Windows 10: Is there a way to stop forced update?

Discus and support Is there a way to stop forced update? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; After the last forced update, my office 2010 did not work. I reverted back, and all is fine, but no matter what I do, the update automatically starts... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Steelerdude1, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Is there a way to stop forced update?

After the last forced update, my office 2010 did not work. I reverted back, and all is fine, but no matter what I do, the update automatically starts again. Since this one is a security update, I can’t stop it from happening.

The only thing I have been able to do to stop it is to turn off WiFi, then shut down. Buy once re booted, it starts again making my laptop unusable.

im about ready to back up, wipe and reload windows 8or ditch it completely and go to a MAC. Looking for options before I go this route.

:)

Steelerdude1, Feb 23, 2018
  2. Tryx3 Win User

Is there a way to stop automatic updates?

Don,

1 Is the local link from your computer to your router / satellite modem a WiFi link?

2 Do you have an overnight unlimited download period?

If the answer to 1 is Yes then you can set your computer's WiFi link to metered
    and Windows updates will not download over it. You'll need to set up some means of getting Windows updates from time to time as you will be aware. However, even with the connection set to
    metered, you can still force Windows Defender to update its definitions by using the Updates tab in its UI - so that more immediate update need can be taken care of.

If the answer to both 1 & 2 is Yes then you can set your computer's WiFi link to
    metered during the daytime so that Windows updates will not download over it and set it as
    unmetered at night so that Windows updates are done then.

This metered / unmetered switching can be set up automatically - you can use the solution that I have provided

instructions for
    in another thread in the forum - for a user who was using a satellite connection that had an unlimited data usage period overnight.
    The other user and I had already exchanged a lot of information so there might be some assumptions built into that instruction post that I have not realised [I have checked it and I think it is all clear].

That other thread is very long so I have linked you straight to the post explaining the solution [don't scroll as the page loads or you'll move away from the intended section]. In essence, you use batch files and Task scheduler to switch your local
    WiFi link to your satellite modem / router between metered & non-metered
    at 12 midnight and 5am EST. When your connection is set to metered [daytime], Windows does not download updates. When it is set to
    non-metered [overnight, 00:00 - 05:00] , Windows downloads updates.

If the local link is not WiFi then I will not be able to help you and I don't think anybody else can.

Tryx3, Feb 23, 2018
  3. WindowsOS Win User
    Is there a way to stop automatic updates?

Depends on what version is going to be installed. I believe the "Home" Edition it's going to be automatic but on the "Pro" Edition they can be scheduled.

WindowsOS, Feb 23, 2018
  4. mrgeek Win User

Is there a way to stop forced update?

mrgeek, Feb 23, 2018
  5. Is there a way to stop forced update? [​IMG]

One this update is installed and running, none of the Office programs (word, excel, outlook etc) will open. Any file associated with them asks what default program to use to open, and when you try to make that Assoc. It’s not an available option

i hope that makes sense.

6. Even though I have the update service disabled, it still wants to auto download it.

Is there a way to stop forced update? [​IMG]

7. mrgeek Win User
    Though you have WU disabled, there are background processes via Task Scheduler which you can't stop. Version 14393 is Win10 1607 (July 2016) which is scheduled to be unsupported within two months. Version 16299 is the latest, 1709 aka Fall Creators Update. You should accept the 'Update now' (will take about 1-1.5 hrs). PS 1803 is due in a month to replace this version 1709.

As far as Office goes, try Control Panel/Programs and Features, find Office 2010 and click 'Change' at top to retrieve installation files. Then Click 'Repair' option.
    Next, in Settings/Apps/Default apps, click 'Set defaults by app' and for each Office program, click 'Manage' then associate all protocols with that program.
    Lastly, in Settings/Updates & Security/Windows Update, click 'Advanced options' then tick 'Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows' to retrieve the many Office security updates that came out in the 1.5 yrs since your Win10 version. Good Luck

mrgeek, Feb 23, 2018
  8. Is there a way to stop forced update?

Thanks!

I’ll give that a go, but it shouldn’t be this hard to do. With any previous versions of Windows, the updates would download, and everything would continue to work.

Microsoft has really dropped the ball with this version of Windows.

9. Hi,
    Yeah I like that message by MS
    Say "One best thing about windows 10 is it gets better with every update" lol *Thumbs

ThrashZone, Feb 23, 2018
  10. I agree that it shouldn't be hard to do.

Where I volunteer Microsoft Office 2010 is in use and doesn't have any problems with 16299.
    mrgeek's recommendations in post #5 look good to me.

MeAndMyComputer, Feb 23, 2018
  11. Callender Win User
    I'm stuck with 1703 due to system spec. I had the same problem with forced updates and subsequent rollbacks.

I use Windows 10 Home. I don't know of anything that can't be disabled.

Windows update service is kept running. I just checked for updates using WUMT and installed the security update but avoided the upgrade.

Available updates:

After updating

You seem to have "windows 10 upgrade assistant" installed. I reckon you will have to stop WU service and disconnect from internet before resetting WU components rebooting and running advanced disk cleanup to include WU cleanup.

Then you'd need to configure Windows Updates not to check for updates.

