. JudyKane Win User
    Google Chrome Opens on Startup

This sounds promising. I was referred to this solution from my own chain about my problem of getting Chrome to stop autostarting since the lastest Windows 10 update (about a month ago).. I wasn't clear about whether to uncheck something based on the above.
    Chrome was listed in several places, but not start. I don't want to click on something that will make things worse, and I wasn't clear about whether going to properties for any of these entries was part of the solution.

Chrome is checked on the Everything tab for HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and for HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setuo\Installed Components

It is not listed for

ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

I don't see a category for autostart.

I also didn't see Chrome listed on any other tabs.

Thank you.

JudyKane, May 4, 2019
  4. Dave____J Win User

Is there a way to stop Chrome from opening on startup without unchecking "open where you...

chrome will not open

IK reinstalled the KB and a Silverlight update, no luck. I tried to remove chrome , again, using the suggested tool. Chrome was not on the list, I selected not listed. It wanted the product code. A quick internet search did not find it. I removed chrome
    using the add and remove programs.,reinstalled chrome and ran the clean up tool, no malware. chrome now opens.. I have signed in and it is working. The second removal worked. thx

Dave____J, May 4, 2019
Thema:

1. Is there a way to stop Chrome from opening on startup without unchecking "open where you... - Similar Threads - stop Chrome opening

2. Chrome not opening.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Chrome not opening.: After recently getting my new computer around 20/09 this year chrome hasn't been working. When I go to open chrome it shows a black window for about a millisecond and closes. I've tried to use firefox and the same issue happens. I have also tried excluding the app from my...
  3. File Explorer Windows 10 - How do you stop it from opening at startup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Windows 10 - How do you stop it from opening at startup: All of the internet tells everybody to go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows which is wrong they need to go to Computer\HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-896562294-4234900943-864648446-1001\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows...
  4. chrome is not opening

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    chrome is not opening: help for solution https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chrome-is-not-opening/94f4272c-24d6-4f61-8939-85ac0d789336
  5. Chrome not opening

in Windows 10 Customization
    Chrome not opening: Hi, I just got a laptop with windows 10 and downloaded Chrome on it. But when I open that or any other browser downloaded from the internet it says you need a new app to open this ms-wpc link. I tried some of the troubleshooting steps online like th epowershell one but it...
  6. Chrome not opening

Chrome not opening: My google chrome will not open, I have tried uninstalling and restarting my computer but nothing is working. No errors pop up itsimply wont open, any tips https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chrome-not-opening/e035fe75-9b25-4d9c-a8fe-35df297ce448
  7. chrome will not open

chrome will not open: **** chrome will not work * Moved from Education https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chrome-will-not-open/c10fdabb-9e4b-44fe-88cd-378408baa957
  8. Opening Chrome

in Windows 10 Customization
    Opening Chrome: Why do I have to give permission for the Chrome "App to make changes to my device"? It isn't changing anything, it's just my search engine. Is there a way to stop this without disabling security?...
  9. Chrome stopped opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Chrome stopped opening: I'm running Windows 10. Suddenly today I find I cannot open Chrome. I also cannot uninstall it because Windows apparently believes it is running somewhere. Task Manager however says nothing is running except Edge (which I don't want to use). What's going on?...
  10. Chrome Opens On Startup And Opens Microsoft Windows 10 help page

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome Opens On Startup And Opens Microsoft Windows 10 help page: I noticed a strange behaviour when booting a relatively new installation of Windows 10. After logging in, Google Chrome opened shortly afterwards and opened a go.microsoft.com link which led to this webpage: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-10Chrome It's...