Windows 10: Is there a way to stop/disable Cortana?

Discus and support Is there a way to stop/disable Cortana? in Cortana to solve the problem; Cannot keep Cortana from running nor from restarting after I do End Task on Task Manager. How to disable it permanently? I don't feel confident enough... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by SabineJordan, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Is there a way to stop/disable Cortana?

Cannot keep Cortana from running nor from restarting after I do End Task on Task Manager.

How to disable it permanently? I don't feel confident enough to do the Registry Edit thing, so hope there are other options available.

It sucks that Microsoft is forcing all of these system hog products on us, like Cortana and Skype, that take up all the processing speed and RAM, don't like or use any of these products.

Hope someone can help. Thanks.

Running the latest latest of everything (since it does the forced upgrades as well). Windows 10 etc.

:)

SabineJordan, Jan 25, 2019
  2. mibaup Win User

Any working way to remove Cortana?

Is there a way to do that without downloading the reg file? (Can I do that myself?)
    Also, will that stop the Cortana background process?
    Because I already disabled Cortana itself alone, what you're suggesting is additional. or just another way to disable Cortana but leaving it working in the background?*Huh

mibaup, Jan 25, 2019
  3. Cortana

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

This issue can occur if some of the system files are not working as expected.

Suggest you to follow the steps from this article to
    troubleshoot Cortana on the PC

Note: Do not go with the ‘Reset PC’ option for now.

Method 1: Follow these steps to disable Cortana:

1. Sign-in to the PC with your Microsoft account.
    2. In the search box at the bottom, type Disable Cortana.
    3. Once the suggestions appear in the list, click Cortana & Search settings.
    4. From the right section of the Settings pane, move the top button to ‘Off’ to disable Cortana from Windows 10.

Method 2: Follow these steps to check if that helps.

1. Launch Cortana from the search bar on the taskbar.
    2. Then, from the left pane click the settings button.
    3. Under "Cortana" (the first option) and slide the pill switch to the ‘Off’ position.

Method 3: Launch the Settings app and click on Privacy. Navigate to Speech, inking, & typing, and click Stop getting to know me. These steps will disable Cortana.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Jan 25, 2019
  4. Is there a way to stop/disable Cortana?

Disable TimeBroker, Cortana and Edge in Windows 10

Thank you for your reply -

Step 1: Disabled is not an option - only hidden. I have never responded positively to Cortana but she remains listed among the Background processes in Task Manager.

Step 2: Under settings-Default Apps, Internet Explorer 11 (IE11) is my default Web browser, but while I can invoke IE11 cleanly from the taskbar where IE11 is pinned, whenever any other applications like Windows Explorer or Office Outlook invokes a browser
    a choice list of all browsers always comes up instead of invoking IE11 cleanly.

Step 3: I have managed to stop runaway TimeBroker by disabling all apps in Privacy. It is caused by Cortana or Edge wanting to index 2 terabytes of files each session. I use X1, paid software, for this. X1 is very tame and does not run constantly the way
    TimeBroker does.

Atlanta Southsider, Jan 25, 2019
Thema:

Is there a way to stop/disable Cortana?

1. Is there a way to stop/disable Cortana? - Similar Threads - stop disable Cortana

2. disable Cortana

in Cortana
    disable Cortana: Unless Microsoft can provide the kind of user interface that enables folks to STOP Cortana and STOP updating Defaults, it will be the last time I purchase a system with Windows; I will move to the superior OSes of some version of Linux. You folks should be ashamed and you...
  3. disable Cortana

in Cortana
    disable Cortana: How do I disable Cortana in WIndows 10? I don't use it. When I click on "end task" in the task manager, it does NOT stay off. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-cortana/1e6d20dd-06a1-4365-86cb-d11a28c89742
  4. Disable Cortana

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Cortana: How do I disable Cortana. I have unchecked everything in settings but the darn thing carries on to interrupt! Win 10 Home version 1903. Simple and detailed instructions please. 161565
  5. Cortana - Cannot disable or stop

Cortana - Cannot disable or stop: Hi all, Cortana is running at 24% CPU - Power usage "Very high" So far I have tried stopping/removing it by: Using "O&O ShutUp 10" Downloaded a "Disable Cortana Reg" The Group Policy editor: Edit group policy / Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows...
  6. disable cortana

in Windows 10 Customization
    disable cortana: how can I disable cortana completely when I play a game it pops up in task manager and takes a little cpu and it hangs my game a little https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-cortana/d7fd4128-6c0d-438c-a556-34ca7b7c38ed
  7. Is there a easy way to stop Cortana from starting

in Cortana
    Is there a easy way to stop Cortana from starting: I would like to stop Cortana from starting. Is there a easy way to do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-easy-way-to-stop-cortana-from-starting/2b4766d1-5b7b-45e8-868a-7f4bc3fb8b8b"
  8. Disable & Stop Search and Cortana Application

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable & Stop Search and Cortana Application: Howdy, Anyone knows which tutorial can be used to disable and prevent this service from loading? The exact details in the snapshot. Cheers, [img] 113913
  9. Is there a way to completely disable Cortana?

Is there a way to completely disable Cortana?: So I just installed Windows 10, everything seems to be running great at the moment except for 1 thing, Cortana is still running in the background (taking up around ~30MBs of RAM), even after following Brink's tutorial (link). Is there a way to disable it completely? 9491
  10. Disable Cortana??

Disable Cortana??: How do you disable this?? I used a registry hack but still no good. I want to be able to search without this This is after the new 1607 update. 58467

Users found this page by searching for:

1. stop cortana

2. my cortana wont speak uses text mode only