Code: REGEDIT4[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]"ElevateNonAdmins"=dword:00000001"WUServer"="http://wsus:8530""WUStatusServer"="http://wsus:8530""DeferFeatureUpdates"=dword:00000001"BranchReadinessLevel"=dword:00000010"DeferFeatureUpdatesPeriodInDays"=dword:000000B4"PauseFeatureUpdates"=dword:00000001"ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"=dword:00000001[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]"AUPowerManagement"=dword:00000000"NoAUShutdownOption"=dword:00000001"NoAUAsDefaultShutdownOption"=dword:00000001"NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000"ScheduledInstallDay"=dword:00000000"ScheduledInstallTime"=dword:00000002"UseWUServer"=dword:00000001"RescheduleWaitTimeEnabled"=dword:00000001"RescheduleWaitTime"=dword:0000000A"NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers"=dword:00000001"DetectionFrequencyEnabled"=dword:00000001"DetectionFrequency"=dword:00000001"AutoInstallMinorUpdates"=dword:00000001"RebootWarningTimeoutEnabled"=dword:00000000"RebootRelaunchTimeoutEnabled"=dword:00000001"RebootRelaunchTimeout"=dword:000005A0"AUOptions"=dword:00000002[/quote] Code: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]"AUPowerManagement"=dword:00000000"NoAUShutdownOption"=dword:00000001"NoAUAsDefaultShutdownOption"=dword:00000001"NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000"ScheduledInstallDay"=dword:00000000"ScheduledInstallTime"=dword:00000002"UseWUServer"=dword:00000001"RescheduleWaitTimeEnabled"=dword:00000001"RescheduleWaitTime"=dword:0000000A"NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers"=dword:00000001"DetectionFrequencyEnabled"=dword:00000001"DetectionFrequency"=dword:00000001"AutoInstallMinorUpdates"=dword:00000001"RebootWarningTimeoutEnabled"=dword:00000000"RebootRelaunchTimeoutEnabled"=dword:00000001"RebootRelaunchTimeout"=dword:000005A0"AUOptions"=dword:00000002[/quote] Then you'd need to disable the tasks shown in the screenshots including "Refresh Settings" which I believe is a task that can re-enable some settings if you have disabled them. I'm not entirely sure though. You can see 54 missed runs in my screenshot.

On my machine there is no daily update check and I use third party tools to check for updates.

Mostly I use either WUMT or W10Privacy but the second program comes with lots of extras that you might not need and it's tricky to configure. On the other hand:

Instructions

That is not easy to set up.

Manual update checks are still possible with this tool when everything WU is disabled (other than WU service)

Download Windows Update MiniTool - MajorGeeks

I would think that the recommendations for getting the upgrade to work are the best way forward but if that fails at least you know that there is a way to control updates for now. I say for now because the way windows updates works is subject to change at any time.

Callender, Feb 24, 2018
  12. Thanks fo the advice!

I downloaded the update along with the Other Microsoft updates box checked, and all is working! I did the repair procedure for Office as well before I updated.

hopefully, things will go smoother from here on.

Steelerdude1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Is there a way to stop forced update?

1. Is there a way to stop forced update? - Similar Threads - stop forced update

2. Stop forcing the Windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop forcing the Windows update: I've just lost a day of work you ******* ********. This has been a problem for long enough to be certain that you don't care, that you just wamćnt to have it it your way. So here I am, just making it known that you are still causing people problems with this.I even friggin...
  3. Stop forcing the Windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stop forcing the Windows update: I've just lost a day of work you ******* ********. This has been a problem for long enough to be certain that you don't care, that you just wamćnt to have it it your way. So here I am, just making it known that you are still causing people problems with this.I even friggin...
  4. Stop forcing the Windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Stop forced updates on Windows

Stop forced updates on Windows: Hi, we are using windows on machines and the forced updates are most of the time not and a good timing to stop machines and are interfering our software. How can I stop windows to send me forced updates not with normal disabling it in windows or how can I schedule it myself...
  6. Stopping the Annoying Forced Updates

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stopping the Annoying Forced Updates: Hey ya' all. I've been trying to stop these annoying updates. I think I've managed to whip office off the system (so maybe word wont open itself for no reason in a few months). Next, I'd like to stop these forced updates. I find them kind of invasive and would prefer things...
  7. Stopping the Annoying Forced Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Stopping the Annoying Forced Updates: Hey ya' all. I've been trying to stop these annoying updates. I think I've managed to whip office off the system (so maybe word wont open itself for no reason in a few months). Next, I'd like to stop these forced updates. I find them kind of invasive and would prefer things...
  8. stop forced updates

stop forced updates: Every time Windows updates my computer it messes up everything! I get so frustrated I want just shut it down and dump it. I don't want anymore updates installed but they are forced. I don't use this computer for anything but a few games I let my grandchildren play and some...
  9. How to stop forced updates

How to stop forced updates: How do I stop microsoft from forcing updates unto my pc because I had 212 gb of storage and now I have only less than 50 gb left. I want to sue them severely for forcing their stupid updates on me because it's piss in me of. If they don't stop I will find someway to sue...
  10. Can I STOP Forced Update?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I STOP Forced Update?: Before you say I should read the tutorials, I already did. *Wink I have made the changes to only notify me of updates...like the Tuesday ones. It does do this, but I wait a few days to download and install them to be sure there are no issues reported. Here is what happens...