Windows 10: Is there a way to swap between different monitors

Discus and support Is there a way to swap between different monitors in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have currently got 2 monitors, and will shortly have 3. I have 1 set up as my normal monitor for general usage and gaming, and a second monitor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by davelee199, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Is there a way to swap between different monitors

I have currently got 2 monitors, and will shortly have 3. I have 1 set up as my normal monitor for general usage and gaming, and a second monitor separate on a racing simulator. Currently i have to unplug my display port cable from my pc from the monitor in use for windows not to register it even when it is turned off which causes some windows to open on the wrong monitor etc etc. Is there a way for me to toggle between the 2 monitors to completely disable 1 without having to physically unplug it? also when i get my 3rd monitor which will be the second monitor for my normal usage, will i be able to have that set up with my other monitor and disable both at once when i want to use my simulator?

:)

davelee199, Feb 5, 2021
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Different Backgrounds on each monitor

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you are unable to set different wallpapers on each monitors.

We would suggest you to refer the steps mentioned below and see if that helps.

Method 1: Identify Displays.

Try using the Identify option to identify the displays and then check if you can set different background. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + I, to open
      Settings
    2. Click on System, and select
      Display
      on the left pane.
    3. Now, under Rearrange your displays, click on
      Identify to identify the displays.

Refer screenshot below:

Is there a way to swap between different monitors 8f709fba-58a5-4927-8b85-7b2e6d47a4a3?upload=true.png

Once the displays are identified as Monitor 1 and Monitor 2, try setting the background.

Method 2: Duplicating Displays

One other thing we can try is to set the displays to Duplicate first and then Extend them.

To Duplicate the Displays, press Windows key + P, and select
    Duplicate. Follow the same steps and select Extend.

After Extending the displays, check if we get the option to set different backgrounds.

Method 3: Reinstall Display Drivers.

If Method 1 and 2 didn’t help, we can try uninstalling and reinstalling the Display Drivers. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + X, and select
      Device Manager.
    2. Expand Display adapters.
    3. Now, right click on the Display
      device
      and select Uninstall Device.
    4. Once the device is uninstalled, click on Actions and select
      Scan for hardware changes.
    5. Restart the computer.

Let us know the results.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 5, 2021
  3. Sasqui Win User
    Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Feb 5, 2021
  4. Is there a way to swap between different monitors

Dual Monitors Randomly Swapping sides

I doubt that it is a software issue, but if it could be that the video driver fails and then 'recovers'. However you would get an on-screen message for that. You might want to do a 'clean install' of your driver so that it installs a completely fresh version.

But I'm suspecting that the video card loses the physical connection to one of the monitors for a second or two and defaults back to 1 monitor. Then immediately detects the other one and brings it up but in the natural order that they are connected. This is probably caused by a hardware issue rather than a software one.

1. Are you used the screws on the cables or are you just inserting them? One monitor might be a little finicky about connections. On the other hand, if it is a cable issue and if you have spare cables, maybe try completely different cables first. At least that would eliminate one possible cause.
    2. Your video card could be overheating on one of the connections and resets itself. If your video card has more than 2 connections, try different connections, although the card may still have the problem no matter which output you use.
    3. Your monitors probably have more than one type of connector. Try using different type of cables or use adapters to use a different connection on each of the monitors.
    If you do these tests one cable or monitor at a time, you can find out which was your problem. If you swap out both cables or change both connections at the same time, you may fix it but never know what caused the problem. If you don't care, then toss both of the old cables. If it's a monitor's connection. you'll be wondering next time you need to reconfigure if the monitor's connector is good or not.

In any case, good luck.

OldGuyGeek, Feb 5, 2021
Thema:

Is there a way to swap between different monitors

1. Is there a way to swap between different monitors - Similar Threads - swap between different

2. License swapped between the devices

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    License swapped between the devices: I have a digital license of Windows 10 and a laptop which came with Windows 10 pre-installedAcer Swift 3. Both these devices were linked to my single MS account. The digital license that I had bought, was using it for my Desktop. Recently I swapped the SSD of the desktop and...
  3. License swapped between the devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    License swapped between the devices: I have a digital license of Windows 10 and a laptop which came with Windows 10 pre-installedAcer Swift 3. Both these devices were linked to my single MS account. The digital license that I had bought, was using it for my Desktop. Recently I swapped the SSD of the desktop and...
  4. License swapped between the devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Is there a way to stop my windows from shifting between different monitors when my monitors...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to stop my windows from shifting between different monitors when my monitors...: Hello, I've recently begun using a dual-monitor setup (One 1080p monitor at 100% scaling, one 4K monitor at 150% scaling). One issue that irks me is that every time I come back to my desk after my monitors have turned off, the 4K monitor takes slightly longer to turn back on...
  6. Swapping activations between computers

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Swapping activations between computers: Hello, I purchased a new HP Envy Desktop. It comes with Windows 10 Home (V2004). It replaces my AMD Ryzen home built which has Windows 10 Pro (V20H2). I would like to put the Windows 10 Pro on the HP Envy and the Windows 10 home on the AMD. Is this possible? From searches, it...
  7. Swapping activations between computers

in Windows 10 Support
    Swapping activations between computers: Hello, I purchased a new HP Envy Desktop. It comes with Windows 10 Home (V2004). It replaces my AMD Ryzen home built which has Windows 10 Pro (V20H2). I would like to put the Windows 10 Pro on the HP Envy and the Windows 10 home on the AMD. Is this possible? From searches, it...
  8. Swapping Hard Drives Between Different Brand Laptops

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Swapping Hard Drives Between Different Brand Laptops: I have a Toshiba Satellite with a bad motherboard dropped. I cloned the drive to an SSD and placed it in a new HP. In the Bluetooth devices section, the 2 devices are still listed but I cannot pair them nor can I delete them. I have also tried using a BT dongle with no...
  9. Swapping Different Windows 10 Versions between Motherboards

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Swapping Different Windows 10 Versions between Motherboards: Did some research but haven't found anything that explicitly states how to do it yet. If I purchased a used computer that had Windows 10 Pro activated on it, would it be possible to swap the installation with the Windows 10 Home installation on my existing computer?...
  10. Difference between deleting user profile by different ways

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Difference between deleting user profile by different ways: Profile of a user is corruped in a Domain PC. What is the difference if admin delete the user profile via advance system properties instead from registry editor. 142813