Windows 10: Is there a wildcard for the year within a date search?

Discus and support Is there a wildcard for the year within a date search? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello I would like to search for all my photos taken on a specific day, regardless of year e.g. return all photos taken on the 25 December of any year.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by doriefish, Jan 4, 2021.

1. doriefish Win User

Is there a wildcard for the year within a date search?

Hello
    I would like to search for all my photos taken on a specific day, regardless of year e.g. return all photos taken on the 25 December of any year.

I am trying to do this with the datetaken property but I can't figure out the wildcard for the year. I have tried:

datetaken:25/12
    datetaken:25/12/????
    datetaken:25/12/*
    datetaken:25/12/20*
    datetaken:25/12/20??

Does a wildcard exist in this capacity?

If not, any suggestions of a way I can achieve what I want?

The OneDrive 'on this day' would be perfect if you could pick a day but you can't.

Any other photo software or advance explorer search software might work but not having much luck finding any. I am using windows 10 64bit

Thank you!

:)

doriefish, Jan 4, 2021

2. Using Wildcard to search in windows Explorer

Hi Jerry,

To isolate your concern regarding Wildcard search on
    Windows File Explorer
    , we suggest that you run an SFC
    (System File Checker) tool
    to check for system file corruptions and fix it. Once done, restart your computer and check if the issue persists.

In addition, you can manage the search options to give you the most thorough search by following these steps:

• Click File tab on Windows File Explorer, click
      Change folder and search options.

• Click Search tab and select Don't use the index when searching in file folders for system files (search might take longer).
    • You can also select Always search file names and contents (this might take several minutes).

Let us know if the solution above works for you.

Joseph Ban, Jan 4, 2021
  3. OldW7Guy Win User
    File Explorer Search fails wildcard partial numeric name search.

The indexing trouble shooter did not find any problem.
    System File Check result was: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
    Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.10586.0 found No component store corruption detected.

I do not believe that my system has any problem as the wildcard partial numeric name search issue occurs on all Windows 10 systems of family and friends.
    I believe the priority of this issue should be raised because the Search Results vary depending on the number of files involved creating confusion and incorrect results. With less than 40 files the wildcard partial numeric name search returns the correct
    results. With more than 50 files the wildcard search becomes a whole number search only listing files that have the exact number. With *2345 in the search box and more than 50 files in focus, Search will Not list 123456.txt but will only list 2345.txt.
    With less than 40 files in focus All files with any numeric string containing 2345 will be listed.

OldW7Guy, Jan 4, 2021
  4. Is there a wildcard for the year within a date search?

Windows 10 File Explorer Search Wildcard Characters Not Working

Dear Boulder_Man,

Thanks for your input, but as I posted, I managed to solve the problem in (unique to Windows 10?),
    by turning the indexing option off, even though I'm not searching for system files. That forces it to search through the actual file directories, rather than some out of date index list.

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to mark my own answer as "Mark as Answer" or even "Helpful."

I'm not sure which version of Windows you are using, but there definitely is a field specifier,
    "name:"
    I use it quite often. It searches the filename field, which appears to have been renamed 'Name' in Windows 10 (possibly an earlier version). See the first field in the image above.

BTW, I tested your tilde suggestion, but it didn't work. From earlier Windows Search releases, the tilde (undocumented) seems to ensure that wildcard characters, such as asterisks, are treated as wildcards and not actual characters. But that actually isn't
    my problem, as the index list is incomplete, hence the files are not found.

If you do 'upgrade' to Windows 10, do note that a number of things are still a bit wonky. And I would recommend staying away from Windows 10
    Home, unless you want Microsoft to periodically seize your laptop and force a re-boot when it sees fit!

Kind regards,

LostInSpace88, Jan 4, 2021
Thema:

Is there a wildcard for the year within a date search?

1. Is there a wildcard for the year within a date search? - Similar Threads - wildcard within date

2. Wildcards in Searches Using File Explorer Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wildcards in Searches Using File Explorer Windows 10: There must be some kind of enabling/setting thing that I have messed up. I have a folder with two files named FileA.dox and FileB.docx. I can do a search on this folder using the search string name:FIL* and get the two files returned. I can do a search on name:*Fil* and get...
  3. Wildcards in Searches Using File Explorer Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wildcards in Searches Using File Explorer Windows 10: There must be some kind of enabling/setting thing that I have messed up. I have a folder with two files named FileA.dox and FileB.docx. I can do a search on this folder using the search string name:FIL* and get the two files returned. I can do a search on name:*Fil* and get...
  4. Wildcards in Searches Using File Explorer Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. What is the wildcard for the year within a date search?

What is the wildcard for the year within a date search?: Hello I would like to search for all my photos taken on a specific day, regardless of year e.g. return all photos taken on the 25 December of any year. I am trying to do this with the datetaken property but I can't figure out the wildcard for the year. I have tried:...
  6. Can't do wildcard search for file extensions in explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't do wildcard search for file extensions in explorer?: This is weird, I'm trying to find all the *.mov files in my dropbox folder on my C: drive. I seem to be able to find *.JPG (when I use *.jpg lower case), or at least some of them, but *.mov and *.pdf etc doesn't work. The search returns nothing. But I can see them, they are...
  7. Searching within a folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Searching within a folder: My latest update has changed the way the search function works. Now after entering the data I want found I have to click a blue arrow as if to say "go". That's an improvement over the previous way of having to backspace to let the app know to search now. However, now when I...
  8. Qualified Path Wildcard?

in Windows 10 Support
    Qualified Path Wildcard?: Microsoft Windows Version 10.0.18363.836 1909 Pro Administrator: Admin cmd C:\>"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2005.5-0\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate Signature update started . . . Signature update finished. C:\>"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows...
  9. search by date

search by date: struggling with win 10's hiding my work; need to find a document made on a certain day. why is this so hard? do i want the program excel? do I want "file explorer?" what is this SEARCH on the "file explorer" screen? clicking there gets me a list of individual words...
  10. Tenforums - Search and then search within results

in Windows 10 Support
    Tenforums - Search and then search within results: Up front: I haven't found a way of doing it, so I don't know if it is already possible. IF it is already possible, then below serves no purpose, but then again, I hope someone will tell me 'how to..' Is there a way to perform a search and then do a 2nd (maybe in case of...